Using aluminum for MT2 die holder?

va2fsq

Hi,
I would like to build a die holder for my mini lathe. All of the plans I see use steel for the MT2 part. Can I use aluminum instead? Any issues with it?
Thanks, Tom

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
An MT2 arbor costs $6-$10 from BB, less from Amazon. Rather than putz around turning the taper, adapt one to your holder. Other than that, I don't see any reason why aluminum wouldn't work as long as the taper fit was such that no slipping could occur.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you are making one for the Morse taper I think aluminum has a tendency to gall/sieze up in steel. I did however make an aluminum one that fits over the shaft of the tailstock. I can get a picture of it if you wish

va2fsq

I want to do this as a learning experience.
As to seizing, you are right. I guess I will need to wait. Don't think there are cross border shipping at this time.
Tom

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I want to do this as a learning experience.
As to seizing, you are right. I guess I will need to wait. Don't think there are cross border shipping at this time.
Tom

I don’t believe there are restrictions on cross-border shipping at this point.

Now the exchange rate might make you think twice about it [emoji54]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Another reason for buying: Aluminum is always coated in aluminum oxide, which is abrasive. So in the long-long term, it will slightly wear your taper faster than normal use.

So you might roast me for this. Busy bee will sell you a MT2 1' stub arbor (B460)for $14.99. From that you can make a die holder easily. Or you can wait on Banggood or alibaba or amazon. Depends on how much of a rush you are in.