Vevor vises....quality?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
What is it?
It's a "checking fixture" for an automotive heat shield. My day job is designing and building various types of fixtures for automotive parts, Stampings, and mouldings. That is a little guy for a foil heat shield, but they get much bigger for parts like rockers, and other stampings. Pretty much every part and major assembly in a car has a custom fixture to gauge it's dimensional accuracy during production. Various types from simple holding fixtures where parts are held for a CMM/scanner to probe them, to full attribute fixtures like that one with pin and feeler gauges to check holes, form and trim edges. We also do welding fixtures too. Sometimes customers will also use the check fixture to weld on also......That's like using a mic as a c clamp......

Interesting field that's kept me well employed for almost 20 years now. The industry has changed quite a bit over the years. Don't think I'd get 20 more.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I use my Gerardi as a normal vise and I use a grinding (machinist) vise mounted in my Gerardi if I need compounds or whatever.

I'm no vise expert, but I have learned to love mine. It's way better than anything else I ever used in my life and prolly works twice as well as I know how to use it!
One of the reasons I don't like them in the CNC's is because of all the holes to clean out, and I can't use soft jaws in them. The Kurt's are just better for that. I've love to have one at home on the Excello, but my pockets aren't that deep. Maybe one day when I strike it big, and am bigger than Scotty Cameron.......:rolleyes:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
It's called a Boomigan and it only adds two strokes to your score sheet.......:rolleyes:
lol. I've heard of some big charity scramble tournaments down south that will have a golf ball cannon you can pay to have drive for you. Would love to make one for the ones we run, but I just know somebody would get shot in the ass....lol. Not sure of the legalities in Canada either. Course probably wouldn't like it too.....

lol. I've heard of some big charity scramble tournaments down south that will have a golf ball cannon you can pay to have drive for you. Would love to make one for the ones we run, but I just know somebody would get shot in the ass....lol. Not sure of the legalities in Canada either. Course probably wouldn't like it too.....
I bet that @historicalarms could make you one that will send your ball three courses over, nevermind just the next hole.... Lol
IMG-20210725-WA0000001.jpg

mbond

Premium Member
I've played with a lot of clubs, niblic, spoon, and all kinds of crazy ones, but never a 'boomigan'! I don't think they sell that at golf town though

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
It's a "checking fixture" for an automotive heat shield. My day job is designing and building various types of fixtures for automotive parts, Stampings, and mouldings. That is a little guy for a foil heat shield, but they get much bigger for parts like rockers, and other stampings. Pretty much every part and major assembly in a car has a custom fixture to gauge it's dimensional accuracy during production. Various types from simple holding fixtures where parts are held for a CMM/scanner to probe them, to full attribute fixtures like that one with pin and feeler gauges to check holes, form and trim edges. We also do welding fixtures too. Sometimes customers will also use the check fixture to weld on also......That's like using a mic as a c clamp......

Interesting field that's kept me well employed for almost 20 years now. The industry has changed quite a bit over the years. Don't think I'd get 20 more.
This is the other end of the spectrum from that red one. A full attribute fixture for an engine cradle assembly.
7hHqVDW.jpg

That one was fun.....

trevj

Ultra Member
I met a guy that was making putters out of solid brass.

The funny thing was, he was hacking the living hells out of his hands, as he drilled various holes. I offered to show him a solution, but he all but spat in my face, as he was a metalworker by trade, and I was an "Ignorant Mechanic".

So, I showed the 'other' guy, how to put a flat on the edge of a drill so it turned into an easy job! To my knowledge, the A-Hole never did learn the trick!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I met a guy that was making putters out of solid brass.

The funny thing was, he was hacking the living hells out of his hands, as he drilled various holes. I offered to show him a solution, but he all but spat in my face, as he was a metalworker by trade, and I was an "Ignorant Mechanic".

So, I showed the 'other' guy, how to put a flat on the edge of a drill so it turned into an easy job! To my knowledge, the A-Hole never did learn the trick!

That's kinda what drove me to making my first one. I stumbled on a bunch of videos from what's considered the worlds best custom putter maker, and was somewhat gobsmacked by some of the methods and machining and thought "well I can do better than that....". It was rabbit hole journey discovering the wide world of custom putter makers, but your experience sums up a few of them. I cut them some slack, because most aren't formally trained machinists, or engineers. Just some self taught guys that had an idea, a dream, and the balls to follow it.

It doesn't excuse the attitude to shit on people trying to help you though. To me it doesn't matter what your title or job description is, you can learn something from anybody. Sometimes it's what NOT to do, but still, we have 2 eyes, 2 ears, and one mouth, they should be used in that ratio.

At the end of the day a putter is just a block of metal on a stick. Shaped in certain ways to present a suitable face to hit a ball into a hole with. There are some intrinsic details like loft/lie angle, length, weight, face angle balance, face texture etc. A bit more details than most realize, that all depend on the person swinging it, but still, just a block on a stick. It's not rocket science.

A lot of the details in custom putters are just fancy flash to make you feel better about shelling out hundred of dollars for something that wont make you putt any better. :D. A quality well made product/tool is always a pleasure to use though.

Rant on, What drives me NUTS is the trend of crooked letter and number stamping made popular by said industry leader above. As someone that's spent a great deal of time with letter and number punches in my hand taking great care to stamp tooling details straight and even, it pisses me off when some jackwagon comes out and starts stamping all wacky like and people start throwing money at him paying EXTRA for it. Just go buy your own stamps for $30 and let a kid do it, I guarantee it wont be worse. If I payed that much money and received that, I'd blow a gasket. Rant off. lol.

There are quite a few guys though that are very talented highly skilled craftsman that make some really nice products. I have a lot to learn about the cosmetic side of finishing. I'm so used to making utilitarian things, tooling and repair items, and not taking that extra step to make them shine because it's not needed. A quick rub with a scotchbrite pad, and convolute wheel doesn't really cut it on stuff like this. I need to up my game. and learn to buff, plate, and polish. Baby steps.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member

How about combining some technologies. This guy built a 50 caliber baseball bat. 575 foot hit, longest ever. Downsize a bit, with .243 Winchester driver you'll be the talk of the town.

1702213980973.png

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
They actually make one

https://www.powergolfclub.com/

I always enjoyed watching his videos though. His absence makes me wonder what he's working on for the next one......

That thing would be fun to play around with for an afternoon. 575 is absolutely crushed though. The longest HR I ever hit, hit one of those pine trees near the road about 5' up and is around 400'. I've seen a few bigger ones into the tops of those trees, probably about 440-450, but 575 would be a monster lol. Tough to imagine.
harv.png

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Yes , in afterthought and confusion caused I should have put a hyphen in the name.
As for shooting golf balls in cannons has been done for ions because of the availability of used balls for ammo. I obseved a cannon shooting copetion on time that one of the fellows was using golf balls....man those things would go a long ways with a 1/4 lb of powder charge, those ball would disapear of over the horizon every shot if it missed the sand bank that was the intended backstop, they were easily trveling 5-600 yrds.
The thing with them was , he couldnt regularly hit anywheres close to the target like the lead shooters could. We could stand directly behind his cannon and watch those balls do everything but fly straight under that much velocity ( prob 1500 fps or so), basicaly they went every direction but what was intended.
I think they could be used very safely in your scramble tourney but you would want a very controlled minimum charge weight.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I used to use a "Dummy Launcher" to train dogs to retrieve hundreds of yards. They used those 22RF nail driver cartridges. You just picked the colour for the range you wanted. The Dummies were 10x the weight of a golf ball so I imagine a golf ball could go a km or so.

trevj

Ultra Member
I used to use a "Dummy Launcher" to train dogs to retrieve hundreds of yards. They used those 22RF nail driver cartridges. You just picked the colour for the range you wanted. The Dummies were 10x the weight of a golf ball so I imagine a golf ball could go a km or so.
Those cartridges pack a pretty good punch, and use a VERY fast powder.

I have seen some reloadable rimfire cartridges, for use in Antique pistols, that used them as the sole power source, as well as I have (and know the guy that makes them) a Hammond Game Getter, for my hunting rifle, which also uses a nail driver blank.

I should go root through my shi...Uh Junk, yeah, that's it, junk, (..or maybe, stuff!) and see if I can find the 27 caliber blanks I got at a garage sale, and see how they push a golf ball!

Some years back, on a metalworking Newsgroup, one fella reported that he had been having issues with a nearby neighbor, who lived up a considerable hill from him, firing golf balls off the edge of the hill into the ravine they both backed on to. Not an issue, except said golfer would hit the guy's roof, vehicle, stuff like that. Couldn't hit the balls back (too far uphill) so be 'returned' a couple golf balls with a home built air gun. Said that after a golf ball went through the plate glass on the golfer's house, and likely embedded in the ceiling, all golf practice into the ravine ceased!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Has anyone ever tried forming sheet metal using the nailgun cartridges somewhat like hydro forming? I’ve always wondered about how much force would be applied during detonation.

trevj

Ultra Member
Has anyone ever tried forming sheet metal using the nailgun cartridges somewhat like hydro forming? I’ve always wondered about how much force would be applied during detonation.
Might be less work carving the part from solid, than carving out a suitably strong form/firing mechanism to contain the forces. I guess that depends on what you had in mind. What do you have in mind?

Watches some videos of explosive forming deep rocket nose cones. Done in a buried in the ground 45 gallon drum full of water. Small charge of more or less 'regular' explosives, on the outside of the form, and they pulled a vacuum on the inside, before they fired it, resulting in a small thump, a big splash, and a pretty neatly formed bit of sheet metal!

A friend of mine had posted some video on youtube of using his grease gun, to form scale headlight housings for a mini Harley he is building... Lesse...

FWIW, Clarence was a Civil Engineer, IIRC, with the City of Edmonton. His life was largely about a lot of the ring road and other Highways on and off ramps around there. When he retired, he decided to take up metalworking. Apparently, a great choice! He is building three Harley bikes. One is a half scale dresser, one a chopper, and one, he said, will be electric, because the West Ed Mall "allows seniors to ride around on their electric scooters in winter!".

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’m not planning to try this but was more curious about the pressures it would create for forming. The first thing I’d try would be either hydro forming or a mold that compresses rubber using a suitable hydraulic press to fill the form.