I don't even have to leave the house for that!Walk over to HD, buy a nut and make a thread to fit it.
@Susquatch a first attempt at single point threading (with a self-ground tool).
Is it good? Probably not.
Do I have anything to verify it against? No, it's 12tpi on some random diameter of delrin.
BUT I did it and I now at least understand the basic process. I promised I would get to it in time! (You can call me Molasses Michael)
The thread root suffers from random release.
When I zoom in on your threading tool, I see an arc on the left side while the right side is straight.
The tops of each thread are flat. That is good - they should be like that.
Basically the cutter moves sideways without increasing the depth of cut.
Absolutely. I was going to do some more practice with the delrin because it's quite easy to work with before jumping over to my other materials. I had a few notes on my commonly used materials over here too https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/tool-grinding-question-back-rake.20563/post-249181Looking good. When you get a nice thread you are happy with, try something close to the same size on your pen blank material so its apple to apples. I can think of a number of reasons why the blank may be less forgiving. High resin content & hardness should be similar results, but if you have interesting things in the mixture, it might actually tend to tear it out of the matrix & yield a rougher finish. I could see that happening in wood blanks too even though they are resin infused.
but I'll figure out something to manually finish it.
I also read about recommendations to include a very small flat at the tip of the tool. Is that to achieve the same effect, or for something else?
Considering transposing gears, my brain much prefers metric. I guess I could move my entire design spec over to imperial dimensions but it feels so....
Need to get my head around target minor diameters for given pitches.
Will need to figure out how to grind an internal tool too.
I prefer imperial. But I can do metric when I need to. It is my view that hobby machinists need to be comfortable doing both. Don't be tempted to lock yourself into one or the other. Do what the job dictates.
Yes, you will. I usually cheat. I have ground many inside tools over the years but it's a lot of grinding. So I usually buy blanks already ground into the right basic shape and then tune them for what I want.
There is another step you will have to learn
“ How to pick up a thread “
once it has been removed from the chuck.
Just occurred to me that I can grind my threading tool off-center to get closer to the shoulder. Will try that.
Gotta do a facing/shoulder cutter as well, then I'll have my external bits mostly in hand...
Good to see you making progress, but I still wonder why you are spending so much time grinding a massive cutter when 3/16" one is more than adequate for what you are doing.
i think he was carving that tip out of 3/8" wide cutter blank.I could be wrong, but I think he is just using what he has.
But I'm with you. Smaller is much easier.