• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What Projects Are You Considering This Winter?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
@Susquatch - that is the debate right now - can machine out for new seats - they are sitting at home. Or see what the original seats need cutting to. The original head is a Chromium grey cast iron and the exhaust seat area was hardened by the factory. The head is also alumetized.

I don't know if the seats are satellite - that would mean they are already cut to the proper angle. These are basic rings of hardened steel and need finishing. I am in the process to find out the materials. May need to see @Chicken lights to gett'er done

@Gearhead88 : that was an alternative plan for the springs. I may build one. I am also in the middle of building a bead roller and some other things. Just completed my cam bearing remover....so many neato projects :)
You’re more than welcome to use it, I should be able to have someone meet you to let you in the shop. If I can’t be there

Brent H

Ultra Member
@kevin.decelles : I looked at those - the individual cutters are a decent price - CU128 - 30/45 Degree = $125.25 USD then I would need the guide etc. They actually look like a reasonable build project. Just have to get my arse in gear with the Cincinnati tool sharpener/cutter/grinder.

Right now I think I will be getting the bead roller together - I will post about that as I need to make more gears, some dies, bearing fitment etc etc and I have a gear motor so it may get some power - have to see what Hp is required to drive it.

Gearhead88

Super User
I purchased a Neway valve seat cutter for the Ford NAA tractor rebuild. Very well made, great people to deal with (dealt directly through Neway, no ebay/knockoffs etc.).
I've used those at a couple of the places I worked , best used with the spring loaded handle that cranks , leaves a far nicer finish that way. The "T" handle to drive the cutters , I'm not a fan of that one , they have a tendancy to chatter a bit and it's difficult to get a good finish like the finish that is easily achieved with the crank style driver.

I used to not like the Neway stuff much until I used the crank handle driver (ebay) . There are knock offs now on ebay , some from Australia and some from India , the latest up n' coming industrialized nation that doesn't care about patents , copyrights or reverse engineering then building their version of anything they think they can make money on .

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
@Susquatch - that is the debate right now - can machine out for new seats - they are sitting at home. Or see what the original seats need cutting to. The original head is a Chromium grey cast iron and the exhaust seat area was hardened by the factory. The head is also alumetized.

I don't know if the seats are satellite - that would mean they are already cut to the proper angle. These are basic rings of hardened steel and need finishing. I am in the process to find out the materials. May need to see @Chicken lights to gett'er done

@Gearhead88 : that was an alternative plan for the springs. I may build one. I am also in the middle of building a bead roller and some other things. Just completed my cam bearing remover....so many neato projects :)
If it comes to installing hard valve seats , it could be a delicate operation , it's kind of intrusive , meaning , if the machinist that is making the cuts for the counterbore breaks through into a water jacket the head is potentially junk. Do some research to see if you can find a shop with a seat & guide machine that has done this before on that brand of cylinder head , you have to trust the guy who is doing the work , especially if the casting is some rare piece that is super tough to find.

I use Sioux equipment at home to grind valves and seats , I was lucky , years ago , to find the equipment i have , unmolested by meatheads. I've added a bunch of tooling as required to outfit my shop as needed .

I wish I could find an affordable seat & guide machine , it would be a miracle to stumble into a deal , normally they are very expensive and waaaay out of my limited budget.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Well, @Gearhead88 : that machine shop will be me if I am going to cut the seats. I will make a custom guided cutter as required. Depth of cut is 7/32" ( 0.21875" ) max to avoid issues with the water passages. The Opel is not something too common a local shop would have seen many, if any of where I am. @JohnW has one in Calgary and he is doing some wicked cool stuff to his - fuel injection, larger bore etc etc I brough my project back from Calgary in November :)

I "theoretically" have 2 heads to fart around with and the plan is to clean up the current valve seats and get back to OEM recommendations. As the original seats were a hardened part of the head it will be a check to see how much material comes off to clean up the seat. Just a couple thou and we are golden. That head would be put back into service to get the car operational and fun.

After that - plan 2. The 1.9 litre engine is able to get pumped up a bit to a 2.0 or 2.2 + with some modifications. Those would include bigger valves and larger bore pistons etc etc. The wallet would need some cash for that. I am y also be on the hunt for Opel #2 :)

Chip Maker

Super User
Well, @Gearhead88 : that machine shop will be me if I am going to cut the seats. I will make a custom guided cutter as required. Depth of cut is 7/32" ( 0.21875" ) max to avoid issues with the water passages. The Opel is not something too common a local shop would have seen many, if any of where I am. @JohnW has one in Calgary and he is doing some wicked cool stuff to his - fuel injection, larger bore etc etc I brough my project back from Calgary in November :)

I "theoretically" have 2 heads to fart around with and the plan is to clean up the current valve seats and get back to OEM recommendations. As the original seats were a hardened part of the head it will be a check to see how much material comes off to clean up the seat. Just a couple thou and we are golden. That head would be put back into service to get the car operational and fun.

After that - plan 2. The 1.9 litre engine is able to get pumped up a bit to a 2.0 or 2.2 + with some modifications. Those would include bigger valves and larger bore pistons etc etc. The wallet would need some cash for that. I am y also be on the hunt for Opel #2 :)
I have a valve seat cutting machine. I don't know much about it as it came with a bunch of stuff. I'll do some research and post some pics, if you or anyone else is interested I can let it go cheap.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Definitely not a machining project, just hauled home 305 sq ft of vinyl plank flooring. My knees hurt already and i won't start laying it for a couple o f days. :( I hate renovations but have no choice, old flooring is coming apart.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@Chicken lights - that is a cool link! did not know about it - sadly my searches came up with nothing though ...alas...I did just search Canada

I am heading to Brantford on Sunday to pull a beat up one apart - if we can find it under the snow :)

How did the Opel mining expedition go? Score any good parts?

Last edited: