Would this be possible

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Folks! I recently bought a target 22 with a RH stock, I am a LH shooter, I naively thought I would find a LH stock and all would be well : ) Thats proving more difficult than I'd imagined as the rifle is late 60's vintage. would it be possible to scan and create a LH version? I have a fellow that will copy and existing stock but he cannot invert the features, the pistol grip on these stocks are quite contoured and it has a cheek piece. I've included a pic of the RH stock below. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• CIL_190_Right.jpeg
    CIL_190_Right.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 22

Kelly McLaughlin

I should also say the stocj from the pistol grip forward is identical RH or LH in those days I gues it was a less expensive way to make a LH version, use a RH action and change the back of the stock to accomodate LH shooters.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Learn to shoot right handed. ;)
When my right eye crapped out I had to re-learn left-handed. Still haven't found a lefty rifle I like, so I hunt with a single-shot break-action carabine "Handy Riffle". For where I hunt it's perfect - short so it doesn't tangle much in the brush, stainless and plastic, so I don't feel bad being a bit sloppy with my care and feeding.
But re-learning off-handed was a painful process. Not nearly as painful as re-learning the bow left-handed...

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Paul! It's not a critical thing with me It's just my left eye is dominant, I'm actually right handed So these rifles were perfect for me. They were the Rifles they used in the Cil target shooting program in the 60's and 70's and we lusted after them at the time but no one I knew could afford one. This one came up and the action has had very little use so...... Here I am : )

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Tried it in one of the 3d slicers I use. Others probably work too.
Given my google search for a gun stl, the police are probably on the way over.

Attachments

• IMG_5059.jpeg
    IMG_5059.jpeg
    641.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5058.jpeg
    IMG_5058.jpeg
    645.4 KB · Views: 7

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
In short, yes it would be possible. Mirroring a model in cad is a trivial process. The trick would be scanning with high enough resolution to capture the accuracy needed without spending $$$. While there are cheap options now (I have a Pop2 scanner) there would still be a lot of time involved in cleaning up the model to make it usable. I assume your friend has a router based dulicator that needs a hard model for the stylus to run on? A 3d printed model of the mirrored scan would/should work fine.

I think with some creative setups you'll be able to use the existing stock to copy everything forward of the grip, then make a mirrored 3d printed model to swap out for the grip/butt section. I think it's a very plausible workflow to get what you want. It just might take some creativity and patience to get the 2 models to jive together.

If it's just the finger relief on the pistol grip that is making it handed, and not an offset butt or anything else really tricky, you could simply fill that cutout with some modeling clay, or a bondo plug making it material positive and symmetrical and duplicate the stock like that, then cut the relief on the other side yourself by hand the old fashioned way with rasps, gouges and sandpaper. For the cheek piece, you can build it up to be symmetrical and carve down the rh side once duplicated. That might get you a better more personal fitting stock anyway.

Last edited:

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You're going to have a problem. Who has a coordinate measuring machine big enough to scan a whole rifle stock? Converting it to left hand in software program won't be a problem, but then you need a CNC 4-axis router to machine it out.

Best way will be to have your friend copy your existing stock from a blank, but leave the grip section alone. Then you grab some chisels and rasps, and go to it to fit your hand specifically.

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Folks! The stocks are the same up to the rear of the action. there is a cheek piece and the pistol grip to deal with, the action is a single shot so the barrel channel and action bed are quite simple. what keeps me from making a stock is the pistol grip, it's well contoured and a very nice fit. I doubt I can do as nice a job as Anschutz did.
Could the but be made in pieces and glued together? We're not making a stock just a model. The fellow who would copy it does this for a living so he has all the required equipment to do that part but I need to supply a one piece blank, he has no interest in messing around trying to index two pieces, like one for the forearm and another for the but. There will be a cost attached no matter which way I jump. If I buy a used stock, if I buy an after market, if I build one. I'd like to come up with the closest replica I can. Thanks for all your input.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I guess trade for a left handed version is not likely a possibility? It sounds awkward shooting to me...left eye viewing but right handed bolt.

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Don! you'd be surprised at how many of us there is : ) It's common enough because in the 60's and 70's a true LH firearm was very rare so a lot of companies went the route Anchutz did and used an existing action but made the stock accomodate southpaws. I've got a lot of feelers out we'll see what shakes out.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thats not helpful : ) my eyes don't want to cooperate.

I understand. I'd do it anyway, but if you insist you need to understand that only a few aftermarket stock makers make left handed versions. Even for those that do, sourcing is a challenge. And even once sourced, fitting to your rifle can also be challenging and sometimes virtually impossible when the action is taken into account. Consider shopping for a new Left Hand Rifle and just sell the RH one to help pay for the LH one. I'm virtually certain this will be the lowest cost way to go.

I have carved a few stocks from fancy wood blocks. This gets you a stock you could never buy at a price you can actually afford. But it's a lot of work and only suitable for the most patient of men. Basically, you draw the side and vertical profiles and then remove whatever doesn't belong. I have always inletted for the action afterward but lots of guys inlet first and then carve.

Since you know a fellow who can duplicate for you, you could also consider just hacking a blank out and then add wood filler to smooth out the master, and make the grip and cheek pad fit. You can add and remove filler to your hearts content. But this only works with a really good duplicator.

Anshutz is a big name especially in Europe. I'd also check to see if they have a stock that fits.

Bandit

Super User
Anschutz did make a number of left hand rifles, and I think they still do. However I don't remember the rite hand action in a left hand stock (I am not an expert on them). I looked for an Anschutz in left for a while, but too much money for me at the time. CIL sold some Anschutz models stamped CIL on them for a while, as per yours, and I had a clip feed lite sportster for a while (rite hand). Others may have been offered?
Some rifles fit well to left hand with a rite hand bolt, however generally not good for speed, as have to move it away from face to cycle.
Yes it is possible to glue up pieces to make the butt or a stock if wanted. Rough out with angle grinder, chisels, planes, axe, etc. IF the person doing the copying can do the inletting after the stock shaping, may allow the glued model for stock shaping, then original stock put in machine for inletting. Or vise versa. Doable, not sure, might need a little extra messing about or a few mula more.
Hold the rite hand stock up to a mirror to see what it should, may look like.
If there is a biathlon team around, someone may have a lead for a stock also, as Anschutz is common for some, and there is likely some leftys there. Some have switched to a Russian? rifle action, with Anschutz barrel and a linkage for leftys to work a rite hand bolt as Anschutz appeared to have a problem with bolt handles coming off in very cold weather.
They say leftys don't live as long as rite handed people, small wonder, remember skill saws and drills with locks for the triggers that locked when used left handed.
My daughter learned to shoot left or rite as she felt like at each time. Some things I am not sure which way to do, so just do it. Went golfing one time, rented clubs. Went out with one rite and 2 left clubs, still don't know weither I am left or rite handed for golf, that's O.K. as my dog knows more about golf then I do. And he's better at it.

Last edited:

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Bandit. The thing about shooting is everyone typically has a dominant eye. There have been a number of suggestions to "just learn to shoot Right handed" If you have a dominant eye, which I do thats nigh on impossible. As a young man I entered the Cil safety training program which had a competitive shooting component, on the first day the range officer immediately pulled me off the mat. I'd learned to shoot from my brother (who's Right eyed : ) ) They stood me up and asked me to point my finger at an object on the far wall closing an eye in turn. it was determined I was shooting RH when I should be shooting LH as my left eye was dominant, even though I'm Right handed. What i had been doing was leaning over the stock to use the left eye without realizing. so they set the first mat the opposite direction as they were angled for prone shooting and I was forever after position 1. I have the same result golfing as you do, Hockey I was a left handed player as was baseball.
When I mentioned gluing pieces I was thinking of 3d printing the stock in parts and gluing up a blank for the copier. I'm not in a rush and I have access to a complete wood working shop and my own machine tools so I may in the end just make a stock. This gun is in fact a Cil Anschutz 190, a gun we lusted after as trainees but couldn't afford so it has a nostalgic aspect. I have other rifles as I'm returning to shooting in my retirement as i find I miss it. Have a great long weekend!

Bandit

Super User
Yes, I well know about the dominant eye stuff, as we found my wife was left eye dom. and rite handed, couldn't figure why she nearly couldn't hit the ground at first. She learned to shoot left hand, got so she shouldn't be aurgued with, better shot then me. I have always been left handed and left eye dom. my daughter what ever she wants to be that day.
Didn't realize you were talking 3d printer. I just used wood and glued as needed with epoxy, sometimes reinforcing pistol grip areas with fibre glass arrow shafts inside. Most stocks are short from end of butt to trigger for me.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The thing about shooting is everyone typically has a dominant eye. There have been a number of suggestions to "just learn to shoot Right handed" If you have a dominant eye, which I do thats nigh on impossible.

I know it might seem like I was being flippant about switching from LH to RH, but I was actually dead serious. I hope you can accept a bit firmer push - which you can absolutely ignore. I really do mean well.

One of the things you could not know till you've been here a while is that many of the members have very significant experience in the shooting sports and many shoot competitively. Machining and shooting interests seem to be linked in some mysterious way. My own experience is Benchrest Competition. I shake too much to compete anymore, but I can still kill 9 out of 10 flies at 200 yards when the wind is steady. I never could read wind flags very well, but because I am blind in my left eye now, the flags might as well not be there today at all. I also shot competition trap for many years and I still build rifles for friends and family.

One of the things that has changed in the coaching world over the years is this business of dominant eyes. We used to think people were born with a dominant eye. Today, we know that the brain can be taught to switch dominant eyes. The process is amazing and simple. For example, you can wear glasses that flip the entire world upside down and about 2 weeks later, your mind will flip them right-side up again. It's the same for your dominant eye. If you wear a patch for about 3 weeks, your eye dominance will flip. That is what is done for left eye dominant RH shooters today.

Another personal example is water skiing. I used to be quite good. I could dunk my elbow into the water on a slalom ski. Then I joined a competition team and the coach watched me a bit and then announced I was skiing left handed when I was in fact right handed. He insisted that I switch to Right handed and assured me that by two weeks I would ski better than I ever did skiing left handed. He was right. I'm too old to ski anymore, but I still teach the kids to slalom ski according to their hands not their foot dominance. It's always worked out great even for those like me who were already quite accomplished.

I won't continue to flog a dead horse, but I'd be thrilled to see you give it another try. However, its no big deal if you don't. I just wanted to be clear about my advice and to qualify it. Regardless, I'll be happy to help you make your optimum stock in any way that I can.

Some rifles fit well to left hand with a rite hand bolt, however generally not good for speed, as have to move it away from face to cycle.

Oddly enough, it is very common in Benchrest for right hand shooters to opt for a left hand port to SPEED UP the shot to shot process. Competitors who like to get as many shots in during a condition find that they can do so a lot faster if they flip the bolt with one hand and feed the chamber with the other.

Bandit

Super User
Yes it speeds things up for benchrest,not so much other wise. I have shot some small bore silo, cowboy silo, 50/50, western a fair bit, and trail a bit. Black a few times, but smoke nearly kills me, and there is the surprise of a flame in front of your face shooting a rite handed left handed. That was a good laugh for others.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I had a friend in Victoria ( Al Page ) that use to take us to his range for black powder, pistol & shotgun He also had a small cannon that was used for races and events.