• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Looking at your tailstock photo reminds me of one of the limiting factors I found w/ my 9A: the short quill travel. Although I was unable to tackle the job before I sold the lathe, here's links to 3 vids on extending quill travel:

9" Southbend Tailstock Quill Extension: Part 1 - YouTube
9" Southbend Tailstock Quill Extension: Part 2 - YouTube
9" Southbend Tailstock Quill Extension: Part 3 - YouTube
I may need to see if I can commission this from someone. Since you need a tailstock to modify the tailstock hah
 
If it's apart, one piece would be the way I would go. But if you wanted to do it on the cheap, I would replace the one on the family car and splice the old one to the right size to fit the lathe...... they can also be laced with heavy fishing line or wire, or if you know someone with a belt clipper, that's another option. I used a clipper on my 13" south bend and a one piece on the 10", but only because I already had it here and it happened to fit....... I don't think I own the bobcat that I had it for anymore and if I find I am wrong as is often the case, I will cross that bridge then. 😛
 
I am sure one of us can help you
You might want to figure in shortening a leadscrew, as mine is a 3 1/2 foot one and his is a 3 ft. I wonder if there's enough length to flip it end for end and move the more worn end to the tailstock? I don't think the one I have has much wear as the rest of the lathe doesn't, and my plan is to convert to an A as I have all the parts here to do so...... 😎


Perhaps we have found the key to slowing you down and making us look bad..... all we have to do is pawn your services off on everyone else's projects until we get caught up on a few of our own. 🙄😛
 
You might want to figure in shortening a leadscrew, as mine is a 3 1/2 foot one and his is a 3 ft. I wonder if there's enough length to flip it end for end and move the more worn end to the tailstock? I don't think the one I have has much wear as the rest of the lathe doesn't, and my plan is to convert to an A as I have all the parts here to do so...... 😎


Perhaps we have found the key to slowing you down and making us look bad..... all we have to do is pawn your services off on everyone else's projects until we get caught up on a few of our own. 🙄😛
I'm not sure if the lead screw needs replacing yet!
 
If it's apart, one piece would be the way I would go. But if you wanted to do it on the cheap, I would replace the one on the family car and splice the old one to the right size to fit the lathe...... they can also be laced with heavy fishing line or wire, or if you know someone with a belt clipper, that's another option. I used a clipper on my 13" south bend and a one piece on the 10", but only because I already had it here and it happened to fit....... I don't think I own the bobcat that I had it for anymore and if I find I am wrong as is often the case, I will cross that bridge then. 😛
It is going to be coming pretty fully apart yep.
 
Anyone familiar with this style of oil ports? I'm trying to figure out if they're common or custom. Only in use on the carriage and the tailstock.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251118_172602776.jpg
    PXL_20251118_172602776.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20251118_172619406.jpg
    PXL_20251118_172619406.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Interesting so definitely added after the fact. Actually, I wonder if there is even a port there normally, looks like it's intended for way oil
 
Back
Top