• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shop Tool Box Tour

Shop

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Perhaps this table of Standards sheds some light on why certain size metric spanners are / are not included in sets. Guess it depends which market the set was destined to…
For me, it just raises more questions... No 9 or 15 in any of them.

Yup, I'm sticking with Stupidity.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You might be due for a vision check up, young man, because I can count two “crescent” wrenches, in the pics of my tool box drawers :p

Ya, but they are both in different drawers. Shouldn't they all be together in one drawer? And I bet you have more than two.....

That said, my eyes suck and you know it! So don't be pickin on me for it! They might haul you away for mistreating a "visible" minority! ;)

Edit - I shouldn't really talk. I have two big ones that wouldn't fit in any of my drawers. They are the only way I ever found for tightening a disk gang arbour bolt to 850 foot pounds. You mount them on the far side of the gang jammed against the ground and then use a 4 inch socket on an 6ft cheater pipe on a 4ft Johnson bar to lift on the other end with everything you got. I have a 1000 ft-pound torque adapter to make sure I really get there. It will come loose within 5 acres if you don't.

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Ya, but they are both in different drawers. Shouldn't they all be together in one drawer? And I bet you have more than two.....

That said, my eyes suck and you know it! So don't be pickin on me for it! They might haul you away for mistreating a "visible" minority! ;)
I actually threw away 2-3 crescent wrenches and one of my neighbours dug them out of the scrap pile LOL

When have you EVER seen a 9mm bolt or nut?? That’s like the 11/32 wrench I own and shake my head over :p

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I actually threw away 2-3 crescent wrenches and one of my neighbours dug them out of the scrap pile LOL

When have you EVER seen a 9mm bolt or nut?? That’s like the 11/32 wrench I own and shake my head over

Both my tractors are full of 9mm bolts and nuts.

Pretty sure I've seen 11/32 fasteners too. Just can't remember where.

But lots of 11/32nds grease zirk fittings around! Sometimes a 3/8 is a smidge too big and slips. 11/32 is perfect! I keep a custom 11/32 socket ground flat in a special kit with my zirk fittings. I also have 6mm, 1/4, 5/16, 7mm, 3/8, & 7/16 sockets all ground flat in the kit. Those damn pesky slippery grease zirks need a perfect fit to remove.

Chicken lights

Both my tractors are full of 9mm bolts and nuts.

Pretty sure I've seen 11/32 fasteners too. Just can't remember where.

But lots of 11/32nds grease zirk fittings around! Sometimes a 3/8 is a smidge too big and slips. 11/32 is perfect! I keep a custom 11/32 socket ground flat in a special kit with my zirk fittings. I also have 6mm, 1/4, 5/16, 7mm, 3/8, & 7/16 sockets all ground flat in the kit. Those damn pesky slippery grease zirks need a perfect fit to remove.
I’m not falling for it, but that was a good try!

I’ll raise your ante of 9mm fasteners and say I have a 23mm fastener on a fitting I need to replace

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
That kind of organization is why I keep thinking of buying a 3D printer...

I have a 3d printer...it takes a LOT of time to print stuff, way slower than I ever imagined when I got it. Plus the CAD time and all that, it's not the fastest way of building tool storage but it's certainly the most customizable.

As for the wrench size discussion, NO DOUBT, I hate that a lot of sets skip sizes :(

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I’m not falling for it, but that was a good try!

I’ll raise your ante of 9mm fasteners and say I have a 23mm fastener on a fitting I need to replace

I think I've seen 23mm too. Not really sure about that one. 33 mm for sure.

But I'll show you 9mm and 11/32 next time you are here.

Which might be a while yet. I'm feeling pretty good, but my lady has taken a serious turn for the worse. She was puking this morning and is still testing positive after two weeks. Even worse is that I am doing all the nursing and cooking. I think she is growing tired of eating burned water and she says I look like a purvert dressed up in a nursing outfit with latex gloves and a surgical mask on.

On a serious note, she loved the ready made M&M Chicken Kiev I made her last night.

On second thought, maybe that's why she was sick to her stomach today...... :rolleyes:

Chicken lights

Which might be a while yet. I'm feeling pretty good, but my lady has taken a serious turn for the worse. She was puking this morning and is still testing positive after two weeks. Even worse is that I am doing all the nursing and cooking. I think she is growing tired of eating burned water and she says I look like a purvert dressed up in a nursing outfit with latex gloves and a surgical mask on.

On a serious note, she loved the ready made M&M Chicken Kiev I made her last night.

On second thought, maybe that's why she was sick to her stomach today...... :rolleyes:
Your bride is a saint and I’m not commenting further, I’ve not met her but I can only guess

I draw a hard line with members wives, especially the ones who can shoot

But no, members wives are (for me) off limits, if I meet them and know them I might pick a bit of fun

But who in their right mind messes with someone who will feed them, I’m not that stupid to mess with a good thing

You do you :D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Your bride is a saint and I’m not commenting further, I’ve not met her but I can only guess

I draw a hard line with members wives, especially the ones who can shoot

But no, members wives are (for me) off limits, if I meet them and know them I might pick a bit of fun

But who in their right mind messes with someone who will feed them, I’m not that stupid to mess with a good thing

You do you :D

This is a totally serious response (for the 1st time and prolly the last).

Yes, my bride is a saint. That girl is going straight to heaven. She has suffered enough at my hands to be able to get all of her friends in too.

You will love her when you meet her. I've never met anyone who didn't.

Chicken lights

This is a totally serious response (for the 1st time and prolly the last).

Yes, my bride is a saint. That girl is going straight to heaven. She has suffered enough at my hands to be able to get all of her friends in too.

You will love her when you meet her. I've never met anyone who didn't.
I’ll patiently wait for the opportunity, sir

I’ve met a few members wives and still alive to tell the tale

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member

A mental picture of this “purvert dressed up in a nursing outfit with latex gloves and a surgical mask on” has caused a stack overflow in my brain

SomeGuy

Hobbyist

23mm is the drain plug on something, mazda 3 transmission maybe?

Also, this thread took a weird turn...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
23mm is the drain plug on something, mazda 3 transmission maybe?

Also, this thread took a weird turn...

Yes! That's it! It's the drain plug on small water heaters too! That's where I saw it. In my travel trailer!

Thank you!

Mentioning drains reminds me that many brake bleed valves are 9mm (VW, Volvo, Some Mercedes, Suzuki, and some Ford's). And Suzuki reminds me that my old Suzuki dirt bikes had lots of them. In fact, I think that's what made me go buy my 9mm wrenches and sockets 40 years ago.

Last edited:

It sounds like the diet of burnt water and raw toast is very similar to what my wife survived on when I was in your shoes a couple months ago.
I'm with whydontu on this one; there's sumthin' 'bout the image of a Susquatch running around in a nurses get up that simply corrupts the brain. Things like that might be the nightmare that keeps young impressionable minds such as ours up at night. :eek::oops::)
Seriously though, I hope she takes a turn for the better soon. It's a horrible thing and it just drags it right out of you. Two weeks is getting to be a long time to still be sick. Was going to ask if maybe she was keeping an old positive test around and enjoying the pampering,....... Then, I remembered the nurse's uniform.... Please give her our best from all of us. I'm sure nobody wants to be healthier than her at this point. :D

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
about the only suggestion I would make is get rid of the socket holders with the little plastic peg for the socket to fit over. Had 'em, threw them away, and got the ones with a hole for each socket with a magnet at the bottom of the hole. The wimpy little pegs snap off quite easily.

Chicken lights

9FBD6C14-FFDA-4122-94FF-D3871EDF0616.jpeg If your plier drawer is tall enough, those plier racks (circled in blue) really make a plier drawer neat and tidy

And I guess I’m spending money on 3 row socket trays to replace my two row socket trays. Because who doesn’t own shallow, semi deep and deep sockets in 3/8” drive :D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
When have you EVER seen a 9mm bolt or nut?? That’s like the 11/32 wrench I own and shake my head over

I was greasing my planter on preparation for winter today and suddenly realized why 9mm fittings are so well engrained in my brain.

EVERY 6mm-1 and 8mm-1 zirc fitting on all my equipment has a 9mm hex head on it!

I also dragged out my metric zirc assortment and looked at my zirc tools - all of the 6 and 8 mm zircs are 9mm. So I think that settles that.

It probably explains why many brake bleeds are 9mm too.

At the same time, I was flabbergasted to see that contrary to my absolute conviction about it, NONE of my SAE Zirks are 11/32. So that makes me wonder where the heck I use that! And why did I think it was Zirks but yet didn't remember the 9mm Zirks? I do have an 11/32 socket ground flat in my zirk kit though so maybe it's just to deal with the odd 3/8 fitting that is undersized or slips.

Or maybe it fits the odd old zirk and won't get used till it gets replaced.... I did take the time to modify a special socket for that though so I dunno.

Last edited:

Chicken lights

I was greasing my planter on preparation for winter today and suddenly realized why 9mm fittings are so well engrained in my brain.

EVERY 6mm-1 and 8mm-1 zirc fitting on all my equipment has a 9mm hex head on it!

I also dragged out my metric zirc assortment and looked at my zirc tools - all of the 6 and 8 mm zircs are 9mm. So I think that settles that.

It probably explains why many brake bleeds are 9mm too.

At the same time, I was flabbergasted to see that contrary to my absolute conviction about it, NONE of my SAE Zirks are 11/32. So that makes me wonder where the heck I use that! And why did I think it was Zirks but yet didn't remember the 9mm Zirks? I do have an 11/32 socket ground flat in my zirk kit though so maybe it's just to deal with the odd 3/8 fitting that is undersized or slips.

Or maybe it fits the odd old zirk and won't get used till it gets replaced.... I did take the time to modify a special socket for that though so I dunno.
I’m not saying I don’t believe your judgement, I’ll walk back my comment and say I’ve never seen a need for 9mm, personally

Unless it was to smash onto a rusty nut that had shrunk in size a bit, maybe

6, 7, 8 and 10 are common for me, even 5.5 once in a blue moon. Which is also silly, to have a half metric size jump