I also wonder if I should try shimming the tailstock nose up a little to offset bed wear. No harm in trying.
Delightfully there's almost no one domestically who sells alumilite blanks. This is probably the cheapest you'll find, or I can send you a rod if you like https://turningnorth.ca/products/halloween-townWhere can I order a small bit of that material you use. I'd like to play with it for the learning experience.
This is probably the cheapest you'll find, or I can send you a rod if you like
I do have a threading insert I can try for external threading until I get grinding set up. May be worth it to poke at the process.
I've worked with quite a few resins & composite materials. I have an unsubstantaited hunch the threading results are related to the material or setup in conjunction with material. Not to get into details but its very easy to prove. Chuck up a piece of free maching brass, 12L14 or even common 6061 aluminum & cut the threads using the same dimensions & setup. The die cut threads should be acceptably nice & accurate. If not, it points at mechanical/setup issues (assuming the die is new & good gondition).
Is that the rod you use?
Is there a better colour?
Chuck up a piece of free maching brass, 12L14 or even common 6061 aluminum & cut the threads using the same dimensions & setup. The die cut threads should be acceptably nice & accurate. If not, it points at mechanical/setup issues (assuming the die is new & good gondition).
A die handles the need for progressively deeper cuts with an internal taper on the cutting edges. That sacrifices full thread depth at the shoulder.
Threading to the shoulder would certainly be an improvement, though not strictly necessary since it can be designed around. I promise I'll try to clear room for the grinder soon 😉
Nah we're talking about the same thing, you're just being more detailed and accurate. I know exactly what you mean.I think maybe I'm not being clear enough. It's not the shoulder that's an issue. The issue is the tapered thread depth that results from running the die to a shoulder.
AXA, yep!Maybe just a touch up with a stone after some top rake mods, do I remember right, a quick change post?
Should be able to sharpen it without too much drama...

