• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

You could buy a nice shiny new 14 gauge extension cord, cut off the receptacle end and wire that end to the motor. Easier than putting on a new plug and you get the length and colour of new wire you want at the same time.
I have cut the ends off quite a few new PA #14 extension cords, when they are on sale I pick one up so that I always have one in reserve for the next time. < 1$ a foot with a plug, anyone price SOOW lately?
 
I'm starting with the drive assembly because it's got some fun noises and wobbles. The motor and countershaft frame/assembly is very DIY, and as assembled, there is a fair amount of lateral movement in the spindle.

I've managed to remove the motor pulley from the countershaft, but am not sure how to remove the cone pulleys and spindle. No visible bolts or set screws. The end cap does come off and the end of the spindle is visible. It may simply press out but I don't want to test that blindly.

Any guesses? I wouldn't cry too much if it's better to just replace this with a more normal drive assembly even...
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251113_232055268.jpg
    PXL_20251113_232055268.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20251113_232104091.jpg
    PXL_20251113_232104091.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20251113_232117781.jpg
    PXL_20251113_232117781.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Hmmmm. Unfortunately the budget says this is too much for now. Will have to keep an eye out for a deal.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20251114-061539.png
    Screenshot_20251114-061539.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 8
I was looking at the interesting counter shaft set up on your lathe, yes it is interesting. That appears to be the housing from an automotive style generator with the side cut out for the belt.
I know that doesn’t help much, the non drive end appears to have been welded/brazed on in a few spots, as has been the drive end plate. This means it was assembled and welded/brazed, or the shaft does/did come out.
 
I'll admit, I love the creativity! However I don't have the equipment to refurb the part as it currently exists 🙁
I was looking at the interesting counter shaft set up on your lathe, yes it is interesting. That appears to be the housing from an automotive style generator with the side cut out for the belt.
I know that doesn’t help much, the non drive end appears to have been welded/brazed on in a few spots, as has been the drive end plate. This means it was assembled and welded/brazed, or the shaft does/did come out.
 
I think a few other members may have S.B.9’s, anyone know if this shaft is keyed with a lock screw in the center step pulley, or just the lock screw holding things?
Sometimes creativity leads to someone else having to “fix” it, usually I am the other that also created it too.
 
I'd try taking everything off first - it may be hiding the secret to unlocking it.
What does it look like under the cap pictured - the one with 4 screws and a teardrop shape on the cover?
 
I'd try taking everything off first - it may be hiding the secret to unlocking it.
What does it look like under the cap pictured - the one with 4 screws and a teardrop shape on the cover?
Ah I forgot to grab a picture, but it seems to be an oil reservoir, and the end of spindle is basically flush with the body of the housing, seems pressed in. I'll grab a photo later.
 
This would be my order of go...
1) New felts and of course a flush/deep clean and oils
2) Figure out mystery noise from motor/counter shaft
3) New belt
4) Get/make a cover
5) Fix wobbly gear cover
6) Probably fine to leave the weird motor placement, with appropriate measures taken to address belt tension
7) Look into backlash in all the dials
8) Probably a few replacement gears
...
20) Ideally a new lead screw



-
I can help solve the counter shaft problem, complete with factory belt guard. Can possibly help with the gears if we know which ones, and I have a leadscrew from a 3 1 /2 ft bed model c......... and, I should be back on the island again in the next couple weeks if you can get to the Nanaimo area (North Oyster/Cedar).
 
I can help solve the counter shaft problem, complete with factory belt guard. Can possibly help with the gears if we know which ones, and I have a leadscrew from a 3 1 /2 ft bed model c......... and, I should be back on the island again in the next couple weeks if you can get to the Nanaimo area (North Oyster/Cedar).
Oooh a belt guard too! I'll try to assess the gears and measure the bed soon. Nanaimo is maybe possible, depends on the day and my family schedule
 
Back
Top