• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Ultrasonic cleaner fluid suggestions

I do that with the small stuff too but the ones I do most often are Rochester Quadrajet carbs that are about 9 inches square and 5 tall. I reuse the solution many times and strain it each time to get the chunks out.

Here's a dirty one and a finished one.

View attachment 52825View attachment 52827
Have you ever used Pinesol to clean carbs? I've read that it works well but haven't tried it.

I bought my unit from a company near you called Crystal Electronics! Knowing my application purpose they sent four different concentrates to test as I mostly use mine for cleaning aluminum parts prior to anodizing. As you are probably aware the frequencies used in the cheaper units are usually lower which can be a bear dealing with aluminum and surface cavitation, combine with the wrong chemistry can reek havoc with it. So the best concentrate that worked for me also happens to work well for other substrates that they carry called "Crystal Clear Concentrate". It's very effective and doesn't really stink the place up!

Have you ever used Pinesol to clean carbs? I've read that it works well but haven't tried it.
No I haven't but it's on the short list of relatively inexpensive ones to try. I was hoping someone else had used it on cast alloy carb bodies and could post results regarding discoloration. I've been relatively satisfied with the Berrymans Chem Dip but my supply is running low and I'm hoping to find a cheaper solution.

I bought my unit from a company near you called Crystal Electronics! Knowing my application purpose they sent four different concentrates to test as I mostly use mine for cleaning aluminum parts prior to anodizing. As you are probably aware the frequencies used in the cheaper units are usually lower which can be a bear dealing with aluminum and surface cavitation, combine with the wrong chemistry can reek havoc with it. So the best concentrate that worked for me also happens to work well for other substrates that they carry called "Crystal Clear Concentrate". It's very effective and doesn't really stink the place up!
I wasn't aware there were different frequencies used. I just recently jumped on the ultrasonic bandwagon and bought a cheap 15 liter Creworks brand unit from Amazon. I have been using the Berrymans product for years without an ultrasonic cleaner but soaking time required is at least 24 hours for most carbs. The cheap Creworks unit can heat the solution up to 80 degrees C (I have been using 50 degrees C) and that seems to speed up the process. I'm going to check out Crystal Electronics website. Thanks for posting that info.

Yikes, I tried to order a 1 gallon jug of the Crystal Clear Heavy Duty cleaning solution from Crystal Electronics. The solutions is $75 which is reasonable if it does the job but the shipping quote to Alberta is $170. It has to be shipped as hazmat.

I wasn't aware there were different frequencies used. I just recently jumped on the ultrasonic bandwagon and bought a cheap 15 liter Creworks brand unit from Amazon. I have been using the Berrymans product for years without an ultrasonic cleaner but soaking time required is at least 24 hours for most carbs. The cheap Creworks unit can heat the solution up to 80 degrees C (I have been using 50 degrees C) and that seems to speed up the process. I'm going to check out Crystal Electronics website. Thanks for posting that info.
These are similar to the units we had at my one job. We were going to buy a more commercial unit but there was a big wait time, during covid. So we bought several units off amazon, they basically all look the same. Used daily for months and they worked really well. None of em died or had any issues. We used simple green in them to clean bearing assemblies for mast lift systems, engine components and such. They worked good and the heating option does help to get rid of the grease and grime. One hint is to use hot water in them as hot as you can get from the tap, helps shorten the time it takes for the cleaner to heat up.

Like ChazzC, I also put my cleaning solution in a ziplok bag or a plastic cup with DIY foam floating ring. It's important your that your parts don't sink and rub on the bottom of the US tank. If they are heavy enough they will wear the bottom of the tank. Don't ask me how I know.
I usually add a few drop of dish soap in the US water tank it break the surface tension, you can actually hear and see the sonification difference in the tank and the parts container. I use a LPS liquid precision cleaner which I recycled from my old job. It claims " Alkaline formula inhibits flash rusting" I am almost out of the LPS, so I will definitely try the pinesol trick.

Back