• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

WTB: Atlas 10-F lathe Hor. Countershaft Assy

trlvn

Ultra Member
Hi:

I've just acquired an Atlas 10 inch metal lathe but it is missing the countershaft assembly. It is a model TH-54 so I understand it requires the horizontal style countershaft assembly, like this:

Horizontal Countershaft Assembly.jpg

As well, I would need a motor pulley (10-428 with either 1/2" or 5/8" bore), and both of the guard covers (10-18 and 10F-28).

Anybody have an orphan countershaft just hanging around? ;)

Craig
I'm located in Oakville, ON.

trlvn

Ultra Member
It wouldn’t be hard to make something up.
I don't weld so that would make it tougher. Not sure how easy it would be to get the matching 4-step pulley opposite the one in the headstock. Also, the mechanism to engage/disengage the belts would be a tad tricky to get right.

Other than that, piece of cake! ;)

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
Many thanks to TOBARApprentice, I now have virtually the parts I need to get the lathe running again. Incredibly generous both with the parts and showing me around his awesome, albeit tiny, shop.

BTW, we were talking about the 9-109 needle bearings in the countershaft. I stopped in at my favourite bearing supply place on the way home, and the answer was a definite no. But, it made me wonder about just pressing in an oilite bearing. If I understand correctly, the shaft always turns slower than the motor so maybe a max of 1,150 RPM? I think a bronze bearing could stand that for a long time. Just have to drill an oil hole through the 9-109 bearing race and give it a couple of drops with each use?

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
Many thanks to TOBARApprentice, I now have virtually the parts I need to get the lathe running again. Incredibly generous both with the parts and showing me around his awesome, albeit tiny, shop.
Just wanted to follow up. It turned out I needed to fabricate a couple of parts for the motor mount and order some felt washers from eBay. Finally, the lathe (Atlas 10-F) ran under power yesterday for the first time in who knows how many years!! In fact, I noticed that the lead screw was unexpectedly hard to turn. I was worried that something might be broken in the forward/reverse selector.

Today, I took the forward/reverse box apart. Nothing was broken. The oil was so old it was acting like glue rather than a lubricant! How many decades does that take!! The guy I bought it from said he had it for 25 years and never ran it--he didn't have the countershaft assembly. I think it probably took many more years than that for the oil to get that sticky. Everything now moves freely after I cleaned off the old junk and reassembled with lots of light oil.

Next steps are to check out the power cross feed. That selector seems to be stuck, as well. Not sure if I'll get time this afternoon or not.

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey Craig,

Great job getting an old classic running again! Did you go with a needle bearing or did you fabricate a bearing bush? If you went with Oilite bushing did you find a good source? I am just going through a lathe restore and it has a few Oilite bushings.

trlvn

Ultra Member
... Did you go with a needle bearing or did you fabricate a bearing bush? If you went with Oilite bushing did you find a good source? I am just going through a lathe restore and it has a few Oilite bushings.
I stayed with the needle bearings. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to keep this lathe. It is just too big to fit my little shop. And, I didn't want to take on a major retrofit before I even got the lathe to the stage where is can make chips. With lots of grease, I think it can run the way it is for quite a long time. If/when I sell it, I'll explain the issues.

I think I saw a good selection of Oilite bearings on eBay for what looked like pretty small dollars. Sorry, I didn't bookmark them.

Craig

* The parts list calls these "Races", part 9-108.