CA-BC VFD enclosures

British Columbia
Type
Shop

Ironman

Ultra Member
I've been screwing my VFDs to the wall and running armored cable to them from both supply and to the motors. But at the VFD itself there's no good way to tuck away the conductors. Clearly these things need to be in grounded cabinets.
I'm not sure I need DIN rails in there as most of my setups are dirt simple - power in, power out, and one CAT-4 cable for control signals. I need at least 3 cabinets at this point.

Any good recommendations and sources for such cabinets?

Paul
In the environments we create the box is a safety item. Flying lathe chips only have to enter the drive through the cooling slots once. Having recently seen one self destruct, I know I would sleep easy and not worry if I forgot to shut off the VFD if it was in a box. I have the capability of making one, I have a nice press brake, but sometimes common sense says you can't beat the chinese. So now I am looking at this one
The Mollem drive I bought to replace the burned one says :
The drive units must be installed in a fireproof cabinet with doors that provide effective electrical and
mechanical protection. The installation must conform to local and regional laws and regulations, and to
relevant IEC requirements.
1706195036259.png

Ironman

Ultra Member
I paid over 100$ for an 8X8X8 electrical box with knockouts. this was before you could easily get alternatives on the web. I'm sure you can do better even at an electrical supply place nowadays.

The only requirement is that they close with screws or is lockable. Not that any of them is ever locked, but that *used* to be the rule (my CEC is now 10 years out of date)
I hate to tell you Dabbler, the electrical wholesaler I deal with was so pricey my hair turned grey. We're talking 280 to 600 bucks

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Jezz. That's even my own thread...... I am sooooo embarrassed. Getting old really sucks but that borders on dementia.
Hey don't feel so bad about it, I'm 25 years your junior and I seem to battle with that too. It's a complicated world with alot of stuff to keep track of. Now if in fact it is related to dementia.....I'm doomed. You on the other hand, are doing mighty fine I'd say, you seem like a sharp old tack to me and I could only hope to be as "with it" at your age.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Hey don't feel so bad about it, I'm 25 years your junior and I seem to battle with that too. It's a complicated world with alot of stuff to keep track of. Now if in fact it is related to dementia.....I'm doomed. You on the other hand, are doing mighty fine I'd say, you seem like a sharp old tack to me and I could only hope to be as "with it" at your age.
I don’t think dementia and memory loss is related. I think us old guys are like old computers, and we only have a Seagate 20mb MFM storage drive. It gets full with birthdates of second cousins grandkids and the names of coworkers from 30 years ago, defrag doesn’t work, and the bearings develop stiction. You younger folks just started out with greater storage capacity.