• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION
Hi Everyone,

I don't post very much but here goes. I am new to the metal lathe so I am trying to absorb as much information as possible from you guys. I have a small Craftex /BusyBee metal lathe model Craftex B2227L and, would like to mount a tool-post grinder (LittleMachineShop.com model # Part Number: 4670), that I have. I don't really want to start drilling extra holes on the lathe slide. Is there any way to mount this particular grinder to my lathe? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time. Kevin

Attachments

• b77 busybee lathe.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • grinder toolpost.jpg
    grinder toolpost.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 15

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
it looks awfully big to mount on that small a lathe...

I think a rear mount is the only viable option. On my first lathe I made a very solid U shaped piece of steel that straddled the entire cross slide, and then bolted accessories to that. It was 'behind the work' but you could use a similar approach. At least all the forces would be normal to the cross slide, and not cantilevered in any way.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Make a plate that fits your top slide tool post attaching bolt pattern and then mount the grinder to that.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Perhaps. I was concerned about its 12 lbs weight. most small lathes cannot take such loads on their compound or cross slide without twisting. Just my worry.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Maybe the first question to ask is what are you intending to accomplish? Do you have some sample projects in mind or materials or finish/tolerance type expectations? I don't want to sour you prematurely but I've seen some high hopes dashed on other (model engineering) forums. Sometimes it was hoping for tolerances their lathe setup/rigidity could not achieve. Some was related to the quality of the TPG itself (bearings & motor & belt vibration & ...). Sometimes the TPG size just hogs a lot of the useable real estate on a small lathe that can limit use to small parts.