Today's Project - making washers from Pennies

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Take a good look at them, some dates if in good shape are worth a lot of money, I sold one silver dollar for > $1k quite a while ago. If you do sell make the trip to Waterloo, one of the very rare honest coin shops
Your kidding?! I'll have to look into that. Of the the top of your head what sort of vintage is worth the big coin?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Take a good look at them, some dates if in good shape are worth a lot of money, I sold one silver dollar for > $1k quite a while ago. If you do sell make the trip to Waterloo, one of the very rare honest coin shops

Do you remember the name of the place?

Brian H

Super User
I am rebuilding a Perkins 1104 Engine at my part time job. I'm not sure how I got talked into that. Last week I got it probably 80% reassembled. I managed to loose one of the copper washer for the banjo bolts for the turbo oil line. I was expecting new ones in the gasket set but no luck. A lot of the parts have had to come from other countries for this job. Rather than try to order some I spent a few minutes at the lathe and problem solved. I have a container that had some pennies for some reason. I made an arbour and faced and drilled them.
View attachment 39330

View attachment 39331

The finished product after heating and annealing.
View attachment 39332
What a fabulous solution. One question, did you bore a small step in the arbor to keep the penny straight?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
A small step in the arbor of course! What diameter did you bore the hole vs the penny diameter? and then bandsaw it open?

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Do you remember the name of the place?

Kirk was my contact, and he was a pleasure to work with. Prior to meeting Kirk, I visited most of the shops in the GTA and did not find even one that I could trust, most of them would offer you 10% of their actual value. The tricky thing about coins is their value is based on the grade of the coin and one grade change for rare coins can equate to hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Way back my dad did appraisals and told me to never ever leave a collection with a dealer for appraisal. At one point he appraised the same collection twice in about two years, it was a very good collection and there was one ultra rare coin in that collection that got "downgraded" during an appraisal by a sketchy dealer. The difference in value today IIRC would be 100k, the owner had no idea what had happened, my father was quite upset at the time but nothing could be done.

If in doubt pickup a copy of the Charlton guide, it does a decent job of showing what defines one grade vs. another and lets you determine if you have anything rare, if you do, get it certified.

I sold everything quite a while back, including a 1948 MS-62, I also had a really rare dime, it's entertaining to watch these guys when they spot a good one, they look and then really examine it and then want to show it to everyone in the shop.

A super rare 36 dot, 1c sold for over $400,000 recently, now that would be the worlds most expensive washer;-)

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I sold one silver dollar for > $1k quite a while ago.
wow Im gonna have to get my coin collection out and have somebody do an assessment on it. I was given this collection 20 yrs ago as part payment in a gun deal and has sat in a box my basement ever since. When i received the box I did a "sorting & cataloguing ". I totaled about a $300 face value of mostly1920's & 30's coins of all denominations and a handful of bills of the same era.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I have a dime struck on one side only the shop said it’s worthless without the other one.
Some quite valuable coins are mint screw-ups, one year the stamping machine had stamped one side of the coins in the machine and then they changed the stamp, so some coins had the characteristics of two different years, I forget the year etc. A few examples listed here https://cdncoin.com/collections/error-coins

Upnorth

I have a dime struck on one side only the shop said it’s worthless without the other one.
If it's real it's worth something to someone who collects error coins. It's also possible it's some sort of shop made thing or some type of magician's coin.

I have a product which I use, it's call: Crystalbond 509. It's sold by SPI Supplies. Works like a charm,
If you're interested I can send you a small piece. If you want to see how it works, lookup
Tom Lipton (Oxtool) on his youtube channel.