• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Using aluminum for MT2 die holder?

va2fsq

Hi,
I would like to build a die holder for my mini lathe. All of the plans I see use steel for the MT2 part. Can I use aluminum instead? Any issues with it?
Thanks, Tom

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
An MT2 arbor costs $6-$10 from BB, less from Amazon. Rather than putz around turning the taper, adapt one to your holder. Other than that, I don't see any reason why aluminum wouldn't work as long as the taper fit was such that no slipping could occur.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you are making one for the Morse taper I think aluminum has a tendency to gall/sieze up in steel. I did however make an aluminum one that fits over the shaft of the tailstock. I can get a picture of it if you wish

va2fsq

I want to do this as a learning experience.
As to seizing, you are right. I guess I will need to wait. Don't think there are cross border shipping at this time.
Tom

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I want to do this as a learning experience.
As to seizing, you are right. I guess I will need to wait. Don't think there are cross border shipping at this time.
Tom

I don’t believe there are restrictions on cross-border shipping at this point.

Now the exchange rate might make you think twice about it [emoji54]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Another reason for buying: Aluminum is always coated in aluminum oxide, which is abrasive. So in the long-long term, it will slightly wear your taper faster than normal use.

So you might roast me for this. Busy bee will sell you a MT2 1' stub arbor (B460)for $14.99. From that you can make a die holder easily. Or you can wait on Banggood or alibaba or amazon. Depends on how much of a rush you are in.