3/8 or 1/2 plywood for me
Being a snot - tens of thousands of BC forestry workers out of work with mills closing, but buying wood from China? Makes sense.
I've used a bit of the local Chinese birch ply, say, half dozen sheets or so: 1/4", 1/2" & 3/4". Haven't seen much for voids or delaminating. Thickness has been fairly consistent. The one issue I came up against is the finish ply is awful thin. Doesn't take much sanding to go right through.@JustaDB Chinese stuff is the low priced leader, for wall covering it doesn’t matter much but for woodworking it can be a painful, voids, delaminating and not exactly flat.
I hate it. I put on thicker coats of paint than that finish layer. Absolutely need to pre tape the cut line or lose dinner plate size pieces.I've used a bit of the local Chinese birch ply, say, half dozen sheets or so: 1/4", 1/2" & 3/4". Haven't seen much for voids or delaminating. Thickness has been fairly consistent. The one issue I came up against is the finish ply is awful thin. Doesn't take much sanding to go right through.
That has been my exact experience also. If I could get the same thickness of the stuff at a near price of the D grade plywood I used, I'd go with the Chinese birch. Way nicer surface to paint and if I fella varathaned it it would make a purty darn nice shop wall!I've used a bit of the local Chinese birch ply, say, half dozen sheets or so: 1/4", 1/2" & 3/4". Haven't seen much for voids or delaminating. Thickness has been fairly consistent. The one issue I came up against is the finish ply is awful thin. Doesn't take much sanding to go right through.
I hate it. I put on thicker coats of paint than that finish layer. Absolutely need to pre tape the cut line or lose dinner plate size pieces.
I've noted before, lots of guys around here are using 3/4" Chinese birch instead of drywall or OSB for their shop walls.Way nicer surface to paint and if I fella varathaned it it would make a purty darn nice shop wall!
I taped some of the cut lines, but have never lost anything from those I didn't.Absolutely need to pre tape the cut line or lose dinner plate size pieces.
What goo? Acoustic caulking at joints?One advantage of drywall is that it's heavy - good for stopping noise permeating walls. If you're close to neighbors (or irritable family) this might be important. I've been researching soundproofing and the most cost effective methods are basically just multiple layers of drywall with acoustic goo in between.
Just looked it up again (it's been a while) you want "green glue" between the sheets and normal acoustic caulk at joints. I'm really not an expert though. Like machining chatter, it's fundamentally a vibrations problem so pretty complex.What goo? Acoustic caulking at joints?