Tips/Techniques Unique uses for ball bearings

Tips/Techniques

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The cross section drawing shows a view but for me it raises more questions. Why do the small steel balls roll? And why do the balls go around underneath the T shaped part in the middle? And what is the purpose of the T shaped part? These ball transfer units are strange.

View attachment 41801
The small balls support the larger one. As the large one rotates against the work the smaller ones roll so there isn’t any sliding motion. I think the T shaped piece will have a hole through the center for the balls to travel through. That way they can continuously roll along their path

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Picture the drawing rotating. The socket the large ball fits in is a semi-circle. The tee-shaped piece is actually mushroom-shaped. The bottom of the socket gets filled with a layer of the smaller balls, the mushroom-shaped anvil gets put in, then another layer of small balls. This allows the larger ball to rotate in any direction.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Picture the drawing rotating. The socket the large ball fits in is a semi-circle. The tee-shaped piece is actually mushroom-shaped. The bottom of the socket gets filled with a layer of the smaller balls, the mushroom-shaped anvil gets put in, then another layer of small balls. This allows the larger ball to rotate in any direction.
I am picturing the balls traveling in a loop like in a ball nut. That would only allow for 1 axis of rotation though. It’s the only way I can picture it that doesn’t have the small balls piling up against the stem of the T. I only have experience with the ones used for supporting the outfeed of a table saw. They are far from precision so in them I think the small balls just rattle around loosely.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Funny I was up at 5 like most days, in the shop by 5:30 still learning my new mill but had this whittled up before cloudrise this morning.
Its a mini one and not sure where I am going with it from here probably welding one of the nuts on and use 2 balls or maybe make something up with a taper.

IMG_5886.JPG

IMG_5885.JPG

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Here’s a better picture. The ball can rotate in any direction.

View attachment 43352

from the same site there is picture of the 'table' part 7 from above.
service_kits-table.webp

In 2 dimensions this makes some sense to me..sort of... The balls go up and around this table lip and down and then apparently back up around the far side. But in 3 dimensions why does it not just jam up? too few balls and there would be gaps and it would not support the large bearing. too many and it would jam? I'd like to see a video of this in motion.