• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Vertical bandsaw or Porta-band?

Tool

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
What size of stock can that portaband handle?
Depends but the Milwaukee and King are 5"x5"

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Some old school horizontal bandsaws had an additional hinge so it could rotate facing the same direction that the offcuts fall off, but I haven't seen one of those since the early 60s

chip4charlie

Here's a bolt-on VFD and brushless motor kit:

"In this video we take a fully functional Craftsman 14" wood only band saw and upgrade it. The original induction motor runs at a fixed 1,700 RPM and it destroys metal blades because it only runs at 1,700 feet per minuet. When finished the the blade speed is variable between 200 feet per minuet and 2,600 FPM. Now it will cut steel and aluminum as thick as 8". There are two types of servo motors used. both of which will be available on eBay as a direct bolt on to fit this saw and several other brands that are the same actual band saw. These kits will show on eBay by searching for 14" Craftsman Band Saw Servo Motor. Make sure it is listed bt eBay member named: thecustomcrafter. Look up my contact information on my website: www.thecustomcrafter.com Actual eBay item numbers will be listed soon"

He also sells VFD and 1HP motor bolt-on kits for the 7x series mini lathes.

Last edited:
I used to cut vertically on my 4x6 and now still cut lots on my 7x12 made a larger table for it (actual used the same one from my 4x6). I cut up to 1"x12"x18" AL plate to shape @ 34lbs to start. BTW the split between Horizontal and Vertical is about 50/50.

The secret to not tipping it is sit on it like a saw horse, I put a cushion on it so I'm comfy and safe. No tipping, no losing fingers.

As to what you should get, the small saw portable saws can be great, the bigger (even 4x6) is better.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
He even didn't get that there are 2 pulleys available, a 1`.5 inch and a 3" for two speeds. His SFPM for the 3" should be about (14*pi*1700)/(3 * 12) or just over 2000 SFPM On the smaller pulley, just over 1000 SFPM

[edit: I made 2 mistakes and forgot about the master pulley size: it is usually 10"

so the revised SFPM for that saw should be 14/10 of 2000 sfpm or 2800 SFPM, approx.

(not too shabby, but he should have clarified)

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Did a quick test cut with the saw in the stand. Very impressed, maybe 20 seconds to cut through 1/2" x1" stock. Very square cut to boot.

I have not owned a band saw till recently. Always used a hacksaw or chop saw or oxy-acetylene or paid someone to cut it for me.

When @thestelster got his King and everyone chimed in about how much better that was than a hacksaw, I started looking. I would have been happy with almost anything but managed to score one the same as his.

I'm ever so glad I did. It's missing a few parts but nothing I can't make. I love how square and how fast it is.

Brian26

Premium Member
I just replaced a stolen 6.5" Milwaukee cordless circular saw with their 5 3/8" steel-cutting model. Also bought a wood-cutting blade for it - there are now a few for sale on Amazon. Watched a video of this new saw easily cutting through 3/8" steel plate.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just replaced a stolen 6.5" Milwaukee cordless circular saw with their 5 3/8" steel-cutting model. Also bought a wood-cutting blade for it - there are now a few for sale on Amazon. Watched a video of this new saw easily cutting through 3/8" steel plate.

Model number or link?

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Milwaukee cordless circular saw with their 5 3/8" steel-cutting model.
It’s been disappointing for me to see tools go mostly cordless. I always feel bad when the battery goes and a perfectly good tool goes in the garbage. Mind you, battery voltage and form factor seems to have become more standardized in the last few years, so it’s just the battery I‘ll be throwing into the garbage.

Except for my cordless drill and driver I still prefer corded for that reason. It would be a different story if I was a contractor going from site to site of course.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Batteries can be repaired, or recelled. I love my battery tools, especially the angle grinder, and am slowly switching all of my frequently used light/med duty stuff over as deals present themselves. There are corded tools I won't give up, like my big 1/2 drill, Milwaukee worm drive saw, and bigger grinders, but all the lighter duty stuff is cordless all the way. I rarely drag extension cords out for projects anymore.

As the the original topic, I'm a big fan of my porta band. It's probably one of my favourite tools. I don't think I'd have much use for a dedicated vertical metal saw, or a dual duty one. Space is pretty tight. I have a 14" taiwan delta wood saw in the basement with the cheesy trunions (I machined replacements for) that serves wood duty, barely. A porta band, horizontal 7x12, jig saw and plasma for metal cutting. A good jig saw with appropriate blades is often overlooked as a viable metalworking tool, but I've probably cut more metal with mine than wood over the years.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I really like my Milwaukee Porta Band (corded of course…LOL).

I’m thinking of adding a SWAG table when I have a weak moment.