• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

I need to reassemble the spindle assembly fully before anything definitive but this seems very close.

I've got stuff to make a nicer handle on the end too, but that would get in the way of the gear cover in hindsight.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260114_014629808.jpg
    PXL_20260114_014629808.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
I hope this works.

Then at least you can use the machine for some pen action.

You can buy 3 and 4 jaw chucks on mt3 arbors as well, which might just get you by or at least let you fabricate something to fix it.

Maybe the MT3 route takes you long enough that you just sell the lathe in a year after using it a bunch and upgrade….
 
A 12" length of all-thread is ... $3.38 at the Home Despot at the end of the block, I'll take the lazy route for now!

I get it. But I'd still make my own because I can make it better that what the bulk stuff is like. At a minimum, make yourself a centering collar for the back end so the rod stays centered in the spindle. The Morse taper will automatically center it at the front end.
 
Thankfully the marring is below the level of the taper and doesn't seem to contact the shank!

I don't know what size you need. I have reamers for 0,1,2,3,&4. Happy to loan you the one you need. But I'm guessing the shipping would make buying one more economical at $36.

 
Back
Top