• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Vickers Vedette flying boat

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Very neat, next time I am near the Museum I will have to stop in to look at it with the kids. There is also a old blue Bombadier in that museum that my dad had the pleasure of driving for work before it was put in the museum. He always wondered what happened to it, then about 18 years ago we went to the museum for a family outing and sure enough he was re-united with it.
Very neat, next time I am near the Museum I will have to stop in to look at it with the kids. There is also a old blue Bombadier in that museum that my dad had the pleasure of driving for work before it was put in the museum. He always wondered what happened to it, then about 18 years ago we went to the museum for a family outing and sure enough he was re-united with it.

Yes the old blue Bombadier is an excellent exhibit and there's much, much, more for all ages to view. Come summer it's the short line steam engine and tractor doing their thing. Pandemic has some events at the museum pretty much at a stand still.

Rotaxxx

Yes the old blue Bombadier is an excellent exhibit and there's much, much, more for all ages to view. Come summer it's the short line steam engine and tractor doing their thing. Pandemic has some events at the museum pretty much at a stand still.

There is a dent that was hammered out of the back corner of that Bombadier, that may or may not have been put there by my Dad :D. I wish I could remember the exact story, unfortunately it was too long ago and Dad's memory isn't what it use to be to ask. He use to work for the Parks, long retired now.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
There is a dent that was hammered out of the back corner of that Bombadier, that may or may not have been put there by my Dad :D. I wish I could remember the exact story, unfortunately it was too long ago and Dad's memory isn't what it use to be to ask. He use to work for the Parks, long retired now.

I'm aware of the damage repair you mention as one can hardly miss it however, I have no knowledge of how or where it happened. Can't imagine what it was like riding in the beast let alone driving same.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I think all the descriptive works have been used and I second all, absolutely wonderful. I visited the Museum a few times to see the projects progress and just enjoy the history. The only way I see to show our thanks and appreciation for the dedication and hours spent by the volunteers is to visit and donate to these museums that are keeping these pieces of history as something more than a picture on a 15" screen.
Thanks Bill and all.
While posted in Moosejaw in the late 90's I had a chance to take my Dad to meet Harry Whereatt and get a tour of the farm in Assiniboia. Harry's collection of warbirds and parts and pieces was jaw dropping. I was offered and jumped at the opportunity to sit in his Hurricane and play fighter pilot, that was so cool! :cool: Harry had multiple buildings full of warbird stuff including a 50 plus foot long Quonset building that had round engines lined up 4 deep down the one side and wings/fuselages/landing gear and all parts and pieces of war birds down the other side. Assiniboia was a RCAF training field and at the end of the war when all the surplus aircraft were being parted out or destroyed, Harry and family would take the tractor into the base (Harry's farm was at the end of one runway) and grab what they could. Everything from parts to whole aircraft including a Lancaster, Lysander, Tiger Moth and more.
Dusty - is Harry's farm still a source of parts and pieces for the museum?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
This brief story is not directly related to the history of our WDM Vedette here in Moose Jaw although interesting in its own right.

October 28th 1929 a Royal Canadian Airforce Vickers Vedette call letters G-CYZN flown by No. 1 (Operations) Wing out of Winnipeg was surveying and photo mapping northern Saskatchewan when it lost power being forced into a small wilderness lake. The aircraft sustained heavy damage to the hull and sank, the aircrew escaped unharmed then walked out the 58 Km more-or-less due south to Smeaton. The lake was officially named Zeden (ZN) Lake because of that.

Attachments

• plane-420x244.jpg
    plane-420x244.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Hacker

Super User
I will definitely be stopping by and having a look the next time we pass through Moose Jaw. We usually over night at the River Park Campground on our way back from Winnipeg.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Dusty - is Harry's farm still a source of parts and pieces for the museum?

From what I understand Harry Whereatt passed away with most everything being sold off and his family since sold the family farm. Apparently his Hurricane sold for huge bucks to someone with very deep pockets. Years back the Department Of Transport (DOT) prevented Harry from running his Lysanders (believe he had two) up and down the old runway for fear he might take off which would be so typical of Harry.

Sorry I can't be more helpful Super User!

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
Bill I'm truly sorry I miss this thread as it unfolded. I have loved aircraft since I can remember having memories if that makes sense to you. Leaning towards radial powered, prop driven, cloth wrapped wooden framed works of art beauty and grace. (But the Granville Brothers audacity makes me grin)
If I was in that group of "youngsters" I know I would have lingered behind for the opportunity.
I add my thanks along with all others here.

DougD

Hi Dusty,

New member here and just came across this post while doing some on-line searching for Vickers Vidette info. I'm actually located in Regina and have visited the WDM many times, in particular to look at the Vidette which is very very impressive.

Concerning the aircraft that sunk in Zeden Lake, do you know if this was ever recovered?

Best Regards,
Doug Daverne

PS I'm a private pilot and exprimental homebuilder involved with EAA Chpt 154 out at Disley, Sk.