• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Where to get good used mill

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Susquatch : I have the rebuild manual for the Bridgeport and basically the same era machine. If you run into issues let me know and I can either take a picture for you or what ever. I kept the original feed screws for the x and y if you’re are really bad.
Good purchase !!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch : I have the rebuild manual for the Bridgeport and basically the same era machine. If you run into issues let me know and I can either take a picture for you or what ever. I kept the original feed screws for the x and y if you’re are really bad.
Good purchase !!

This is great to know and I will definitely take you up on that when the time comes.

Right now, I have my hands full deciding between the Bridgeport in rough condition and the Hartford in great condition. It's clear the Bridgeport has had a hard life, but it also has more features such as a power quill and variable speed adjustment. If it has a belt change system, I don't see how that works as there are no access ports. I don't even know how the variable system works.

All in good time I guess.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Susquatch : speed adjustment is the same principal as a snowmobile - the dial handle on the side of the head allows two pulley sheaves to come together or push apart to increase or decrease the speed - always rotate with the machine running! - the system works great.

If you start up a thread of repairs etc that you are doing I can post you pictures specific to what you are looking at - There is a thread I put on here about changing the x axis feed and backlash and a few other tear apart things.

Once the excitement dies down a bit post some pics of the machines :p

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch : speed adjustment is the same principal as a snowmobile - the dial handle on the side of the head allows two pulley sheaves to come together or push apart to increase or decrease the speed - always rotate with the machine running! - the system works great.

If you start up a thread of repairs etc that you are doing I can post you pictures specific to what you are looking at - There is a thread I put on here about changing the x axis feed and backlash and a few other tear apart things.

Once the excitement dies down a bit post some pics of the machines :p

I kinda figured that, but the dial moves too easily for that - yes, I foolishly turned it with no motor running........

I do plan to start several new threads. One on fixing up my old mill-drill, one on fixing up the Bridgeport, one on fixing up the Hartford, and maybe one on motor swaps. A lot of stuff has already found its way into this thread.

But on other forums, I find that other members sometimes get annoyed when threads drift off topic or get hyjacked so I'm planning to start new ones to avoid irritating anyone. I must say that it's kinda cool here - nobody has said anything yet.

Yes, I'll be posting photos shortly.

Crankit

I bought it too.

The story isn't what I expected. Her hubby financed a business with a machinist friend who walked after they bought some equipment. So now they have equipment they don't know how to use and a shop they can't use. The shop is sold and they are trying to get as much as they can for the equipment. I offerred 1.5k and we settled at 1.8K. Yes, it isn't pretty, and parts are missing, but it's a genuine Bridgeport Series I, and everything seems to work fine and smooth. Couldn't run it without power, but the Spindle feels really nice smooth and solid turning it in my hands.

I have both machines in my shop now so it's just a matter of going over them with a fine tooth comb, figuring out which one I want to keep and flipping the other one. I like McGiver's outlook on the idea of making a quick buck. It ain't gunna go that way. Flipping stuff is just not my thing. Never was, never will be. But maybe I can learn a few things, have some fun, cover my costs, and make some other fellow spirit happy too. That would be good!

Gotta laugh how things work out....you go from no mill to two!:D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sounds like you will be busy in the foreseeable future.

I've been a busy fellow all my life. I'm too old to change now..... But ya, I'll have a few big projects to keep me busy for quite a while.

When I showed my bride the Bridgeport, she laughed and asked me why I needed so many. Rather than try to explain a plan that I don't even really understand myself just yet, I just asked her why she has 4 sewing machines...... She laughed. I'm sure glad she didn't ask me where I got the money........

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Not bad there is also trade for lathe. Options too.

I have a really nice lathe already. I started with an old leather belt driven late 1800's lathe and many years later I got a nice enclosed gear head 12x36 Lathe. My lathe experience is actually how I first became interested in getting a mill.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi All:

See the following threads for photos of the Bridgeport & Hartford Mills as well as my initial observations:

https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/new-to-me-bridgeport-mill.3491/

https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/new-to-me-hartford-mill.3490/

I'll be keeping future notes and updates on those mills on those threads in the future as thou s thread was about finding them. The new threads are about evaluating and fixing them.

Thanks to everyone who helped me on thus incredible journey!