• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Wishful thinking - wanted 8" 1hp low speed grinder

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I've thought about it but never needed the capacity that they have, nor do I have the space for one.
Space is a big thing. I have a small no-name 6" under the bench with a green wheel for carbide. Haven't touched it in years other than to move it around.
The main grinder that is up and ready to go is a Mastercraft 8" with white wheels. I turned custom hubs to hold the wheels with less wobble but it still vibrates. That video looks interesting for making it smoother.
The other grinder, Lee Valley Tools, rarely gets taken out because it then requires some cleaning, oil into the cups (which eventually leaks out all over) and water. I bought this to do hand plane blades, wood chisels and knives. Again hasn't been used in a long time because there is not clearly defined spot for it.

Attachments

• Mastercraft8Inch.jpg
    Mastercraft8Inch.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 15
  • LeeValleyGrinder.jpg
    LeeValleyGrinder.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 15
@David_R8 I have a 6" grinder and the belt grinder, strangely enough both take almost the same space just in different directions.

As to belt wear and replacement, couple of comments here. First, belt grinding is faster, cooler and more controllable. Second, it a learned method and once mastered belts last. Third, you generally get away with larger grits (I use 80 grit) for most work even for finer finishes, though finer grits leave even better finishes. Finally, the smaller belts well do wear out quicker, the larger belts longer belts last longer.

My machine is single speed and on the slower side (don't ask I forget the specs I measured). Though until I see a need to increase it its great.

I do aluminium, steel, stainless steel and tungsten (tig rods, I use a drill to spin them to get the correct grain structure on the point) on the same machine.

One final foot note get a crete stick (cleans the belt and increase belt life dramatically). You can use wax a release/lubricant, it works but I find its not needed in my applications.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
another tip for the belt grinder folks.
I usually buy from a local hardware and usually the finest grit I can get is 400 so that is what I use for any general grinding/sanding. As someone else mentioned, with practice you can extend belt life considerably, mine sometimes last a year and it is the most frequently used machine in the shop.
Now for the tip....a new belt will remove metal & wood quickly and will leave minute' scratches on the finished workpiece. I save all my old belts that have been used LOTS and use them as a finish belt....the new, course grit has been long since wore down to leave a fair to middlin "fine grit" belt that leaves a much more polished finish.