441.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220112_155059.jpg
    20220112_155059.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 13

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a pile of vises (and not many vices).

I am the opposite. I have a pile of vices and not many vises! My best vise is definitely a vice....

Funny, cuz I really don't drink much at all, and I don't do any drugs either. But my favorite vice is definitely my bride! She is a keeper, and so I have. That said, she does like to keep the vise tight!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I am the opposite. I have a pile of vices and not many vises! My best vise is definitely a vice....

Funny, cuz I really don't drink much at all, and I don't do any drugs either. But my favorite vice is definitely my bride! She is a keeper, and so I have. That said, she does like to keep the vise tight!

@Susquatch good one, your a very naughty hairy puppy or is it old mad dog! LOL

Well, got sent home from work early today so I went and picked her up with a 4" vice, now the T bolt for the vice dont fit my mini mill table, might have to file them down

Attachments

• 20220112_130313.jpg
    20220112_130313.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220112_130324.jpg
    20220112_130324.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220112_130342.jpg
    20220112_130342.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220112_130350.jpg
    20220112_130350.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 19

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Your tooling will depend on what you want to make and how much you want to spend.
When I was machining for ExCellO we used to finish grind every cartridge and tool holder. Mind you we were making the cutters that CNC work centres used to turn out hundreds of products. The tolerances were in the ten-thousandths and had to be confirmed by several inspection procedures.

It is very expensive to be that accurate.
For us as hobbyists, that sort of precision is in another life.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
DMH machine tools delivered this flyer today. It looks like a knockoff and Kurt vise for $558. Does anyone own An AutoWell vise?

Attachments

• P_20220114_124700.jpg
    P_20220114_124700.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 14

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Janger and I each bought Autowell Kurt clones about 5 years ago. The Autowell was a whole .003 different from the Kurt, so they cannot be used together unless you make a custome riser block (which John did)

We both own a Kurt and the Autowell D666 clone, and so does Janger. We've compared notes and like them both. The Kurt is a smidge better, but you have to have them both side by side to notice.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Just before Christmas Kurt scratch and dent had the DX4 on for $505US so I put it in a cart to think about it. Bad move, I went back two days later and it was up to $535US. I thought sale scratch and dent would go down in price not up. Now I see they are sold out, as the saying goes - he who hesitates doesn't get a new vise. lol

Six O Two

(Marco)
I was really close to buying a Kurt scratch and dent before Christmas as well, while cross-shopping with Shar's Taiwan-made Tegara line at ~$320USD. With shipping, the Kurt vises start to seem more reasonable, because they do a flat $50USD shipping rate to Canada, whereas Shar's shipping was ~$150USD to Canada. I could have sworn the Kurt's S'n'Ds were <$500 when I looked though...

At the end of the day, I couldn't justify the extra cost of the Kurt for my hobby work. I bought the Shar's during their Black Friday sale. I'm not too far from the border, so I get it shipped to a US mailbox (domestic shipping was only $50) and the border opened up for a very short window before Delta and Omicron went nuts, enabling me to pick it up before Christmas. No complaints yet, but I haven't really put it through its paces.

LenVW

Premium Member
I noticed your post and the Ex-Cell-O nameplate.
What is your connection to the #602 knee mills that we made in Clinton 30 years ago ?
What town is near your location (Golden, Vernon, ?)

Six O Two

(Marco)
I noticed your post and the Ex-Cell-O nameplate.
What is your connection to the #602 knee mills that we made in Clinton 30 years ago ?
What town is near your location (Golden, Vernon, ?)

@LenVW - no official connection, other than having one in my garage and having an outsized fondness for it (bought used a few years ago. It came out of an IBM facility out east, but I don't really know any more about it than that). I think I read in one of your posts some of your affiliations with Ex-Cell-O, which is so amazing, and so great to have on this forum. One day, I'll have to give my machine some serious love (it likes to howl sometimes when I start it up), and I suspect when I finally make time for that, I'll have many, many questions.

I'm between Nelson and Castlegar BC.

LenVW

Premium Member
That area of BC must be beautiful !!
My sister lives in Vancouver, near UBC.
I have been to Vancouver, Whistler and Vancouver Island, but it has been 40 years since I drove out to Vernon with two buddies from high school.

I know a guy here in Cambridge whose entire business is rebuilding #602’s.
Google: Preston Rebuilt Machinery - Roy Weidinger

Ex-Cell-O’s Special Tools Division in Clinton, ON was where I apprenticed as a machinist.
It closed sometime in the 1990’s when Ex-Cell-O was acquired by Textron.

LenVW

Premium Member
Sorry, never been to Clinton, BC.
Clinton, Ontario is directly North of London on Highway #4.

Town of about 3000 and they used to have an annual Dutch Festival.
‘The Klompen Fest’ or Wooden Shoe Fair. There are a lot of descendants from the Netherlands around Clinton.