• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop Tool Box Tour

Shop

BMW Rider

Super User
I still own a dwell meter...
I'm another who still has one, mine is a Snap-On tach/dwell meter that was originally my Dad's, but I'm old enough to have used it lots too (though not in many years). Only way you could set the gap on the old Chevy point ignition systems. It was always like reaching into an alligators mouth trying to get the allen key in the little window in the cap without getting zapped by the leaky plug wires.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Seen my Dad with his feeler gauges out many times over the years with point style distributers.
Luckily, I've been spoiled with HEI distributers with a dial back timing light since the first vehicle I purchased was a 1976 .
Cool to see those tools are still around in 2022.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I like your tool box organization. A few notables that I plan to copy. You put your swivel sockets with your Allen heads and what looks like crowfoot pipe fitting wrenches. I dunno if one of my smaller drawers is big enough for that but it makes more sense to me than mixing stuff like that together like I do now.

You don't seem to have a lot of machining tools, but I think we all know that will change as time passes. I made a decision to acquire a few more tool chests to deal with that issue. Although I'm still not where I'd like to be, I bought a new long tool box that I put opposite my lathe to store lathe tools and my metrology stuff. I also reconditioned and painted an old Toolbox my neighbour gave me to hold my mill tooling. That meant I could just leave all my mechanics tools in one cabinet and not mix in any machine tools. I also have a 4th cabinet I bought at an auction that has odds and sods in it. Basically, it's a disorganized mess. I much prefer organized chaos over a disorganized mess. I don't like total zoos and jumbled up messes that you can't find anything in - which is exactly what that 4th cabinet looks like. I need to dump it out and start sorting it into the kind of organized chaos that works so well for me.

My advice is to consider starting now to look for another tool chest to hold your machining tools instead of constantly fighting to maintain both in one cabinet.

I freely confess that I envy guys like @Chicken lights and @SomeGuy who are so well organized with showcase tool drawers, but my mind is just not built that way. I think I've already mentioned on another thread that I visited the Steelcase R&D center 20 years ago or so where their workplace efficiency psychologist told me that there are basically two kinds of people - pilers and filers. Their research showed quite conclusively that trying to change either one into the other will destroy their productivity, efficiency, and creativity to the detriment of the company. They also showed that companies who tried to filter their employee base to only employ one or the other also failed in short order. A healthy competitive company needs a balance of both. Well designed office furniture appreciates this difference and can be structured to empower both kinds of organizational personalities and still leave the larger office looking great.

So I am a piler. I'm not gunna try to be a filer no matter how much I might envy how drop dead gorgeous it looks. To me, functionality and comfort trumps appearance. Instead, I take the view that both kinds are equally productive and creative and that neither one is intrinsicly better than the other. They are just different. As Maurice Chevalier was so fond of saying, "Vive la difference" !
You aren’t “wrong” if what works for you, works for you

My style works for me, because I can notice missing tools easily, I can grab the tools I want quickly and it’s efficient to use the tool box contents

Yes, I know as a farmer you fix a lot of junk, but as a reloader you’d be aghast at someone “guessing” at case length

We all have a comfort zone in which tools are in the “close enough” category, and some that fall into the “has to be dead nuts on”

I’m not implying you own junk (I do), I’m not implying your reloading style is better (it is), I’m not saying farmers run junk equipment that needs bubble gum to fix (could be true, likely not). We all have different needs and wants for tools

This is my style, that I’ve evolved to, and will likely evolve again. My reloading skills are new, will likely see many evolutions over the next few years, as just as only the last 6 months have seen

And that’s my late night Saturday musings after shooting all day

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You aren’t “wrong” if what works for you, works for you

My style works for me, because I can notice missing tools easily, I can grab the tools I want quickly and it’s efficient to use the tool box contents

Yes, I know as a farmer you fix a lot of junk, but as a reloader you’d be aghast at someone “guessing” at case length

We all have a comfort zone in which tools are in the “close enough” category, and some that fall into the “has to be dead nuts on”

I’m not implying you own junk (I do), I’m not implying your reloading style is better (it is), I’m not saying farmers run junk equipment that needs bubble gum to fix (could be true, likely not). We all have different needs and wants for tools

This is my style, that I’ve evolved to, and will likely evolve again. My reloading skills are new, will likely see many evolutions over the next few years, as just as only the last 6 months have seen

And that’s my late night Saturday musings after shooting all day

All pretty much "BANG" on too!

You have been here so you know what I deal with first hand.

I sure hope you didn't take offense to what I said earlier. I really do envy your organization. It just wouldn't work for me though. Heaven forbid that my bride ever gets at my tool drawers. They would look just like yours except that each tool would be individually wrapped with different colour ribbons......:oops:

Just so you know, bubble gum is useless for farm equipment. The mice eat it, and then the plow and the loader falls off..... We use baler twine instead..... LOL! ;)

, here's the run down on my service bag:

You've really got me thinking now. This is all interesting stuff. Organizing a large collection of tools is not a simple matter in my experience. It takes considerable thought. and for me is an ongoing challenge and struggle. It is probably to some extant an individual thing and as the tool collection grows it is also changing and evolving. Not a final destination that is ever arrived at but a never ending journey.

One of the issues that I struggle with is precisely this point about needing some tools outside of the shop sometimes as well as in the shop. It's nice to have a collection of tools ready to go if for example when a new machine is acquired and needs to be disassembled at a distant location. Even if I am doing many nearby jobs like fixing a lawn mower I tend to do it outside of the shop. This leads to confusion on my part as to how best to organize everything or to perhaps even have duplicate sets of tools for outside vs inside jobs.

Personally I don't do lots of automotive type stuff as some of you guys probably do so my collection of various types of wrenches is not as extensive. My large metal cabinets are full of machinists things rather than things like wrenches and screwdrivers. Lots of my bigger and heavier tools like hammers, saws, crowbars etc. are hung on a wall where they are easily seen, found, and not taking precious space in a drawer. I keep a collection of my most commonly used tools screwdrivers, vice grips etc. stuck on magnets to the side of a metal cabinet just inside my shop door. That way for most small jobs whether in the house or in the shop I know where to immediately grab what I need.

I freely confess that I envy guys like @Chicken lights and @SomeGuy who are so well organized with showcase tool drawers, but my mind is just not built that way. I think I've already mentioned on another thread that I visited the Steelcase R&D center 20 years ago or so where their workplace efficiency psychologist told me that there are basically two kinds of people - pilers and filers. Their research showed quite conclusively that trying to change either one into the other will destroy their productivity, efficiency, and creativity to the detriment of the company. They also showed that companies who tried to filter their employee base to only employ one or the other also failed in short order. A healthy competitive company needs a balance of both. Well designed office furniture appreciates this difference and can be structured to empower both kinds of organizational personalities and still leave the larger office looking great.

So I am a piler. I'm not gunna try to be a filer no matter how much I might envy how drop dead gorgeous it looks. To me, functionality and comfort trumps appearance. Instead, I take the view that both kinds are equally productive and creative and that neither one is intrinsicly better than the other. They are just different. As Maurice Chevalier was so fond of saying, "Vive la difference" !

I find this a very interesting perspective. My own experience I think involves some additional complicating twists. When I was younger I had an almost photographic memory so that I could picture in my mind where exactly in the tangled pile any given tool was located. Perhaps the classic piler persona. However as I grew older I acquired a much larger collection of tools, my memory began to fade and I found it increasingly important to organize. The straw that broke the camels back was when I spent half a day looking for tools I knew I had somewhere. Tools that I needed for just a simple quick job. I find it incredibly annoying when I can't find tools I know I have somewhere. So it seems I am evolving into a filer persona now.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Not a final destination that is ever arrived at but a never ending journey.

This is my favorite outlook on life itself. It's how I try hard to look at everything from a drive to London to a walk in the yard. I don't always succeed, but it's always on my mind. Why waste this moment looking forward to the next one? Every moment is a moment that will never come again.

This leads to confusion on my part as to how best to organize everything or to perhaps even have duplicate sets of tools for outside vs inside jobs.

Yes, I struggle with this one too. For some things, I think it's better to just give in and have duplicates that are dedicated to just one thing and nothing else.

For example:

Travel tools for travel trailer.
Tool kit for the truck.
Tools for the shooting range.

And of course a boat kit with a prop wrench, spare cotter pins, pliers, and spark plug wrench, and spare spark plugs.

In these cases, I usually (but not always) buy the cheapest tools I can find. It's just too inconvenient and time consuming to assemble a kit on the fly.

Strangely, I never put together a tool kit for the tractor. But I do have a small number of tools that go with each impliment. For example a plastic tub with pins, spare shear bolts, shear bolt wrenches, etc for my plow, my ditcher, my planter, my disks, etc.

In some ways, perhaps these bins and tool kits might give others a window into my organized chaos approach to such things. There is certainly no organization in the bin for anything. But the existence of the bin is organization itself. And I say no organization, but that isn't strictly true - some bins have holes drilled in them to accomodate and retain pins and tools that are too long for the bin.

I should probably have a tool kit for the tractor and a general purpose tool kit for off-site repair jobs, emergencies, etc. But I don't. Something to think about I guess.....

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well @SomeGuy , I actually watched another of your videos. At a total of 3 of your videos now, I think this makes you my most popular YouTube author..... But before you get a fat head over it, that's probably just cuz you are a forum member! LOL!

Nah, it's cuz I really like the idea of a GP Tool Kit I can just grab and go. Let's just say that you fully captured my curiosity.

As probably a great example of the guy who gets all those calls for help of one kind or another, I think I can provide some decent comments. Of course, everyone is different but these are mine:

No tool kit is complete without a collection of blood stains... JK! But seriously, your bandage is way too small to be useful. Any cut that small I just let bleed till it stops. A dirty shop rag is way more useful. :oops: ok, I guess I should try harder to be serious. How about a small first aid kit? Especially needle and thread..... Damn, I just can't help it! Ok, let's try again, various bandage sizes, Tylenol, small scissors, tweezers, small magnifying glass (useful for other things too), gauze, disinfectant, instant ice packs, surgical tape, etc

Your screwdriver assortment blew me away. Wira? Seriously? Most of it us can't afford Wira in our primary tool set let alone a grab and go bag! And such a full collection? You prolly have more money tied up in those Wira Screwdrivers than I'd spend on the entire kit! LOL!

Why not a regular 1/4 inch hex screwdriver - Both large and stubby and one strip of standard hex bits? NOT one of those big clumsy units, just a regular screwdriver style. I know, I get the advantages of standard full size screwdrivers. But no way am I gunna take up that much space (in two places no less!) for screw drivers! I'd rather use that space for a 12V milwaukee driver drill (that will take the hex bits above) a spare battery, and a small set of common drill bits (1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8). You can even get the drill bits above in hex shanks.

The screw assortment is way too organized and wasteful. I'd rather see various drywall sizes in one compartment, various lengths of #6,8,10,1/8,1/4 with washers and nuts in another compartment, a few electrical #6 and #8s (see my other thread on #8 screws LOL! ) and marrs in another, some assorted wood screws in another, some wiring butt joints and connectors, some shrink wrap tubing, roll of electrical tape, etc. If you really anticipate that you will need that many of a particular size of fastener as fills the compartments of that box of yours, I'd be throwing a special box of those particular screws (whatever they are) in the bag for that particular job or sending my victim to crappy tire.

For wrenches, I'd rather have one decent adjustable Knipex wrench than all those vice-grips and pliers. If you really need a vice grip for those times when only a vice grip will work, then just one will do. If you really need more, grab em for that job, but more than one wouldn't live full time in my bag. For the adjustable wrench I really like those princess extra wide opening ones. They are conveniently marked with the size - metric on one side imperial on the other. I like these WAY better than the standard adjustable wrench. They come in different sizes. I'd have the medium sized one in my bag.
Screenshot_20221020_074938.jpg

The most useful plier is a line man's plier - multi functional. But a small needle nose and a small diagonal cutting plier would be useful too. Bottom line is no way I would have all those pliers in there.

Another very useful tool is a good wire stripper.

Yet another valuable tool is a small butane torch - perhaps one with an add-on soldering tip for wire joints not electronics, but mainly for use with shrink tubing.

As you can probably tell, my kit would have a stronger emphasis on electrical because that's generally what I find others need the most help with. But for those handymen who have no electrical skills it's prolly better not to have that stuff in the bag at all so they don't get tempted to do what they shouldn't do.

I sorta like the socket set and socket wrench, but then again I don't. I think I'd prefer to have a complete set of combination wrenches and sockets (1/4 & 3/8) in a separate plastic case that I grab as needed for the job and carry in my other hand. I like the "Stanley Black Oxide" tool sets because they can be purchased on sale at a great price, are reasonable quality, and because others don't usually have them so they don't grow legs as easily. For those times when you get caught with your pants down with no sockets, the wide jaw combination wrench will work albeit not optimally. Basically, I'd prefer to use the spade your socket set consumes more effectively. The set you have there takes up a lot of room but isn't nearly big enough.

Last, but not least, I like the flashlight, but something with a magnetic base and a swivel head would be more useful - perhaps also with a focussed beam and wide beam.

That's all I can think of for now. But I'll come back and add to my thoughts if I missed anything.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Bit of an aside, but my dad had an uncanny ability to gather up all the necessary tools for a particular job. My family owned a feed mill and there was always something that needed maintenance or repairs. When I was a teenager, I was drafted to help my dad on Saturday mornings doing these jobs. Lots of them were at the top of the mill--the equivalent of about 10 stories up. Via stairs. Only. Getting up there and then discovering that you needed another tool was a significant pain in the legs! Carrying too many tools was also a pain. Almost always, though, he had exactly what was needed and basically nothing extra. We used 5 gallon buckets to carry the tools and parts.

Unfortunately, that skill didn't rub off on me. Almost any job requires me to make multiple trips to get yet another tool!

Craig

mikoyan31

Stewie
@Susquatch I hear what you're saying about cheap tools for the go-bag, but here's a differing opinion. In my experience cheap tools are a pain, sometimes literally, to use. Slipping wrenches, barked knuckles, broken screwdriver tips, rounded nuts and bolts, stripped out screw heads....

- My on board tool kit for my motorcycle has the best wrenches I can find for the space and weight, most of them German from of all things Mercedes tool kits. Fit exceedingly well, combinations make sense (10mm on one end, 12mm on the other instead of a useless 11mm) and are very high quality
- I've finally moved my mobile tool box that lives behind the seat of the pickup to mostly Gray and Craftsman for wrenches, ratchets and sockets, Fuller (when I can find them) and Craftsman for screwdrivers.
- I work in IT, and after dealing with cheap crap from my various employers over the years, I invested in my own cable crimper, punch down tool, jacket stripper, a nice utility knife, etc.
- I keep my cheap tools, aka PowerFist or Jobmate or some strange no-name in a box I grab when I help a buddy out on his boat. There is nothing more distinctive then the *plonk* sound an expensive ratchet makes going into the drink, and in salt water, well, I'm not going down 10-20 feet looking for it. The cheap tools make the same sound but it doesn't hurt so much. Not that I do that much any more since I relocated further inland.

My experience, when you need a tool from your go-bag, the last thing you probably want to be doing is working around limitations or arguing with, or worse outright breaking the only tool you have to fix what you need.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Well @SomeGuy , I actually watched another of your videos. At a total of 3 of your videos now, I think this makes you my most popular YouTube author..... But before you get a fat head over it, that's probably just cuz you are a forum member! LOL!

Nah, it's cuz I really like the idea of a GP Tool Kit I can just grab and go. Let's just say that you fully captured my curiosity.

As probably a great example of the guy who gets all those calls for help of one kind or another, I think I can provide some decent comments. Of course, everyone is different but these are mine:

No tool kit is complete without a collection of blood stains... JK! But seriously, your bandage is way too small to be useful. Any cut that small I just let bleed till it stops. A dirty shop rag is way more useful. :oops: ok, I guess I should try harder to be serious. How about a small first aid kit? Especially needle and thread..... Damn, I just can't help it! Ok, let's try again, various bandage sizes, Tylenol, small scissors, tweezers, small magnifying glass (useful for other things too), gauze, disinfectant, instant ice packs, surgical tape, etc

Your screwdriver assortment blew me away. Wira? Seriously? Most of it us can't afford Wira in our primary tool set let alone a grab and go bag! And such a full collection? You prolly have more money tied up in those Wira Screwdrivers than I'd spend on the entire kit! LOL!

Why not a regular 1/4 inch hex screwdriver - Both large and stubby and one strip of standard hex bits? NOT one of those big clumsy units, just a regular screwdriver style. I know, I get the advantages of standard full size screwdrivers. But no way am I gunna take up that much space (in two places no less!) for screw drivers! I'd rather use that space for a 12V milwaukee driver drill (that will take the hex bits above) a spare battery, and a small set of common drill bits (1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8). You can even get the drill bits above in hex shanks.

The screw assortment is way too organized and wasteful. I'd rather see various drywall sizes in one compartment, various lengths of #6,8,10,1/8,1/4 with washers and nuts in another compartment, a few electrical #6 and #8s (see my other thread on #8 screws LOL! ) and marrs in another, some assorted wood screws in another, some wiring butt joints and connectors, some shrink wrap tubing, roll of electrical tape, etc. If you really anticipate that you will need that many of a particular size of fastener as fills the compartments of that box of yours, I'd be throwing a special box of those particular screws (whatever they are) in the bag for that particular job or sending my victim to crappy tire.

For wrenches, I'd rather have one decent adjustable Knipex wrench than all those vice-grips and pliers. If you really need a vice grip for those times when only a vice grip will work, then just one will do. If you really need more, grab em for that job, but more than one wouldn't live full time in my bag. For the adjustable wrench I really like those princess extra wide opening ones. They are conveniently marked with the size - metric on one side imperial on the other. I like these WAY better than the standard adjustable wrench. They come in different sizes. I'd have the medium sized one in my bag.
View attachment 27252

The most useful plier is a line man's plier - multi functional. But a small needle nose and a small diagonal cutting plier would be useful too. Bottom line is no way I would have all those pliers in there.

Yet another valuable tool is a small butane torch - perhaps one with an add-on soldering tip for wire joints not electronics, but mainly for use with shrink tubing.

As you can probably tell, my kit would have a stronger emphasis on electrical because that's generally what I find others need the most help with. But for those handymen who have no electrical skills it's prolly better not to have that stuff in the bag at all so they don't get tempted to do what they shouldn't do.

I sorta like the socket set and socket wrench, but then again I don't. I think I'd prefer to have a complete set of combination wrenches and sockets (1/4 & 3/8) in a separate plastic case that I grab as needed for the job and carry in my other hand. I like the "Stanley Black Oxide" tool sets because they can be purchased on sale at a great price, are reasonable quality, and because others don't usually have them so they don't grow legs as easily. For those times when you get caught with your pants down with no sockets, the wide jaw combination wrench will work albeit not optimally. Basically, I'd prefer to use the spade your socket set consumes more effectively. The set you have there takes up a lot of room but isn't nearly big enough.

Last, but not least, I like the flashlight, but something with a magnetic base and a swivel head would be more useful - perhaps also with a focussed beam and wide beam.

That's all I can think of for now. But I'll come back and add to my thoughts if I missed anything.
08200B86-0A2C-4D52-B3C0-59C68743B1E2.jpeg That’s my primary bit set, for on the truck. I do have a full size ratcheting screwdriver and a full screwdriver set, but this is usually what I grab first. Really nice for dash screws.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Bit of an aside, but my dad had an uncanny ability to gather up all the necessary tools for a particular job. My family owned a feed mill and there was always something that needed maintenance or repairs. When I was a teenager, I was drafted to help my dad on Saturday mornings doing these jobs. Lots of them were at the top of the mill--the equivalent of about 10 stories up. Via stairs. Only. Getting up there and then discovering that you needed another tool was a significant pain in the legs! Carrying too many tools was also a pain. Almost always, though, he had exactly what was needed and basically nothing extra. We used 5 gallon buckets to carry the tools and parts.

Unfortunately, that skill didn't rub off on me. Almost any job requires me to make multiple trips to get yet another tool!

Craig
Chicken can certainly relate to this....When i was still in the construction trucking industry there was a mobile mechanic from a distant town that was the same as your dad. It was worth it to pay his mileage because we didnt have to pay him $50 hr to make multiple trips from under our trucks to his mobile truck for tools every 5 minutes....the man knew what tools he would need when we told him the job we wanted him to do while under the truck and he grabbed an arm load every time. Four or five of us would schedule a "Myron" day, get him over and all congregate at one or the others shop to fix whatever ailed our individual outfits.
That lasted until one of the heavy duty shops in Red Deer figured out how much work they were loosing to Myron and offered him so much money to be their shop foreman that he couldnt turn it down.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist

View attachment 27252

Well, I will be proud of the fact that you've watched a few of my videos :) I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and I'm pretty amateur, so people taking time out of their day to watch means a lot to me!

So longer story about this tool bag...in August I was headed to my aunt's cottage to do a bunch of odd jobs, some carpentry, some electrical, some plumbing, some general fix it sorta things. It's 12 hours away from home, and although they have a bunch of tools out there, I hadn't been in over a decade and so had no idea what was there or not. As such, I pretty well brought everything I thought I needed to do the jobs I was going to do. So rubbermaid bins got loaded with power tools and whatnot, but I still wanted a good selection of hand tools. I found this Dewalt bag on sale for $65 and picked it up to throw hand tools in. For the trip, I stole a bunch of my "good" tools out of my main box and loaded up the bag for the trip. During that week at the cottage, I pretty much just carried that bag from job to job and it was VERY handy. Yeah, I'd have to go grab the circular saw or impact driver or whatever, but covered me for all the hand tools I needed. Hence, when I got back, after emptying my good tools out, I decided to fill it up with my seconds and fill in some blanks by upgrading my good tools to better tools. That's why I now have this bag. Since then, the first use was in replacing a load bearing wall with lots of electrical in it in my basement...the builder did a terrible job on it (story for another day)...but rather than loading up a tool tray with stuff like I normally would, I grabbed the bag instead....saved me a dozen trips up/down to the garage to get individual tools. I really am starting to like it :)

Anyway, as for contents...

Bandages - ya, eventually more first aid will probably go in it, but small cuts I always just rinse under a tap, dry with paper towel, and throw a bandaid on. Having a few handy if I'm away keeps the mess to a minimum, especially if I'm at a neighbours/friends who don't want blood all over things lol

Screwdrivers - one of my amazon deals, found a set of Wera's for really cheap, wasn't complete like the gearwrench set in my main box (hence missing the #3 phillips for instance) but was a good base to start from. They're actually my highest quality screwdrivers, but since I don't have all the styles I want for my main set, it went in the bag. My main box has gearwrench for "good" ones and the mastercrafts make good pry bars and other abusive things lol

Hex drivers - yup, have the Wera multi bit stubby and a regular length handle one as well. I plan to add a security bit set when they go on for cheap (under $5) at princess auto again. As for a drill, I might add a 12v cordless someday (I put one on a christmas list, so we'll see if someone gets me it), there's still space in the main part of the bag for that. Then I'd add some drill bits and such too. Otherwise, for the moment, I will throw one of my regular drills in another tote bag with some bits if I need that.

Fasteners - it's just a random assortment now that I quickly threw together, I used a bunch of these sorta things when up at my aunt's cottage, so it was helpful. Adding wire nuts is a good idea though, I'll do that, and ya, I have a few other specific screw/fastener multi-organizers that have dozens rather than handfuls of screws...I grab that if I'm building something small.

Wrenches/Pliers - I'd like to swap out to a Knipex pliers wrench over the adjustable, I hate adjustables, just waiting on a good sale again for those. The vise grips is a little set of mastercrafts, not original vise grip brand that lives in my main box...that's why the three pairs, it was just that off brand set sticking together. I have just the regular five piece pliers, side cutters, needle, linesman, slip joint, and channellock...same deal, my off brand (even though they're gearwrench, they aren't my knipex/channellock) set. Wire stripper is an old GB that I hardly ever use, but it's sharp and works.

Torch - good idea, I have a micro torch somewhere I could throw in. I do a lot of electrical as well (and am competent at it), so having all the things to wire up outlets/switches/fixtures is definitely useful.

Socket Set - I actually ended up with two of these identical sets at some point, so threw one in the bag. I have a separate larger socket set (you know, those 80-100 piece thingies in a blow molded case) I keep in each of my vehicles. I find most household stuff I do, I don't need a socket set often. I use socket sets for vehicle stuff more often than not, but rarely do I do roadside repairs. Really, the socket set that I have there is enough to change say a car battery or tighten up something in suspension at the side of the road, but that's about it.

Flashlight - just a regular handheld is enough, all those swivel/magnetic things are way more bulky. Funny enough, this tool bag also has a small light built in (that's the little thing just below the handles) that you can swivel around to either point in the bag, or out at the wall. That's my "no hands" extra light if I need it.

Anyway...love the feedback from you guys here :) tool organization is definitely a complicated but fun thing. I have limited space in my garage and do so many different things, so trying to keep all the tools straight and effectively utilize the space is important. It's ever changing though, and honestly, I probably need to weed out a few tools that I pretty much never use anymore because I've upgraded or they just don't work or whatever. Maybe a good winter tidy up project :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Flashlight - just a regular handheld is enough, all those swivel/magnetic things are way more bulky. Funny enough, this tool bag also has a small light built in (that's the little thing just below the handles) that you can swivel around to either point in the bag, or out at the wall. That's my "no hands" extra light if I need it.

Your explanations make sense. Most people are not so lucky though!

Love that your bag has a built in flashlight! Here is my magnetic swivel light on a salad plate for scale. Prolly should have used a toony, but this is what I had where that flashlight is right now. The scaffolding in the background is to install that lamp of my bride's mentioned in another thread.

20221020_134936.jpg

Your video, the comments others have made, and my own thinking about it have me planning a bag like that now. I've basically waited FAR TOO LONG to put one together.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I hear what you're saying about cheap tools for the go-bag, but here's a differing opinion. In my experience cheap tools are a pain, sometimes literally, to use. Slipping wrenches, barked knuckles, broken screwdriver tips, rounded nuts and bolts, stripped out screw heads....

I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

I would not recommend cheap tools either. But I also don't think they need to be (or even should be) the most expensive tools available. I think the right word is "good" tools.

That adjustable wrench I recommended is prolly the cheapest I would normally go. That said, it's also one of the best adjustable wrenches I've ever used! I do love them and highly recommend them.

Same goes for the Stanley Black Oxide. They are not cheap but not the most expensive either. In my mind they are just perfect for grab and go tools.

To me, cheap garbage is just that and belongs in the trash. Sorry if I came across otherwise.

If your grab and go bag is used every day or is a part of your job, then I'd prolly get the best tools I can afford.

mikoyan31

Stewie
@Susquatch worry not. Every one's dividing line between cheap and inexpensive is different. Nigh on twenty years ago now, when I was a younger chap working for an internet service provider, I got used to working with carrier grade equipment, think the kind of gear you see on cell towers and in the huts at their base. After that I could never go back to basic consumer stuff. The good stuff just worked, no futzing with it, reliable, etc. There was a reason the cost was orders of magnitude higher. That attitude has unfortunately crept over into tools and machines. Been hunting for a shop grade pedestal grinder for years without luck. I just can't bring myself to spend $$ on a Canadian Tire or Princess Auto stamped steel flimsy version.

As for the IT bag, I don't do much cabling any more but it was the least liked task. I figured at least the tools would be comfortable, just work, and not be a pain in the fourth point of contact to use. Makes the job a little less unpleasant.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Good video.
Now I need to buy a bag and load it up. Just for the long list of things my wife would like me to do around the house... See what you started!
I never would have thought to add Band-Aids.
Will add that to the list, maybe some polysporin as well.
Well, along with a good fitting muzzle. Just for my occasional profaning bleep words after a long work week.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I try to keep a set of tools on each tractor for field repairs, have a full snap off tool box in the shop for more extensive repairs. getting more difficult to have everything you need in the field though due to metric fasteners. Some stuff has both SAE and Metric on the same machine. No band-aids allowed in the field, if it's a real bad bleeder that lubricates stuck nuts better.