Golem Pens
Michael
Yeah if anyone has the Atlas 4 jaw and can provide measurements, please let me know!
It was my Bison from HR Roberts that didn't fully seat.I know a lot of those were bought by members, including myself, but IDK if anyone local has one. If someone local did buy one maybe they would be willing to help out if you are interested in getting one.
The company bought a pallet load of each back in the 80's hoping to corner the hobby market and they still have a bunch left. The 3jaw Bison is a screaming deal with the backing plate, even if a guy had to open up the backing plate to for your spindle.



That's a good question. I can measure that later.From the photos it appears that the badly machined reference section is smaller or would have to be turned smaller than the peak thread height of the spindle So unless the ring can expand enough it's a no go.
That (and the ring heating plan) are far outside my resources and would need someone to do that for me.However why not build up that surface with welding?
That's not the biggest problem. The issue is whether that surface that should be at least the same diameter or larger than the threads. All the way to the reference surface. The ID isn't very accurate with calipers but it gives an idea.That's a good question. I can measure that later.
That (and the ring heating plan) are far outside my resources and would need someone to do that for me.
So the sketch says 1.5"-8 TPI for the thread dimensions and the thread stops short of the shoulder but that dimension isn't given. Just the nose length of 0.875".Probably not spot on, but yeah the low point is measuring a little under 1.5"
My guess, based on those photos is that the shoulder was turned down to get you that 0.227" wide shoulder. Maybe the hack wanted to have a long larger diameter reference to center a chuck?The numbers don't quite line up, but you're definitely in the right ballpark (and again, who knows how this whole thing has been modified).
If I wanted to pursue welding and reshaping, any ideas where in town would be able to help?
Oh yeah... It's not compatible. I believe it's a more recent style than my lathe needs. The OD is smaller and I believe is intended for use with the generation that uses bronze press-in bearings (mine rides directly in the headstock).Oh and on the welding,, I'll bet there are a few of the members here on the island that could do that. But I thought you had a spare spindle for this lathe?
The OD is smaller and I believe is intended for use with the generation that uses bronze press-in bearings (mine rides directly in the headstock).