• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Conversely, a "reason" to get better at modelling.

Disagree. Modeling a known item is like an exercise in a course you take.
Always doing one's own design rarely takes one off the path of what they know.

I knew when I wrote that that others would disagree. It's only my opinion as a fellow what can't seem to get past SusCAD.

OK, go for it. Then maybe you can help me. Cuz I seem to be too old to learn.
 
I knew when I wrote that that others would disagree. It's only my opinion as a fellow what can't seem to get past SusCAD.

OK, go for it. Then maybe you can help me. Cuz I seem to be too old to learn.
I learned how to use AlibreCAD by taking the Gingery lathe 2d drawings and making parametric 3d ones.
Until Alibre I just couldn't figure out CAD.
So perhaps try downloading the trial copy of AlibreAtom, which @DavidR8 tried and perhaps it will be the tripping point for you.
Take some simple 2d drawings and make 3d versions.
 
Today's debate, should I 3D model the designs!
Not even a debate IMO. Of course you should. You will improve your CAD skills even if its a known design entity. From here the options & utlity are endless. Make variants, different shapes different dimensions, even applying color or texture with drag & drop FX (depending on the modeller). Or maybe you want to make a custom case or pen stand, you already have a pen model to see what it looks like as an assembly. Some of these variants may be for personal documentation or mechanical curiosity in terms of construction. But you could also incorporate them into a sales environment if that is of any benefit. Sometimes people do this photo apps just dragging in a color overlay, but of course you are locked into th eoriginal photograph. You cant dynamically orientate it to another angle, or slice a cross section, or generate an exploded view or...
 
Back
Top