• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CA-BC VFD enclosures

British Columbia
Type
Shop

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I've been screwing my VFDs to the wall and running armored cable to them from both supply and to the motors. But at the VFD itself there's no good way to tuck away the conductors. Clearly these things need to be in grounded cabinets.
I'm not sure I need DIN rails in there as most of my setups are dirt simple - power in, power out, and one CAT-4 cable for control signals. I need at least 3 cabinets at this point.

Any good recommendations and sources for such cabinets?

Paul

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Though all three machines are on the same wall and same 220v circuit. So I could gang all three in one cabinet with power distribution in there as well. So I'm open to a solution in that direction as well.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I usually get them on ebay. The one on my large lathe is actually a pneumatics control cabinet. I got it brand new, in box very cheap on ebay.

If you are wall mounting them, you could probably use any steel cabinet as long as its not going to be inspected.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I paid over 100$ for an 8X8X8 electrical box with knockouts. this was before you could easily get alternatives on the web. I'm sure you can do better even at an electrical supply place nowadays.

If you are wall mounting them, you could probably use any steel cabinet as long as its not going to be inspected.

The only requirement is that they close with screws or is lockable. Not that any of them is ever locked, but that *used* to be the rule (my CEC is now 10 years out of date)

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
How big? Guy in Langley is selling 10x10x6 boxes for $4 each

Attachments

• IMG_6603.png
    IMG_6603.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Did you see the lead time on that box? Donkey pack from East China then a row boat across the Pacific would be faster.
I'm seeing 443 in stock?

Most of the time, Bud does not offer step files (3D modelling). Hammond seems to have a step file for everything. Seems I'm forever trying to squeeze 10 kg of stuff into a 5 kg box and modelling before ordering helps.

Hacker

Super User
I've been screwing my VFDs to the wall and running armored cable to them from both supply and to the motors. But at the VFD itself there's no good way to tuck away the conductors. Clearly these things need to be in grounded cabinets.
I'm not sure I need DIN rails in there as most of my setups are dirt simple - power in, power out, and one CAT-4 cable for control signals. I need at least 3 cabinets at this point.

Any good recommendations and sources for such cabinets?

Paul
I stop in at the Habitat For Humanity Reuse Store. They sometimes have them there. I usually stop in once a month to see what they have and the prices are very good. I have used control cabinets from fire alarms and Alarm systems. This one has a vfd and the controls for my rotary phase converter in it. Nice door that swings open.

Cabinet.jpg

Attachments

• 1689775105850.png
    1689775105850.png
    568.7 KB · Views: 0

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS would I have thought to go there for that! I LOVE IT.

Gunna stop in there on my way home.

Alarm/Fire Panel Box is prolly PERFECT!

THANK YOU @Hacker !!!!
I was in the Habitat for Humanity store once in Edmonton and I was amazed at all the stuff they had. I wish I could frequent one more often.

Hacker

Super User
Dragged my bride in there today. BIG MISTAKE. I'm just glad we were in the car not the truck....... No electrical boxes this visit. I'll go alone next time......
Interesting place. you never know what you are going to find. I have picked up solder, cutting oil and electrical parts there as well. We also donate items that I don't need anymore.