• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Oooh a belt guard too! I'll try to assess the gears and measure the bed soon. Nanaimo is maybe possible, depends on the day and my family schedule
I will keep you in the loop. There's an outside chance that I might be in Victoria as well, just not as soon I don't think (hope).
I think we have a couple other members in the area that we might be able to pony express with as well.
 
I can help solve the counter shaft problem, complete with factory belt guard. Can possibly help with the gears if we know which ones, and I have a leadscrew from a 3 1 /2 ft bed model c......... and, I should be back on the island again in the next couple weeks if you can get to the Nanaimo area (North Oyster/Cedar).
See if you can get an approximate size and weight. Netparcel provides really good shipping quotes.
Or I can run to Cedar and pick it up for you @Golem Pens
 
Alright here is a quick inventory and assessment... Only had a few minutes but can get better looks at anything is folks are curious.

Fantastic DIY tailstock wrench.
1000004330.jpg

No obvious missing parts on the carriage. Although the lock bolt is a weird size.
1000004331.jpg

Original thread dial indicator!
1000004332.jpg

Currently mounted gears.
1000004333.jpg

Big box of change gears and steady rest.
1000004339.jpg

Wear on the spindle gear.
1000004334.jpg

Assorted HSS tooling.
1000004336.jpg

No idea what this accessory is.
1000004337.jpg

Dog drive plate and assorted chucks.
1000004335.jpg

Apparently there is an NOS spindle in this tube.
1000004338.jpg

And yeah, that's the latest look at things!
 
And speaking of tailstock mods, I made a new mounting bolt and nut with coarser threads. This is quick and easy mod and it allows tightening of the tailstock without having to reindex the wrench. None of the original parts are touched so putting it back to original is a simple matter of swapping the bits back, though I can't imagine wanting to do so.
 
You got a good assortment of tooling to get you started, the milling attachment is a good one to have until you get a mill. I had a homemade one (came with) on my 618 and it worked good taking small bites.

I'm not sure that's wear on the spindle gear, it looks more like the tail end may have been completely threaded and then the threads have been turned off to set the clearance for the reversing gears.

I'm sure one of our SB guys can clarify this for us.
 
You got a good assortment of tooling to get you started, the milling attachment is a good one to have until you get a mill. I had a homemade one (came with) on my 618 and it worked good taking small bites.

I'm not sure that's wear on the spindle gear, it looks more like the tail end may have been completely threaded and then the threads have been turned off to set the clearance for the reversing gears.

I'm sure one of our SB guys can clarify this for us.
A close up look showed that the teeth were not as high as the mating gears. But to remove the spindle my guess is you loosen the screw on the clamping disk and unscrew that. Look for a set screw through the pulley that fixes the pulley to the spindle shaft.
I'm going to guess the back gears are just keyed to the spindle but I don't know.
Then push spindle out in the direction of the tail stock.
Is there not an exploded diagram of that lathe on line somewhere?
 
That's grand, thanks! I think it's actually in fine shape then, hooray.

Now... Spliced or endless serpentine belt? (Since it's all coming apart anyway)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top