• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tools you waited too long to acquire

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Now that's the second blue couch I've seen pop up here!

Looks like @Susquatch got the optional spy backing.
Is Wallymart having a rip and scratch sale on these, or a possible "mass" close out sale ?
The Blue's are so 70's thou...

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Lisle Exhaust Hanger Pliers...I was like, no way I'm spending $35 (at the time) on a pair of pressed/stamped hacky looking pliers. Turns out, they are worth every penny if you do as much as one exhaust system swap.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Lisle Exhaust Hanger Pliers...I was like, no way I'm spending $35 (at the time) on a pair of pressed/stamped hacky looking pliers. Turns out, they are worth every penny if you do as much as one exhaust system swap.
Brake spring pliers are the same. Cheesy stamped pliers that are seldom used (even less so nowadays) they are good for nothing else, but when you need them they sure are the right tool.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Now that's the second blue couch I've seen pop up here!

Looks like @Susquatch got the optional spy backing.
Is Wallymart having a rip and scratch sale on these, or a possible "mass" close out sale ?
The Blue's are so 70's thou...
Only the third time I ever used it. But a few others use it all the time.

I like it to hide behind it when the other guy starts throws stuff at me after some nasty rude comment of mine. Don't really care what color the couch/wall/truck/fence is. Could even be that fecal orange colour @YotaBota likes.......

FCA2C157-F60E-4354-9856-4445AF364CD2.gif

JustaDB

Ultra Member
For 33 years I had been using a 4-position tool post, but until the advice from @Susquatch , I went to a QCTP. What an time saver!! I went with a Multifix system, which cost me a pretty penny, but I don't regret it for one second.
I looked hard at a Multifix system before I went w/ my AXA. Cost was definitely the deciding factor. One always wonders if one is missing out, however...

Bandit

Super User
Yes, brake spring pliers, cordless tools, recipercating saw, the hot dam when splitting a beef, drill press, the old Lee hand loaders, newer presses since. Really, most all the tools I've ever bought since I was 13. Lathe, engine hoist, wife pestered me about a side x side some years ago. Made a big difference on the farm for me/us, a blade on it and a dump box, she would plow snow while I was at work. Or buzz out and drop off couple bales for the critters. Turn hay, rake fields and so on, yes, pick rocks.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Only the third time I ever used it. But a few others use it all the time.

I like it to hide behind it when the other guy starts throws stuff at me after some nasty rude comment of mine. Don't really care what color the couch/wall/truck/fence is. Could even be that fecal orange colour @YotaBota likes.......

View attachment 33764
Allis Chalmers made pretty darn good orange tractors, watched a D21 absolutely walk the dog at a pull couple years ago. Those red n white internationals always seem to do well too

JD tractors always look so shiny because they never make it to the fields :p

(I don’t know where the couch is but I’m ducking)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes, brake spring pliers, cordless tools, recipercating saw, the hot dam when splitting a beef, drill press, the old Lee hand loaders, newer presses since. Really, most all the tools I've ever bought since I was 13. Lathe, engine hoist, wife pestered me about a side x side some years ago. Made a big difference on the farm for me/us, a blade on it and a dump box, she would plow snow while I was at work. Or buzz out and drop off couple bales for the critters. Turn hay, rake fields and so on, yes, pick rocks.

Your life sound a lot like mine.

Still have my Lee loader stuff and still use it for certain things. Got an Rcbs Roclchucker 25yrs ago and then sold it 15 years ago to get a Redding Boss.

Wife and kids gripped for years about wanting an ATV. I finally gave in and got one with a dump box. Best toy I ever got the wife. She gave up her old exercise routines and does squats with Rock's now.

Oh yes, pick rocks!

These are a few of the big girls I pulled out of the field.

20230419_134409.jpg

These are my "select" rocks to make an outdoor chimney stove and maybe a wall in the basement.

20230419_134443.jpg

And this is what is now being rebuilt from a 50x15 ft pile about 8ft high that I traded a landscaping guy for topsoil for a few dead spots in my farm fields. It's our main drop-off pile. You can see last year's rocks on top. It will grow that much again over the next year.

20230419_134617.jpg

There are a few more piles out back but my paws stick in the mud so I ain't going back there.

Lots and lots of rocks to throw at @Chicken lights .

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I remember round rocks from my prairie days. Picked sooo many from fields. Don't miss it!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I have a few piles like that around my place. Can't help but think about the poor souls that cleared and settled this land that made all those piles by hand, only for the future inhabitants to reforest it :(.

The SXS with a dump box (yamaha viking) was a great buy too. Handy around the farm, but also fast enough to have some fun out on the trails, and take north on a few back lake adventures. ATV's have their pluses, but the SxS is a lot handier for property maintenance. Just wish it had a limited slip, or selectable diff lock, as it tears the hell out of the grass.

Any tool that helps you increase your output is a good one. We need them all :D.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
ATV's have their pluses, but the SxS is a lot handier for property maintenance. Just wish it had a limited slip, or selectable diff lock, as it tears the hell out of the grass.

Mine is a Camo Kubota side by side diesel 4x4 with full lock and rear diff lock and a dump box. No fecal orange ugliness.

With a diesel you aren't gunna rip up any grass but it's awesome if you hit bad traction or have to pull a big empty grain Wagon around a bit. (eg change direction on a head land).

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I've thought about selling mine and getting a Kubota with a cab a few times. Or a toolcat.....The Kubotas are just too slow though. We live on the edge of the Ganaraska forest, so it's nice every once in a while to pile the kids in and go for a trail ride. The viking is a pretty good blend of utility and recreation.

I'd like to build a cab, and put a plow on mine. Been saying that for a few years, but now that the Jeep is no more, it may happen this year.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So, nobody has posted about a lathe DRO. Is it not that important, or maybe an accessory once you have everything else?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So, nobody has posted about a lathe DRO. Is it not that important, or maybe an accessory once you have everything else?
Good point! Why did I overlook that????? YES YES YES.

Maybe I didn't include it because my first DRO is just an Igaging set (and I still like) on my lathe and didn't seem like that big of an item for some folk even tho it was a game changer for me. Now with my mill I got a "real" dro and I did not wait long for that as I decided as soon as I bought the mill that I would install a dro.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I don't have one yet, so I can't really wish I had it sooner can I?

I don't see how a DRO could ever equal the band saws that you and I got last year though..... I mean it's cool to read a DRO instead of a dial, but you and I have hacked our way through quite literally thousands of feet of steel in our lifetimes with a plain old hack saw. That band saw was heaven. I still can't believe I lived 76 years without one.

But.... I guess we will see how I feel after I get the DRO installed on the Lathe.