VFD programming Hz ?

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
2.2kW VFD Drive Inverter, 220V AC Single-Phase Variable Frequency Drive Inverter, Walfront VFD Speed Controller Inverter for 3-Phase Motor

2.2kW VFD Drive Inverter, 220V AC...

So, I bought this VFD on Amazon in 2021 -- it works, driving a 2hp x 3ph motor with it. Variable speed works but max Hz seems to be pre-programmed at 65 -- I'd like to dial it up to about 90 but can't figure out how to do it (limited info came with it) , Amazon info says 0 - 400 Hz.
I have a Hitachi inverter on another motor that I've set the max Hz to 90 no problem but that came with ~40+ pages of detailed instructions.
Anyone here been able to dial up the Hz past the pre-set 65 max ?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Have any settings called "Maximum Output Frequency" or "Upper Limit Frequency"? I have both settings on mine set to 90.

Last edited:

Ironman

Ultra Member
Yes, every one except the one currently on the lathe.
Most like Teco, and AC Lenz and Vevor have only the bare motor data like what is maximum amps.
This latest Mollem, wants motor cycles, poles, rpm, amps and volts. I set the motor at 60 cycles and she stops at 60. Happily goes down to 1, and back up to 60.
So I'm guessing that motor data is the limiter. Before I put in the motor data it would scroll up way past 90. If motor cycles were set to 90 it would probably go there. I've decided to leave mine at 60 cycles max because if I develop chatter when turning I want to slow it to get out of the resonant freq range of the work piece.
You will have to go into the setup and find out if the motor data is the bad guy in there.
Also Craig has settings to pay attention to.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Boy, you guys are all FAST!

I have a crappy manual for one that LOOKS like that. I could copy pages if the info at the links doesn't turn out to be correct.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Thanks guys, I've printed that manual, I'll have to spend some time today poking away at those buttons and see if I get anywhere.
I'll let you know !

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Reset to factory is your friend. When I play with such things I start with a reset, then log every change I make. If I can't fix the last change, I reset and start over. I rarely try to go back more than one step because some changes change other things. It's a PIA but it's better than getting lost in the VFD jungle.

BaitMaster

Super User
Reset to factory is your friend. When I play with such things I start with a reset, then log every change I make. If I can't fix the last change, I reset and start over. I rarely try to go back more than one step because some changes change other things. It's a PIA but it's better than getting lost in the VFD jungle.
The trick with the VFD jungle is when you get too deep you get lost and become Tarzan.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The trick with the VFD jungle is when you get too deep you get lost and become Tarzan.

Yup. Not a lot of difference between an ape in the jungle and a hairy old Susquatch except for the sex appeal..... Poor Tarzan never stood a chance!

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
OK, Thanks to those that replied, the manual posted gave me the sequence of buttons to push, was able to increase the max Hz but no joy.
1st attempt, plugged in 90 Hz -- motor ran but quite slow to respond, surging rpm, and as I rolled in Hz on the pot, it finally threw an error code and quit (e6 IIRC over current).
2nd attempt, tried 70 Hz, same result though not quite as pronounced.
Went back to the default 65 Hz.
Seems like this combination of VFD / 2 hp motor doesn't like any more than 65 Hz, even @ 65 I've got to roll in the Hz slowly or it'll throw the error code and quit but it will take it and run at about 2000 rpm for an hour or more without any other drama if I roll into it slowly.
Maybe I need a bit bigger VFD ?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
OK, Thanks to those that replied, the manual posted gave me the sequence of buttons to push, was able to increase the max Hz but no joy.
1st attempt, plugged in 90 Hz -- motor ran but quite slow to respond, surging rpm, and as I rolled in Hz on the pot, it finally threw an error code and quit (e6 IIRC over current).
Seems like this combination of VFD / 2 hp motor doesn't like any more than 65 Hz, even @ 65 I've got to roll in the Hz slowly or it'll throw the error code and quit but it will take it and run at about 2000 rpm for an hour or more without any other drama if I roll into it slowly.
At 2.2kW you should be fine for a 2hp motor.
Assuming that P01 is set to 60Hz?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
To get mine to run at 90 hz I had to move the minimum to around 25hz. It seems to have a 65hz bandwidth.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

My guess is that you have the wrong control mode set.

IMHO (which I bet others would vehemently disagree with) I think it's best to start right off with setting up the motor parameters and then head straight to sensor less vector control mode. Other modes don't like all sorts of things. But it's crazy to run anything else so why not just start there?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I don't know for sure but I have the same vfds and run my motors up to 90hz. No problems yet. I believe I read a few places that should not be a problem and I think I may have read that double (120hz) is likely ok.
Yikes. Double sounds...ambitious? But it would save me changing to a 6 inch drive wheel on my grinder, maybe.