• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What kind of endmill is this?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The only thing interesting to me about this endmill is it's shape.

I'm more interested in knowing more about the tenon contouring than the wavy edge. I can see how a wavy edge might improve the cutting process. But that wavy tenon intrigues the rat shit out of me! I'd like to know who makes it so I can find out more. I'd also love an endmill like that in my drawer just for the talking focus it would provide. Can you imagine making it? The wavy edges are hard enough! Now imagine contouring the tenon like that!

justin1

Super User
I'm more interested in knowing more about the tenon contouring than the wavy edge. I can see how a wavy edge might improve the cutting process. But that wavy tenon intrigues the rat shit out of me! I'd like to know who makes it so I can find out more. I'd also love an endmill like that in my drawer just for the talking focus it would provide. Can you imagine making it? The wavy edges are hard enough! Now imagine contouring the tenon like that!
This is the one I saw on FB

And a ball nose one for cheaper

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The fellow happens to have a face mill with same design aswell which is neat

That looks cool too, but enough is enough. I'll keep working on him.

Also decided to send a note to the guy with the $50 round endmill. Got a simple answer "Non". I countered again. Still just "Non". Perhaps I should have sent my questions in French.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'd call that a "you're-never-going-to-be-able-to-sharpen-it-so-toss-it-and-buy-a-new-one-you-cheap-bastard"

They are not allowed in my shop : )

I bought it, so it's gunna be in my shop just for the sheer awe factor. I'll never use it. I might even put it in the house if SWMBO will let me. It will be a cheap but meaningful decor item.

It is a huge endmill. Way bigger than it looks in the photos. Something over 5kg. Therefore it will prolly not get delivered and I'll have to go get it. On the plus side, that will provide an excuse for me to ship those Makita's to you.

Besides, I cannot sharpen regular endmills let alone a wavy one so not a problem for me.

I'd call that a "you're-never-going-to-be-able-to-sharpen-it-so-toss-it-and-buy-a-new-one-you-cheap-bastard"

They are not allowed in my shop : )
You'd be surprised that larger shops, resharpening is not considered worth while. Use it into the Carbide scrap BIN.

I spoke with a friend of mine, he said it was cheaper to scrap them as setting up to resharpen would require 3 to 4 operators running 3 shifts just to keep up with demand even with modern CNC grinders for there everyday usage, better and cheaper to just buy in bulk and discard.

Remember CNC tolerances have become exceeding precise and this starts with the cutter, any error here just multiples in errors on the final part.

BTW this is how I rec'd some endmills recently.