• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Welding Gases & Tank Certification, Calgary

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My 110 cu ft Argon tank was empty so I took it to KMS Tools for a refill. A little discussion arose if my tank needed recertification or not. Two people thought it had to be tested, one thought not.

It has to do with the little “ * “ after the cert date: if present, then cert is every 10 years; if missing, then every 5. My tank has had stars (*) throughout its life, except for the last date stamp where they did not give one -> 5 year cycle.

Anyway, KMS recommended Majestic Hydrotest & Fire for recert. So I gave them a try. (I had used another company in the past).

I have to say that service was outstanding and all questions were answered by Mark & Adam (co-owners). Turn around time was 24h and they even had Argon! So not only was my tank re-certified for 10 years (it has the star ((*)) again), but it also was filled, all for $120 cash.

7683E833-D310-4752-B8B3-6EF61C57010B.jpeg

Couple of notes:

They test all size cylinders. If it has “AirLiquide“ stamped on the neck, they will NOT TOUCH it (test or refill) because they do not know the status of the tank, ie, is it owned or is it leased.

They fill tanks sized up to and including 110 cu ft. The big 250 cu ft ones they don’t.

They have Argon, Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, C25 Mix and Nitrogen.

They buy and sell tanks - new & used.

You get a discount if paying with CASH.

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I've used them as well, I had made a post about them that got lost in the great crash of '22...ahh the good ol' days

Good service, cheap, they do extinguishers as well, 35$ or so for a 10lb recharge

I bought an old 250 o2 from them filled for like 400$, there was no mention of not filling 250's then, although they may have changed their policy's since

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
there was no mention of not filling 250's then,

They told me it has to do with the number of cylinders they have in their filling station for each type of gas. The gases they use most, they have the largest bank. They are building up their other banks. Perhaps the comment was specific to Argon?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
They told me it has to do with the number of cylinders they have in their filling station for each type of gas. The gases they use most, they have the largest bank. They are building up their other banks. Perhaps the comment was specific to Argon?

Yea maybe, they trans fill everything and a 250 takes a lot out of a trans fill, it might even be that they decided to stop doing 250's entirely because of how much gas they take compared to what they have for a bank

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah, they did give me $120 deal but said I should actually pay $140 as apparently RobinHood gives them like 100 leads... I assume from this post. So everyone, now you need to mention that "Tom" sent you - this way I get the deal as well.

I need a 250 recertified very soon.

trevj

Ultra Member
Suspect they don't like filling the bigger bottles, because it is just so easy to swap your bottle across for a full one, most places. Not so much on the smaller bottles.

$50 for a hydro, is a deal!

Last time I needed a bottle done, I got quotes that were ALL over the place, from $25, up to well over $200, for a 20 pound CO2 cylinder.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
They $50 is a flat rate - i.e. for any cylinder size.

They said they do not fill the bigger ones due to some kind of "space issues" but may do so in the future.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
My 110 cu ft Argon tank was empty so I took it to KMS Tools for a refill. A little discussion arose if my tank needed recertification or not. Two people thought it had to be tested, one thought not.

It has to do with the little “ * “ after the cert date: if present, then cert is every 10 years; if missing, then every 5. My tank has had stars (*) throughout its life, except for the last date stamp where they did not give one -> 5 year cycle.

Anyway, KMS recommended Majestic Hydrotest & Fire for recert. So I gave them a try. (I had used another company in the past).

I have to say that service was outstanding and all questions were answered by Mark & Adam (co-owners). Turn around time was 24h and they even had Argon! So not only was my tank re-certified for 10 years (it has the star ((*)) again), but it also was filled, all for $120 cash.

View attachment 30334

Couple of notes:

They test all size cylinders. If it has “AirLiquide“ stamped on the neck, they will NOT TOUCH it (test or refill) because they do not know the status of the tank, ie, is it owned or is it leased.

They fill tanks sized up to and including 110 cu ft. The big 250 cu ft ones they don’t.

They have Argon, Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, C25 Mix and Nitrogen.

They buy and sell tanks - new & used.

You get a discount if paying with CASH.
I had tanks recerted by them and I also was impressed.

KeeponDragon

Super User
here in Kelowna I went through NutechPhoenix
I had picked up a 250 o2 and a 110 acetylene outfit from an estate sale.
Took them to get filled, and the kid @ KMS said they couldn't fill the o2 as it was a Praxair tank.
Same BS about leased or owned like Air Liquide.
More importantly, he pointed out that the tank was about 20 yrs past it's due date. :eek:
Before I took it there, like any guy would do, I sanded the markings off that said Praxair.
Because I can.
Due to the tanks age (1981), and that it had a nearly insignificant expansion event (like half a mm)
The tank was re-certed for 5 years.
Pretty sure I've filled it once a year since.
Come to think of it...pretty sure it'll have to go back next year for another re-cert.
moral of the story, check dates on tanks before you buy, and don't buy anything that has Air Liquide, Praxair or Linde markings ;)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
here in Kelowna I went through NutechPhoenix
I had picked up a 250 o2 and a 110 acetylene outfit from an estate sale.
Took them to get filled, and the kid @ KMS said they couldn't fill the o2 as it was a Praxair tank.
Same BS about leased or owned like Air Liquide.
More importantly, he pointed out that the tank was about 20 yrs past it's due date. :eek:
Before I took it there, like any guy would do, I sanded the markings off that said Praxair.
Because I can.
Due to the tanks age (1981), and that it had a nearly insignificant expansion event (like half a mm)
The tank was re-certed for 5 years.
Pretty sure I've filled it once a year since.
Come to think of it...pretty sure it'll have to go back next year for another re-cert.
moral of the story, check dates on tanks before you buy, and don't buy anything that has Air Liquide, Praxair or Linde markings ;)

Umm, all my tanks are older than 1981 - that is a new tank!
Tanks expand when tested. Mine expanded over 2%. Passed for 10 years, plus and a star.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I wonder if the criteria for the + depends on the expansion %, because my '52 tank was a + tank up until the '99 test date, it was never a star tank however (10year)

So like I wonder if say it expands more than 5% it loses its +, but if it stays under whatever % it keeps the +

@Tom Kitta you have some pre 80's tanks that are 10 year tanks (star) ? Wonder if there were two grades for new tanks back in the day, as most of the older tanks I've seen are 5yr and all of the new tanks are 10 yr, could be the 10's were more expensive ? I dunno

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I wonder if the criteria for the + depends on the expansion %, because my '52 tank was a + tank up until the '99 test date, it was never a star tank however (10year)

So like I wonder if say it expands more than 5% it loses its +, but if it stays under whatever % it keeps the +

@Tom Kitta you have some pre 80's tanks that are 10 year tanks (star) ? Wonder if there were two grades for new tanks back in the day, as most of the older tanks I've seen are 5yr and all of the new tanks are 10 yr, could be the 10's were more expensive ? I dunno

I am guessing that the 5 year and 10 year depends on type of inspection as well as inspection results (maybe).
All my tanks including one recertified few days ago are +* and from 70s or earlier.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I don't know, I thought the * has to do with the original manufacture, because it's always on the very first stamp (mfg stamp), and Ive never seen it added with subsequent inspections, only removed, and once it's gone it never comes back

I also have had 5 and 10 year tanks done by majestic, I would imagine the testing procedure is the same, but maybe not

Ive never looked into it all that hard though, all I know for sure is some tanks are 5yr, some 10, some + for over pressure, and some not

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ive never seen it added with subsequent inspections, only removed, and once it's gone it never comes back
That’s what I used to think as well. The tank referenced to in this thread got its “+” rating back on this test. I inquired. Was told they do a bit more testing to see if it can meet that standard; it did. Hence the “+” after it having not had it for ~ 15 years.