• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

No, I suspect not.

It does feel like the the "clean up and try to re-extend the shoulder with a collar" route is looking more like the same option.
 
Seems like the current options are...

1) Try to use the current spindle as is. At worst there may be unresolvable alignment issues, but at best I may be able to use chucks with some modification to them.

2) Try to modify the current spindle to rebuild the missing material.

3) Try to find a way to make a bearing for the "modern" spindle I have.

4) Buy this (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/167284956776). It would drop in but I would be quite limited by the thread size.

5) Wait and hope another identical spindle to mine shows up on the market eventually.
 
BTW, have you joined this email list too?

 
Seems like the current options are...

1) Try to use the current spindle as is. At worst there may be unresolvable alignment issues, but at best I may be able to use chucks with some modification to them.

This is the default plan. But I wouldn't modify any chucks unless you decide NOT TO pursue other solutions.

2) Try to modify the current spindle to rebuild the missing material.

Full confession - I cannot weld worth crap. So I'm not inclined to pursue that approach. I'd also be terrified that someone else doing the welding would bend my spindle.

However, I might be inclined to try sleeves and other approaches that don't require high heat.

3) Try to find a way to make a bearing for the "modern" spindle I have.

I really like this one. I'd do a lot of study before I actually plowed ahead though.

4) Buy this (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/167284956776). It would drop in but I would be quite limited by the thread size.

I don't like this one. But I understand the appeal.

5) Wait and hope another identical spindle to mine shows up on the market eventually.

This another no-brainer. I'd already have the ebay/marketplace/kijiji/Google searches going if I were you. Also watch for scrap lathes.

Good luck!
 
Secret option 6) try to sell it and get something else in the future 😉

I'm going to try and see if I can make something work with a split collar of some sort at the moment.
 
And unfortunately I only have an MT2 reamer. Never did need to buy an MT3 so cleaning up the inner taper would have to be done with the compound set exactly. Not hard to do with an commercial MT3 arbour set between centres and then an indicator on the tool post. Tweak the compound until it matches the taper.

One could even mount a Dremel tool with stone on the tool post at this point and almost polish the MT3 taper inside the spindle.
 
Secret option 6) try to sell it and get something else in the future 😉

I'm going to try and see if I can make something work with a split collar of some sort at the moment.
That’s what happened to me. Bought one lathe until I found it its limitations…. Then before you know it I have a much more expensive other lathe :’)
 
@jcdammeyer @Susquatch @BaitMaster I appreciate the support, thank you. If I had more machine capacity and knowledge I wouldn't be quite so frustrated, but starting with what now feels like a (near) lemon that can't be self-resolved is annoying. I'd better make some damn perfect pens by the end of this hahaha.
 
As Eric Idle once said "always look on the bright side of life". This allows (forces ?) you to get a 4 jaw chuck and in no time at all, not only will you be turning out beautiful concentric pieces but your dialing in skills will put us old sweats to shame.
(Says I as I work at installing a collet chuck on the Meuser"
 
@jcdammeyer @Susquatch @BaitMaster I appreciate the support, thank you. If I had more machine capacity and knowledge I wouldn't be quite so frustrated, but starting with what now feels like a (near) lemon that can't be self-resolved is annoying. I'd better make some damn perfect pens by the end of this hahaha.
I started with the little DB200 but it really wasn't useful for anything I wanted to build or repair. The Gingery Lathe started out as scrap aluminum and hot and cold rolled steel and the foundry. It's still a crappy lathe that will require some major changes to ever make it better. But I learned so much.
 
As Eric Idle once said "always look on the bright side of life". This allows (forces ?) you to get a 4 jaw chuck and in no time at all, not only will you be turning out beautiful concentric pieces but your dialing in skills will put us old sweats to shame.
(Says I as I work at installing a collet chuck on the Meuser"
Well I need to resolve this dang spindle shenanigans before I can be sure I can even mount a 4 jaw!
 
Back
Top