Would this be possible

Bandit

Super User
Anyway, reread the posts, thinking about the 3d printing. One of my sons nearly lives on the computer and the 3d printer, he is glueing pieces he makes together as the printer work space is to too small. Also he says this also means more control over printing, as in not printing for many hours and finding it isn't rite and into the can with it. Which does happen.
So he makes apiece, has index/ alinement marks, tendion joints, checks fit, glues it, and carrys on. Believe he is working with PLA? and does the glueing/welding with a small hand held pen that uses PLA? left over strands, some pieces/parts glued with other compatable glues. He is building a full size R2D2 ( Star Wars) and hopes to have some controlled movement when finished, and other ?? The material is somewhat like wood, can be cut, carved, sanded, glued/welded/melted. All amazing in many ways.
A stock could be made in pieces and glued together as you were talking about, maybe could be used as is for lite recoiling calibres, I would not be surprised to find out its being done. I think son said or I have read/heard somewhere that some of the 3d printer programs/slicers? will mirror and or invert stuff. The scanning appears to be the tricky part, though I read in May Maker mag about scanner apps for your phone? Do able?
Please take note, as I am not sure of what I have read, been told about, or even thought about 3d printing, rite or wrong, as I have not done any. ( yeeett??)
This is a rabbit/worm hole that I find to be amazing/over welming in a lot of ways, ----- son gave me his older smaller printer, what the PLA !! Another thing to wrap my mind around, project 101?? I guess.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes it speeds things up for benchrest,not so much other wise.

Yes, basically it's a single shot stunt.

My very first shotgun was a COOEY single shot. I hunted ducks with two shells in my mouth for faster loading ..... :eek:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I shoot right handed while being left eye dominant. I don't want to convert to left guns either. I shoot benchrest. Although not usually the top shooter, I have been up there occasionally, so I am not missing the entire target by using the wrong eye. Just saying that cause I I figure unless you are trying to be the top shooter (ie super competitive, rushing, keeping both eyes open ) does not aligning the scope or sights for your perspective, and sighting in the rifle at the given distance, not account for the parallax error due to the use of the non-dominant eye? This has always kind of confused me. I absolutely agree that it would be nice to use the dominant eye but the test for it compares a 2 eye image to a one eye image (finger moving scenario). Viewing through a scope is a one eye image. With only one eye open, I have (probably?) set me scope up for my eye.... idk

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I shoot right handed while being left eye dominant.

Apparently, he has a bum right eye so it isn't happening. We are focussing on getting the perfect stock for what's left of him that still works! LOL!

I thought my benchrest days were over when I started to shake. But just like you point out, you really need both eyes to read the flags and conditions to be competitive. When I had my stroke and lost my left eye, it was definitely over. I can now officially and proudly join the "when I do my part" club..... LMAO!

Seems oddly nice and satisfying to be an old geezer has-been with no pressure and a growing number of excuses......

I have no idea why I'm building yet another rifle that really will shoot better than I can..... I guess you can take the boy away from the gun but you can't take the gun away from the boy..... Or is it the other way around..... LOL!

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sorry. I realized after I posted that my input was not relevant to the original question. I started following the comments regarding dominant eyes and forgot about the left hand shooting position being the point.

Good luck to you.

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Bandit! Thank you! That is what I was wondering, now I need to find a 12 year old with a printer : ) My plan is to have the back half of the stock printed for use as LH and use as a template for the copier It should be easy enough to add a fake wooden forearm with the correct dimensions then swap in the other stock to do the barrel channel and action inletting. Now I just have to convince the fellow with the copier this is something he wants to do : ) Have a great day!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Hi Bandit! Thank you! That is what I was wondering, now I need to find a 12 year old with a printer : ) My plan is to have the back half of the stock printed for use as LH and use as a template for the copier It should be easy enough to add a fake wooden forearm with the correct dimensions then swap in the other stock to do the barrel channel and action inletting. Now I just have to convince the fellow with the copier this is something he wants to do : ) Have a great day!

That sounds like it might be the hardest part of the job :D. If you can convince him that this might be a service he could provide for more future business it might sweeten the deal. Perhaps you could find someone local to do the printing and he could expand his customer base so that people could send him an stl and he could make them a custom stock from that. Far fetched and I might be grasping at straws, but it could help butter him up enough to give it a try lol.

Bandit

Super User
Theres not just 12 year olds with printers! Money is sometimes a good club. I wish I knew how to do something with this printer I have! Patience grasshopper, patience.
Don't go to a school etc. for help with this project!
The person doing the stock may have a 12 year old showing how to use it, if there's a computer or phone attached to it.
If you have grand kids or know a local kid, it might be time to get 3d printer of your own and " you know I have this here 3d printer and I am having trouble figureing it out and getting it to work".

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Bandit! I have studiously avoided the 3d Printer black hole. I spend too much time trying to get my small cnc mill to do what I want in between other things and I really only use 2d drawings on it. There just isn't enough time and brain power for all this : ) I'm on the search for a kid with a printer : ). Already got some leads from my grandkids : )

Bandit

Super User
I agree about the time and brain power, though now have the time, the brain power seems to be down, maybe need a defrag and a ram increase or send some stuff to "the cloud"?? sunny and clear today so that's out.
Good on the grandkids, may have to teach them "a little shooten".

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
No problem, no poly ticks. 2 edits I think O.K. now.

I personally think it was ok as is, or I would have fixed it. I was just worried about the responses. Been there had that happen before. All too bad if you ask me.

Bandit

Super User
So doing some rereading again, and trying to think out side the box abit or make the dam thing bigger. You have a cnc mill (Kelly McLaughlin), can you get some wood/plastic/metal, draw up and program or run in manual, make some pieces, glue, screw, weld them together to make up a model stock for the stock maker.
I used to have a box of old stocks that I cut up for parts or nice wood for modding stocks I was shooting. None of them of much use to me, some made from what ever. Some made from fir,pine,??? 2X4s but appeared to have been proof of concept and use. Many were original, but modded heavily.
Anyway maybe an idea.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Regrading printers, There is the tinker class of printers, that need constant fiddling and tweaking to get them to work, and they have a loyal following that seem to enjoy fiddling with the printers themselves as much as printing stuff WITH them, and then there are the printers that, for the most part, just WORK right out of the box. Aside from initial setup, and regular maintenance, they just do the job you bought them for. Now which printers are in each class is a hotly debated topic, but a printer like the popular ender 3 IMO would fall right on the line, though leaning slightly to the working class. Something like a Prusa would fall into the working class, but you will pay more up front for it.

I mention that, because if you buy a printer in the working class, actually making stuff with them couldn't be more dead simple. The software (slicer programs) are very intuitive, and widely covered on youtube with a million videos on how to use them. It's not like a CNC mill/lathe at all, and an order of magnitude easier to setup, and print something. Just different. At the price point they are at now, for something like an ender 3, it's pretty crazy to think about the utility per dollar that they offer for a creative home shop machinist/tinkerer that likes to build stuff. It rivals the angle grinder and drill press for utility per dollar IMO. YMMV

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Bandit! If push came to shove I have to equipment and skills to make one from scratch using the existing one for a model. I have ads many places for an original and i believe I've sourced another to use in the mean time, as I say I have other guns to shoot so it's not a desperate thing I was just thinking if the tech exists and is common enough I'd make use of it. as always there are many roads to a solution. : ) I have time I'll be patient as i explore the possibilities.

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Dan! I don't see me doing that myself. I don't have the room or the desire to do it. Not sure why but working in plastics etc just isn't my think, I've had some stuff printed over time and for me other than a development tool I have no real interest. Ive looked at laser engravers with much more interest. When I was in the motorcycle restoration business, Several times I drew and had both gaskets and foam air box seals that were NLA cut with one. It is an excellent method for those types of things. 3 D printing is cool but In my opinion it's not quite there yet for the layman. I could be wrong as I don't get or have much exposure to it yet but we'll see like I said to Bandit, I'll be patient and continue to explore options, I'll find a solution, I always do : )

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Yeah, it's not for everybody. And I can see how a lot of people think they're for just printing plastic trinkets, toys and brittle parts, but one of the main things I've used my printers for is for casting patterns. I use it more for stuff like that, than for end use plastic items. A laser cutter is something I'd like to add to the shop as well. Everytime I have the money saved up for one, something else pops up and robs the cookie jar. I'll get one someday....

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
-Back to the eye dominance and hand dominance. When I was young, I could bat in baseball either side of the plate. Later I became left handed batting only. For all two handed sports and activities (using a full sized axe, for instance I am left hand holding, but every single handed sport, such as squash, badminton, etc, I am right handed.

When I was smaller I found myself squinting my right eye while at bat. I might have been left eye dominant. When I was 15 I was in a fire that damaged my left eye, and now I must be right eye dominant, as my vision in my left eye is impaired. Weird brains, humans have!!!