Vevor knee mill X-axis power feeds <$200

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
I was just looking at my Align power feed manual . It has 560 in-lb of torque and it has been very good. The only slight problem I have had is that the speed control knob is in the middle of the direction handle and there is just enough friction between the two that sometimes the speed will change when you change direction. I just watch for this and set it back when it happens. I suppose I could take it apart and relieve what ever is causing the drag between the two but so far it really hasn't been that much of a problem.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
That's how I used it on my knee. I would post a picture etc. but my main PC wouldn't reboot properly last night. The usual loading windows screen and then black with only a cursor. I suspect it's a virus that prevents access at least based on what I've read on the web.

It's not the hardware because an older 1TB drive boots correctly but it's from 2 years ago. A lot has happened in two years. So I've booted off that and the original drive is a secondary drive. I'm busy copying the various project folders to the server for backup now.

That will take a day or so yet to get everything copied over.

Anyway, I've used my ELS to run my rotary table too. Just set the jog increment so it rotates the table the number of steps for the increment needed. So if I want 32 divisions each jog moves 11.25 degrees. However many stepper motor steps that requires.

Same with the knee. Tell it what the division ratio is for 0.001" and each jog can move that amount. But you still have to run something. When I have photos back I'll dig out one my friend Joe did of his mill with just a DC motor, some reduction belts and chain drive and a DC motor controller. No incremental movement but no cranking by hand either.
okay so one more question,... since your ELS basically can be programmed to make incremental moves, I guess I can use it to run a cnc finger joint jig. I assume I can input a pitch for whatever lead screw I'm using to allow the controller to calculate rotations to move "x" number of increments.

I've been wanting a cnc finger jointer for a while now and have a slew of arduino nanos I was saving for this type of project. The number of projects that you can use stepper motors for in the shop is massive. With forethought you can design a pretty universal box that gives you versatility, or you can make existing controllers do what you want...

for me the finger joint jig is paramount, then the gear hobber, then a knee power feed,

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I'm surprised your list is so short..... :rolleyes:
dude, the list is massive.

I needed those 3 items months ago. I'll be getting them done asap... everything else can wait a bit.

I need the knee power feed so much I'm expediting that project, I was going to make a nut to fit my cordless drill. But now I'll make a simple servo drive based on the device David found. Then I can just raise and lower the knee super fast. Later I'll make a controller or use the ELS to be able to move the knee incrementally.

I have much of the gear hobber partially completed. I need it to speed the manufacture of gears for my etching presses.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
okay so one more question,... since your ELS basically can be programmed to make incremental moves, I guess I can use it to run a cnc finger joint jig. I assume I can input a pitch for whatever lead screw I'm using to allow the controller to calculate rotations to move "x" number of increments.

I've been wanting a cnc finger jointer for a while now and have a slew of arduino nanos I was saving for this type of project. The number of projects that you can use stepper motors for in the shop is massive. With forethought you can design a pretty universal box that gives you versatility, or you can make existing controllers do what you want...

for me the finger joint jig is paramount, then the gear hobber, then a knee power feed,
Short answer is yes.

PROJECTS folder is backed up.
Now copying USERS folder which is massively big.
Once done I can take a stab at rebuilding system.

At one point in the ELS development I started writing an app that let you design the menu structure. It's one file that has the linked list tree structure.

It's actually pretty easy to add additional menus for custom projects.