.... I'm pretty not smart 😉You put the draw bar through the gear cover when they have handwheels on them..... 😉
Probably get you further than lifting heavy things has gotten me. 😛.... I'm pretty not smart 😉
I need to reassemble it properly (after kids are in bed) before I expect a real reading...What kind of runout are you seeing?
A 12" length of all-thread is ... $3.38 at the Home Despot at the end of the block, I'll take the lazy route for now!
I believe this is my high point. Is that .001" (one thou) TIR?What kind of runout are you seeing?
Yeah as soon as I put it together I realized I wanted something to center it.I get it. But I'd still make my own because I can make it better that what the bulk stuff is like. At a minimum, make yourself a centering collar for the back end so the rod stays centered in the spindle. The Morse taper will automatically center it at the front end.
Yup. That's pretty alright all things considered.I believe this is my high point. Is that .001" (one thou) TIR?
Looks pretty promising. Mark how it's orientated in the spindle with a felt marker, and maybe you could play around rotating it, choose the best location and mark it with something more permanent
Hard to complain about .001"

Hi Michael, Guys,I don't mind buying one to prevent damage. Especially if someone points me to a suitable/good enough unit.
Thankfully the marring is below the level of the taper and doesn't seem to contact the shank!
I'm not convinced that reaming the taper is necessary.