• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Welcome to Westwood Metalworks, What is he building in there?

If you guessed chicken roost you win a dozen eggs.

Paint hardened up enough that when the wife said she wanted to go out for AYCE Sushi tonight I knew I had about 45 minutes till she was shoes on at the door so I went for the install. Got it done, am posting this, and she's still in the shower.....
kuVz4tw.webp

Still need to make a ladder up there, but I'm sure they'll figure it out in the meantime. Should be lots of room for them to all find a spot now. They were all very curious about what I was doing in there though.

That's what sold me on these ones. I was very close to pulling the trigger on some 5" cast iron ones, but they only had 800lb with needle bearings. Most likely would have been fine too, but I haven't finished designing the carriage yet, and knowing the way I build things, It'll be pretty chunky. These will roll smoother than the cast ones too I imagine.

If I was designing a cradle to support half a tractor I would incorporate a "jack stand" into it. Maybe have 1/2" clearance on either side of the wheels to the floor so the most it could drop would be that if a bearing failed.
Me too. My big tractor is 5 tons or so half a tractor is say 3tons. Over 4 wheels is well under a ton each.

I assume their rating is conservative. So likely well within their operating range with careful attention to balance and very low accelerations.

My experience with Jack Stands isn't good. They work fine with static loads under their rating but if something decides to move, you better not be in the neighbourhood!

That's what sold me on these ones. I was very close to pulling the trigger on some 5" cast iron ones, but they only had 800lb with needle bearings. Most likely would have been fine too, but I haven't finished designing the carriage yet, and knowing the way I build things, It'll be pretty chunky. These will roll smoother than the cast ones too I imagine.

If I was designing a cradle to support half a tractor I would incorporate a "jack stand" into it. Maybe have 1/2" clearance on either side of the wheels to the floor so the most it could drop would be that if a bearing failed.
How far are you in East GTA ?
I get into Steeles Ave and Keele St every few weeks.

Me too. My big tractor is 5 tons or so half a tractor is say 3tons. Over 4 wheels is well under a ton each.

I assume their rating is conservative. So likely well within their operating range with careful attention to balance and very low accelerations.

My experience with Jack Stands isn't good. They work fine with static loads under their rating but if something decides to move, you better not be in the neighbourhood!

I didn't mean jack stands in the traditional sense, but incorporating suitable material into the design of the cradle so that there is just enough clearance to the ground to move, but if the wheels pack it in, the cradle would only drop that clearance distance and nothing more. Function "like" a jack stand, but built in, and unobtrusive.

I've never been a big fan of wrenching on a car on jack stands. sometimes unavoidable, but makes me uneasy, and I double and triple check the setup.

I've never been a big fan of wrenching on a car on jack stands. sometimes unavoidable, but makes me uneasy, and I double and triple check the setup.

I hear you.

Shit also just happens too. Always good to try to think about what else could happen. Just recently had a boat trailer come off the truck hitch while I was under it. Didn't think of that possibility. Holy Crap....... Close call. Prolly my 42nd life.

Grew up in Newcastle, moved Downtown T.O. for about 4 years, then moved out here to the country in Kendal in 2010. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Had a chance to score some points with the Wife today. A few of her yarn vending racks took a beating in the trailer after the last show and spilled their guts. Good thing I have a spot welder....Straightened them out, and welded up a few that had separated.

Qn7YKfB.jpg

While she was in the trailer cleaning up the yarnsplosion I had an idea and came up with these simple hooks that attach to the top of the bin racks that can carry the gridwall. We're always trying to come up with more efficient ways to setup and teardown shows. One of the biggest hurdles right now is the gridwall she lines her booth with. It's a PITA to carry. We don't have room for a big enough dolly for it, and some venues might have one, maybe two that are suitable and there's a long line up for them. She has 6 racks, and 14 gridwall sections, so we can now very easily just hook a couple on the back of the racks, and get moving quickly without waiting. Load in/out is always a complete zoo at these things, so the quicker we're in and out the better. Everything else is now on wheels (a common theme with me :) )

WC6kE5q.jpg
clpGOop.jpg

They're just rough hammer bent in a vise, and I only made 2 to see if they would work, but am going to make more (with some changes) for the rest of the racks tomorrow. I'm also debating welding those frames up solid. They're not made to take the abuse they do bouncing around in the trailer all over the place.

Just thinking back to some of the shows in the past couple years how much of a pain it was getting the gridwall in makes me kind of pissed I didn't think of this earlier.......Almost looking forward to the next show now.....

Had a chance to score some points with the Wife today. A few of her yarn vending racks took a beating in the trailer after the last show and spilled their guts. Good thing I have a spot welder....Straightened them out, and welded up a few that had separated.

View attachment 51386

While she was in the trailer cleaning up the yarnsplosion I had an idea and came up with these simple hooks that attach to the top of the bin racks that can carry the gridwall. We're always trying to come up with more efficient ways to setup and teardown shows. One of the biggest hurdles right now is the gridwall she lines her booth with. It's a PITA to carry. We don't have room for a big enough dolly for it, and some venues might have one, maybe two that are suitable and there's a long line up for them. She has 6 racks, and 14 gridwall sections, so we can now very easily just hook a couple on the back of the racks, and get moving quickly without waiting. Load in/out is always a complete zoo at these things, so the quicker we're in and out the better. Everything else is now on wheels (a common theme with me :) )

View attachment 51387
View attachment 51388

They're just rough hammer bent in a vise, and I only made 2 to see if they would work, but am going to make more (with some changes) for the rest of the racks tomorrow. I'm also debating welding those frames up solid. They're not made to take the abuse they do bouncing around in the trailer all over the place.

Just thinking back to some of the shows in the past couple years how much of a pain it was getting the gridwall in makes me kind of pissed I didn't think of this earlier.......Almost looking forward to the next show now.....
I am sure that you will devise a BETTER arrangement as time passes.
Continuous Improvement can be applied everywhere !!

Back