I think I still got a can of that purple pink eye spray for the cows around here somewhere. Want I should make a flying trip up this afternoon?...my eyes are still not over the pink eye bout.
Certainly could be!Hmmmmm.... Maybe someday (not now) that would be a good upgrade for your lathe....... The hardest thing to find is probably the spindle and you have that!
If there is no collar then what prevents the thrust to the left. Are there some sort of thrust bearings on the other end?Oh yeah... It's not compatible. I believe it's a more recent style than my lathe needs. The OD is smaller and I believe is intended for use with the generation that uses bronze press-in bearings (mine rides directly in the headstock).
There are, yes. I'll grab a photo later, but basically from left to right the full assembly is...If there is no collar then what prevents the thrust to the left. Are there some sort of thrust bearings on the other end?
Well it looks like 10 tpi, but 1.5" OD. If I'm reading right.
Disregard for now. Possibly but I don't trust my measurements so I'm picking up a new thread pitch gauge.Am I misunderstanding? Have you discovered that it's really 10 tpi, not 8? This would explain a shit load of runout....
A threaded connection is supposed to ramp a significant number of 60 degree threads against each other. The 60 degree cone surfaces self align as tension builds. The register forces a final alignment. But the register prolly couldn't fix an incorrectly matched sequence of threads.
Disregard for now. Possibly but I don't trust my measurements so I'm picking up a new thread pitch gauge.
Based off what I have now found elsewhere though it is a possibility.
Yeah I counted 5 points to a half inch and then remembered that which is why I said disregard until I reconfirm hahahI see! Thread gauges are not always that great. You can't go wrong just measuring them. A Vernier from point to point or valley to valley over as many threads as you have and some simple math will often be much better than a thread gauge. Just remember that you have count intervals not points. That seems to be a frequently made error.
Yep. Hated it. But, like Buckley's Mixture, it just worked. 😉Though, I remember the livestock not liking that spray very much.


The bore is in somewhat poor shape, it's certainly be mucked with in the past. Cleaning up the outside and re-extending the register surface with a collar seems.... Plausible.What does the bore look like on the threaded end? I just cant see welding working out without a lot of heat related distortion issues, but I have zero experience. I think you would stand a better chance of machining the threads off or nearly so to make a new surface, add a 'new' oversize collar & re-cutting the surface to spec or desired thread. The collar method has downsides too but its mechanically cold. I suspect you could get away with radial cross pins & strong bearing retainer for good measure. But how hard is the spindle core? Another question is how much meat is left given the spindle bore/socket ID? Of course this would have to be done on another lathe by someone that knows what they are doing. Maybe a 'somewhat close' spindle could be the lucky organ donor? The spindle & its rotating assembly is the beating heart of a lathe.