Golem Pens
Michael
Gotcha. I'm out but can check later. It was originally MT3 but has been internally ground down a currently undefined amount. So MT3 internal to 1.5" thread OD.
Seems like the current options are...
1) Try to use the current spindle as is. At worst there may be unresolvable alignment issues, but at best I may be able to use chucks with some modification to them.
2) Try to modify the current spindle to rebuild the missing material.
3) Try to find a way to make a bearing for the "modern" spindle I have.
4) Buy this (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/167284956776). It would drop in but I would be quite limited by the thread size.
5) Wait and hope another identical spindle to mine shows up on the market eventually.
That’s what happened to me. Bought one lathe until I found it its limitations…. Then before you know it I have a much more expensive other lathe :’)Secret option 6) try to sell it and get something else in the future 😉
I'm going to try and see if I can make something work with a split collar of some sort at the moment.
I can understand that but don't give up hope.Lots learned, but I'll admit I'm feeling pretty disheartened at the moment.
Lots learned, but I'll admit I'm feeling pretty disheartened at the moment...
Not so sound cheesy here, but it’s not about the destination, it’s about the path you take to get there.Lots learned, but I'll admit I'm feeling pretty disheartened at the moment.
Nah. It's definitely been on my mind. The ordeal of getting it into my place is enough to make me think thrice though haha.The seventh option is the best but I'm not the sort of guy to tell you it.
I started with the little DB200 but it really wasn't useful for anything I wanted to build or repair. The Gingery Lathe started out as scrap aluminum and hot and cold rolled steel and the foundry. It's still a crappy lathe that will require some major changes to ever make it better. But I learned so much.@jcdammeyer @Susquatch @BaitMaster I appreciate the support, thank you. If I had more machine capacity and knowledge I wouldn't be quite so frustrated, but starting with what now feels like a (near) lemon that can't be self-resolved is annoying. I'd better make some damn perfect pens by the end of this hahaha.
Well I need to resolve this dang spindle shenanigans before I can be sure I can even mount a 4 jaw!As Eric Idle once said "always look on the bright side of life". This allows (forces ?) you to get a 4 jaw chuck and in no time at all, not only will you be turning out beautiful concentric pieces but your dialing in skills will put us old sweats to shame.
(Says I as I work at installing a collet chuck on the Meuser"