• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

WTB - watchmaker lathe

trevj

Ultra Member
I guess I'm a bit amazed, at the prices folk want for a WW pattern lathe with almost no collets.

I bought a Marshall Peerless labelled lathe, with a three way compound, hand tool rest, 60+ collets, a faceplate, collet holding tailstock, and a 3 jaw chuck, and a motor, for essentially beer money back in the mid eighties (which may as well mean 1933 to some! LOL!).

Been a handy tool to have, when the work I had for it, suited it!

Guy offered it to me for $125. He had another guy there trying to scalp me when I showed up, had to run down to the bank and grab another $25 to seal the deal! Been a pretty good buy.

Dunno if I'll part with it before being buried. Kinda hard to put a value on capability. I figure by the time I'm gone, the stuff's value will be mostly in the metal it's made from...

There is a shop in Mississauga that grind and sells ultra tiny drill bits, the smallest being around 0.002", yes I got to hold one but was not allowed to touch the cutter as it would break with casual contact. I could see the shadows of the flutes cutting edge as you looked at under bright lights. Amazing!

I was also to that there are no machines in North Amercian capable of using the bit.

Industrial application I'm told is the PC Board industry, among other things.