Today's Project - making washers from Pennies

terry_g

Ultra Member
I am rebuilding a Perkins 1104 Engine at my part time job. I'm not sure how I got talked into that. Last week I got it probably 80% reassembled. I managed to loose one of the copper washer for the banjo bolts for the turbo oil line. I was expecting new ones in the gasket set but no luck. A lot of the parts have had to come from other countries for this job. Rather than try to order some I spent a few minutes at the lathe and problem solved. I have a container that had some pennies for some reason. I made an arbour and faced and drilled them.
11.JPG

12.JPG

The finished product after heating and annealing.
13.JPG

I am rebuilding a Perkins 1104 Engine at my part time job. I'm not sure how I got talked into that. Last week I got it probably 80% reassembled. I managed to loose one of the copper washer for the banjo bolts for the turbo oil line. I was expecting new ones in the gasket set but no luck. A lot of the parts have had to come from other countries for this job. Rather than try to order some I spent a few minutes at the lathe and problem solved. I have a container that had some pennies for some reason. I made an arbour and faced and drilled them.
View attachment 39330

View attachment 39331

The finished product after heating and annealing.
View attachment 39332
Well done by the way..... Best return on your money you could ask for....

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Big jar of pennies in my shop. Home Depot charges $14 for a 200-count jar of 5/16” flat washers. Or 7x the cost of a penny. 5 seconds with the Whitney 11/32” punch and I save 6 cents!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Doesn't everyone have a coffee can full of them for playing Rumoli?
We have cans of Nickels for Rumolli that we might put another roll in every couple years we’ve even had a few quarter games but the Dollar game was my late brothers dream!

Tom O

Ultra Member
My Mom has a bracelet that was made at the Victoria Dockyards years ago that was dished Pennie’s linked together dated from the 50’s.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Big jar of pennies in my shop. Home Depot charges $14 for a 200-count jar of 5/16” flat washers. Or 7x the cost of a penny. 5 seconds with the Whitney 11/32” punch and I save 6 cents!
Mostly though you don’t have to go to the store and you get to use fun tools!

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Careful where you are discussing this good use for a penny-

FYI:
Section 456 of the Criminal Code of Canada ensures that the currency's integrity is maintained by seeking to deter individuals from defacing or using defaced currency. Defacing coins is a criminal offence punishable by summary conviction, meaning it is considered a minor offence.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Nice repurpose. I've made crush washers from flattened and annealed copper pipe before. If you flatten it, then drill the center hole, and finally a gasket punch for the od, you can get 2 for one shot. Obviously not as precise as turning, but servicable. A few of my motorcycles used them over the years on the oil drain plug.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Canadian pennies have near zero copper after 1997

Wow! I did not know that or expect it! I wonder if a nickel is really all nickel and I doubt a dime is silver. Quarters, Loonies, and Toonies are just as suspect!

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As a kid i collected coins. Other than some short run commemorative coins, our Canadian coins have not had silver since (about) 1967. Older Canadian coins are more rare now because they are worth far more for their silver content that their face value and have been melted down for the silver.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Wow! I did not know that or expect it! I wonder if a nickel is really all nickel and I doubt a dime is silver. Quarters, Loonies, and Toonies are just as suspect!
I was wondering if nickels could serve as a source of nickel for electro plating with nickel. So I looked into it. There is Hardly any nickel in nickels except for old 60s 70s nickels.

Upnorth

I was wondering if nickels could serve as a source of nickel for electro plating with nickel. So I looked into it. There is Hardly any nickel in nickels except for old 60s 70s nickels.
If you want larger and pure nickel. The Canadian 1 dollar coins from the 1970"s (or at least the early 1970s) are pure nickel and only worth face value.

slow-poke

Ultra Member

Silver long gone. Back in the late 70's when there was still a fair bit of silver circulating, my dad would pickup about 10-20 rolls a day from the bank across the street from his work place. At night he would pull out the silver coins and then re roll to return the next day. He accumulated hundreds of pounds and then when silver went to $50 an once in 1980 he sold for double his investment.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Silver long gone. Back in the late 70's when there was still a fair bit of silver circulating, my dad would pickup about 10-20 rolls a day from the bank across the street from his work place. At night he would pull out the silver coins and then re roll to return the next day. He accumulated hundreds of pounds and then when silver went to $50 an once in 1980 he sold for double his investment.

If my bride hasn't found them and swiped them, I'm pretty sure I have some silver dollars stashed away from well before the 50s and 60s.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
If my bride hasn't found them and swiped them, I'm pretty sure I have some silver dollars stashed away from well before the 50s and 60s.
Take a good look at them, some dates if in good shape are worth a lot of money, I sold one silver dollar for > $1k quite a while ago. If you do sell make the trip to Waterloo, one of the very rare honest coin shops