• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

VFD Altivar31 fast brake

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I finally get around to installing a braking resistor for my mill that uses a Alivar31 VFD

I find the brake settings somewhat confusing, the manual states that some settings get hidden when a feature is disabled, so this might be part of it.

I did manage to change the setting stt to FSt (for fast stop) and it does stop faster about 3x faster about 1 s from max RPM but not as fast as my drill press.

Not sure (yet):
1) if I need to use DC injection stop instead of FSt? I tried but it did not seem to work at all, but perhaps the other DC injection settings need to be tweaked?
2) also not obvious to me if tdC Total DC injection braking time needs to be longer, default is 0.5s,

Anyone play with the braking settings on a Altivar31?

BaitMaster

Super User
Hi,

Have you set bRa to NO?

Manual shows that parameter is incompatible with braking resistor usage. Page 44 of ATV31 manual from SE corporate site.

Access by FUN- —> rpc- —> bRa.

Good luck!