Welding Gases & Tank Certification, Calgary

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
That’s what I used to think as well. The tank referenced to in this thread got its “+” rating back on this test. I inquired. Was told they do a bit more testing to see if it can meet that standard; it did. Hence the “+” after it having not had it for ~ 15 years.

did not know that, i always thought once it was gone that was it, as i have never seen it come back

i would personally rather have the 10 year star over the + myself, dont often see a 10% over filled bottle, and never if your getting trans filled bottles

now if they could turn a 5 year bottle into a 10 year bottle i would pay double the hydro test fee just to save the hassle of having to bring it back in 5 years!

KeeponDragon

Super User
After all this discussion, I've never felt better about the decision to alter my tanks appearance.
I have had one other outfit in town refuse to fill it however.
And that's their discretion.

What I didn't appreciate, was the (I think based on his attitude) the asst Mgr, instruct the clerk to put it down on my file that my o2 tank is never to be filled.
I asked him if he thought that was necessary. He said we get ppl all the time try to pull a fast one.
I said no, not that. Why did you think it necessary to give your employee those instructions, while I'm standing right here.
I took my receipt from the clerk, smiled politely and left.

It's one thing to take issue with a customer, but do so like that...kinda pissed me off.
The folks at KMS, albeit higher priced, have no problems taking my $$ for a 250 o2 fill.
Can't win everywhere can we?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
What did you do to your bottle that the one outfit wouldn't fill it ? Give it a snazzy paint job ?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I removed enough surface material to erase the markings indicating it was a Praxair tank.

Just on the collar ? Or was the tank stamped and you sanded the tank ?

Sanding the marking off the collar is pretty common, done with a sanding disc you can't even tell...but I know some have the collar and the tank stamped, I have a boc tank like that

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I wonder why there is still this issue of filling tanks or not filling them - almost all tanks are owned now AFAIK. You can always get customer to certify that they own the tank.

KeeponDragon

Super User
Just on the collar ? Or was the tank stamped and you sanded the tank ?

Sanding the marking off the collar is pretty common, done with a sanding disc you can't even tell...but I know some have the collar and the tank stamped, I have a boc tank like that
both on the collar and the tank shell. The shell's stampings aren't even that deep.