• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Contact @140mower here on the forum. He's a big time SB kind of guy & may have parts. When I still had mine, I got parts from him. Straight up person. Ask him about 8mm taps and German Shepherd puppies...
I do happen to have a replacement spindle! But if I can replace that gear alone that would be nice. I haven't had a chance to dig into the specs yet
 
I do happen to have a replacement spindle! But if I can replace that gear alone that would be nice. I haven't had a chance to dig into the specs yet
I bought a replacement spindle from him 'cause 4 of my back gear teeth were broken. It's not a terrible job to replace. Keep track of how many turns the adjustment screw on the back gear ass'y is turned out. As I noted in the link in post 13, I changed the drive to a serpentine belt at the same time.
 
Good news, the three jaw chuck came off with zero complaints.

Popped the DIY belt guard off for a closer look and the weird motor mount may also have been done for clearance between the belt guard and the back gear lever. With how wobbly that whole assembly is I definitely plan to see if it can be mounted differently (would likely need a different length belt).
 
Back
Top