• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What kind of endmill is this?

justin1

Super User
Spotted this interesting designed endmill. Doesn't look friendly to sharpen and curious if there is a reason it's designed this way.
Screenshot_20231227-134800.png

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I am pretty sure this is a variable helix endmill. I have included info form a few sources.

Here is the text from source #1..

Introduction to Variable Helix End Mills​

Definition and Basics​

Variable Helix End Mills are a specific type of end mill that features varying helix angles along the length of the flutes. Unlike standard end mills with a constant helix angle, these tools have flutes that twist at different angles. This unique design can significantly improve performance, reduce chatter, and increase productivity in many milling applications.

Why Variable Helix?​

The development of variable helix end mills has been a major advancement in milling technology. They were engineered to tackle some of the challenges that traditional end mills could not handle effectively.

1. Chatter Reduction:​

Chatter is a resonant vibration that can occur during milling, and it often leads to poor surface finishes and reduced tool life. Variable helix end mills disrupt the harmonics that cause chatter, ensuring a smoother operation.

2. Improved Surface Finish:​

By varying the helix angle, the cutting forces are distributed more evenly along the cutting edge. This leads to a more uniform wear and often results in a better surface finish.

3. Enhanced Material Removal:​

Variable helix end mills can be more efficient in material removal. By optimizing the helix angles for the material being cut, these tools can be more aggressive in their cut without sacrificing finish quality.

4. Versatility:​

These end mills can be used across various materials, including difficult-to-machine alloys. This versatility makes them valuable in shops that handle diverse projects.

5. Adaptation to Different Machining Strategies:​

High-efficiency milling (HEM) and other advanced milling strategies often require tools that can adapt to varying conditions. Variable helix end mills can be a vital part of these strategies.

Design Considerations​

The design of variable helix end mills requires careful consideration of the material, application, and desired outcomes. The varying helix angles must be meticulously engineered to match the specific requirements of the task at hand. Manufacturers often use complex algorithms to determine the optimal helix angles for different segments of the tool, ensuring that it performs efficiently across the entire cutting process.

Variable Helix End Mills represent a remarkable innovation​

Variable Helix End Mills represent a remarkable innovation in milling technology. By incorporating a varying helix design, these tools offer solutions to common machining problems like chatter, uneven wear, and inefficient material removal. They are not just a refinement of existing technology; they are a leap forward, providing advantages that can make a substantial difference in productivity, performance, and quality of work.

Understanding these tools, their benefits, and their applications can provide machinists and engineers with new opportunities to optimize their processes, increase efficiency, and achieve superior results. Whether you are dealing with challenging materials or striving to elevate the quality of your work, variable helix end mills offer a powerful tool to help you achieve your goals.

links below...

and

justin1

Super User
Interesting I imagine they sharpen it on a CNC tool grinder of sorts. Don't imagine it would not give big advantage for manual machining more for the CNC machining world.

I suspect more of a specialized router bit for a particular profile.

Variable flute endmills are different in that it flute is not stepped like that and if you look carefully the are spaced slightly different and sometimes on a different rake.

The serrations are chip breakers and generally on roughing bits but not like that, lately I'm finding the new roughing bits don't have those anymore either.

What is interesting router bits and end mills can almost be identical. The biggest difference is the router bits are ground so they have less contact surface to reduce heat absorption as wood/wood chips don't transfer heat and only the bit does.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
My box says its patented "spiral-kut". From US (Cleveland, OH)

I don't see much of a difference - maybe you see it taking a bigger cut - finish is very good - same as with regular EM.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My box says its patented "spiral-kut". From US (Cleveland, OH)

I don't see much of a difference - maybe you see it taking a bigger cut - finish is very good - same as with regular EM.

"Spiral-Kut" and "spiral-kut" both get zero hits on google. :(

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Me bad, it should be "Crest Kut"

57_0d9325ea-b5df-4828-9707-d2d910e3f8bc_large.jpg

I have same gray box, with 3/4 EM.

You can buy them new on eBay - but feel pricey - https://www.ebay.com/itm/275166261600

Well that explains a lot as I believe that these are the precursors to modern chip breaker roughers.

Roughers even now seen to have less chip breakers. In the last couple of years cutter design seems to have progressed dramatically.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Me bad, it should be "Crest Kut"

57_0d9325ea-b5df-4828-9707-d2d910e3f8bc_large.jpg

I have same gray box, with 3/4 EM.

You can buy them new on eBay - but feel pricey - https://www.ebay.com/itm/275166261600

OK, that explains that. What is missing on these is the wavy pattern in between the cutting edges as per the original post by @justin1 above. The wavy pattern on the cutting edges is interesting on its own, but the pattern in between cutting edges is mesmerizing! My curiosity is killing me. I'd sure like to know what that's all about.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

justin1

Super User
Expensive
I am shocked they are still for sale.
I'm not if they have a following. Remember some on the site won't go carbide o_O. Could also be older stock.
Holy cow 100$ for 3/4 HSS cutter. It's 18$ at kms tools for 3/4 endmill and AliExpress it's 70$ for 20mm carbide endmill @ 55 HRC and 120$ for 20mm carbide roughing cutter @ 55HRC

I still feel like it's a CNC thing vs manual machining.It seems more beneficial to CNC were faster run time and less tool changing is a bonus. I feel like plastics or aluminum being most beneficial I can't see how it would perform better then carbide in steel and it's alloys

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Holy cow 100$ for 3/4 HSS cutter. It's 18$ at kms tools for 3/4 endmill and AliExpress it's 70$ for 20mm carbide endmill @ 55 HRC and 120$ for 20mm carbide roughing cutter @ 55HRC

I still feel like it's a CNC thing vs manual machining.It seems more beneficial to CNC were faster run time and less tool changing is a bonus. I feel like plastics or aluminum being most beneficial I can't see how it would perform better then carbide in steel and it's alloys
The only thing interesting to me about this endmill is it's shape.