• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Which lathe models that have D1-3 camlock spindles?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I got some spare D1-6 cams for my backplate from Shars, as a part - you have to phone them and talk to the parts guy - but they were 8 US$ each. Make sure you order inch/metric threads correctly. That one tripped me up. I managed to trade mine with a guy that needed mine, and I needed his. So the story had a happy ending.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
@TorontoBuilder This is an old thread but I believe Grizzly’s short lived South Bend Heavy 10 model SB1007 used D1-3.
They do carry parts and part PSB1007031 may be the correct cam.

Johnwa, thank you very much for the info and link.

I had looked at Grizzly before and discounted them because the SB Heavy 10 is a D1-4 machine not D1-3.

However, while I was able to source the camlocks overseas for an arm and a leg, I was not able to obtain the retaining pin assemblies comprised of the lock screws, lock pins and springs. I believe these are the same for both the D1-3 and D1-4 spindles and grizzly has them in stock at reasonable prices so I wont have to try to make these parts now. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Johnwa, thank you very much for the info and link.

I had looked at Grizzly before and discounted them because the SB Heavy 10 is a D1-4 machine not D1-3.

However, while I was able to source the camlocks overseas for an arm and a leg, I was not able to obtain the retaining pin assemblies comprised of the lock screws, lock pins and springs. I believe these are the same for both the D1-3 and D1-4 spindles and grizzly has them in stock at reasonable prices so I wont have to try to make these parts now. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
Grizzly sells D1-3 backplates so I’ve asked them which lathe they fit. No response so far.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Now THATs about the right price!
IIIRC I ended up paying $21.51 a piece = 64.53 PLUS an "Admin/Postage" fee of $45 for total of $109 and then GST upon arrival in Canada.

I got hosed on the deal and didn't get my small parts to boot. par for the course with british lathes.

The only thing worse is ordering camera gear from Japan. via ebay