• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool box organization

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
What would you guys use for just a tool box drawer liner? For the bottom of the drawers

Where or how do you guys keep drill bits organized? Hole saws? Reamers?

I’m thinking a separate small tool box with drawers for drill bits and holesaws

Brian Ross

For drawer liner, try the dollar store. You can get thin rubber drawer liner 3-4 feet long by about 18 inches wide for a couple of bucks. Way cheaper than the stuff that is sold for tool box drawer liner.
For organizing drills, I made a bunch of wooden troughs that I cut up and glued together. This is a picture of the fractional and letter drills:
P_20190412_194054_vHDR_On.jpg

There is a space for every size (though quite a few are empty) and there is another drawer for number drills. This was my effort to organize a bunch of drills I got from my wife's uncle who was an aircraft mechanic and acquired a lot of drills over the years.

Chicken lights

Ok, drawer liner wasn’t that expensive. $10 for a 2’x4’ piece.

Ordered in a small tool chest 20”x15”x8” with four drawers for small stuff.

I’m thinking I’m going to pull out some of the injection moulded cases of tools that don’t really need to be in a drawer.

They make a drawer divider kit, but I’m thinking I can make up my own with some aluminum flat stock
B07CF351-AE2E-4AFE-AB10-7FB595EBA357.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I ordered these a few days ago from DMH supply. Not essential but good for running manual machines without a DRO They both have magnetic backs so I can stick them to the ways and meashure tool movement

Attachments

• 20190417_102427.jpg
    20190417_102427.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I ordered these a few days ago from DMH supply. Not essential but good for running manual machines without a DRO They both have magnetic backs so I can stick them to the ways and meashure tool movement
I have had DMH’s web page open on my phone for a couple of months now, i was going to ask the forum if they had and experience with them, like prices?, service? Availability? Can you share?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Prices seem good. It was$85 for the 0-2" and $43 for the 0-1" . that price included the magnetic backs. The main reason I ordered from DMH was they deliver

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
DMH carries Sowa catalog items http://www.sowatool.com/
plus accesses other specific lines depending on what they are - cutters vs tools vs measurement instruments. Kind of like a Thomas Skinner Lite.
Some things are more, some things less $. I've had good customer service for the few things I've purchased through them. Its worth a visit to grab some catalogs because the website (beyond Sowa) inst really reflective of what they can bring in.

Alex when you say deliver - I assume you mean to your machine shop?

Chicken lights

6FA9CB3E-0610-4531-B361-477C15C2AB9C.jpeg CE6C330B-A417-4D41-B459-6D841A5D9BBF.jpeg
New drawer liner, took out everything from that drawer and moved my air tools into it. It looks like a mess, I haven’t really thought of how to better organize it.

Moved my carbide bit holder onto the top shelf. I’m not really happy with it there, it should be just sockets up there. We’ll see, it may grow on me. It won’t fit in the air tool drawer, where it belongs.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Nine hours printing. Probably $10 in filament. I’m printing a R8 tray next.

Attachments

• 2A39B9C2-931E-4FAB-9897-834CDA22BB87.jpeg
    2A39B9C2-931E-4FAB-9897-834CDA22BB87.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 0

Tom O

Ultra Member
Nine hours printing. Probably $10 in filament. I’m printing a R8 tray next.
Nice that looks fairly big how big is your build plate?
I picked up some more filament from Solarbotics to try it’s the water soluble support material it apparently will dissolve in about 3 hours so I’ll find out if it will work on the Makerbot 2X. Makerbot has some but requires their solution to dissolve it ( at a rotten price I might add! )

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
For these bigger ones I used the default prusa slicer settings and let it take its time.

R8 tray and mill cutters tray. Not sure why they are upsidown?!? Fixed images... Now I need a Tray for R8 drill chucks and bigger tools.

Attachments

• 2646A333-6E63-4FE1-BA73-CFDC54251758.jpeg
    2646A333-6E63-4FE1-BA73-CFDC54251758.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 1
  • EE1A7FB0-5A3A-4BA0-B52E-C6454279D2BB.jpeg
    EE1A7FB0-5A3A-4BA0-B52E-C6454279D2BB.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm now printing a bigger tray for the chucks, 16 hour print... I tried turning up the speed, went too high, wrecked it after 4 hours. Restart.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Nineteen hours for the red tray. About $16 in filament! Could probably come up with. More efficient design. But here it is.

Attachments

• E08AD23E-A019-440C-A7B9-D680AE5EC8A7.jpeg
    E08AD23E-A019-440C-A7B9-D680AE5EC8A7.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0