• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CA-ON Today's "new" steel prices - ptbo, on area

Ontario
Type
Supplies

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Just posting for those curious about steel prices. Also a recommendation for anybody in the Peterborough and surrounding area, Kawartha metals walk in section is a pretty good spot to buy material for the small time home gamer. Much cheaper than the hardware store, or Princess Auto. Hours are a bit tough for the working man, at 10-4 m-f only though.
x2oGBO8.jpg
n0PJQeQ.jpg

I got what I came for (flatbar, sq tube and angle), and a 116lbs of drops and stuff that I didn't know I needed lol. Always the way..... I should be set for a few more projects at least.....

Stay tuned to see this steel get used in upcoming projects over the next decade or so :D.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Wow, just compared to prices in Alberta and our Calgary small buyer prices are about 10% lower.
For example, 1" x 1" 1/8 angle would be 11.20 not 12.84.

I did not expect ON to be more.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I'm sure it probably varies a lot depending where in Ontario. Closer to GTA in higher volume places it's probably cheaper. Depends on the profile too. Not always a straight $/lb comparison. Certain things are more, some less, But enough to spitball guesstimates. I don't really buy enough, regularly to really keep track.

Peterborough is pretty isolated, so Kawartha Metals is pretty much the only game in town. I've always found them to be fair. I don't mind paying a bit more if I don't have to drive into the city lol. That's the tax that ain't worth paying for me. I usually only work half days sometimes on fridays, so I can duck out and swing by on my way home. Pretty convenient. Imight stop again on the way home, because I thought of a few more things I should have got for various other projects I'd rather buy now before the snow flys, and I have to shovel out the trailer etc.

It's not GST, it's HST. The H stands for "hold your ankles"

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Your 1x1/8 flat bar would be 14.90 for 10 ft at Alwynn Steel in Regina.
So much for the Saskatchewan advantage.
But at least we're no longer paying the carbon tax on home heating, at least until somebody gets spanked by the feds.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Yes. That's why I said GST. HST is GST + PST. They have no PST.

I remember when they introduced hst in Manitoba....feds dropped the gst 2% and the province hopped over to "hst".....just added that 2% to thier cut....what a bunch of crooks

Glad I'm over here in 'berta with only gst......for now at least

Rauce

Ultra Member
Best place around here (Beach Road Steel) is owned by the same family that owns a big scrap yard in town. They keep a lot of “secondary” material on hand and you can get a great deal. Prices on new material are also excellent if you’re buying full lengths.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
“secondary” material

do you mean used? like good scrap, hard to find places that sell used any more! There were some great deals to be had, you could always find big off cut plate, and pay like 50c a lb for it!

Rauce

Ultra Member
do you mean used? like good scrap, hard to find places that sell used any more! There were some great deals to be had, you could always find big off cut plate, and pay like 50c a lb for it!
Yup, they have an outdoor yard where they put stuff from the scrap operation that they think they can sell for more than they get melting it down.

Mostly structural steel, I beams, diamond plate, grating, pipe. Sell by the pound, not sure what the going rate is now.

There are a couple bins and racks in one corner of the yard for aluminum, stainless and alloy steel. I bought some 4140 rectangular bar real cheap there a few years ago.

These days I’m usually there buying stuff for my employer.

This is in Hamilton so it makes sense. Lots of heavy industry in the area.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
This is in Hamilton so it makes sense. Lots of heavy industry in the area.

All cities have big scrap yards, just about every commercial building in this country is built with I beam, plate, angle, etc. just no many are willing to sell used stuff anymore it's unfortunately. If you have one that still does that's a gem!

slow-poke

Ultra Member
GTA was great for recycler, typical yard like you would expect, lots of mud much like auto wreckers yard and really good prices.

Ottawa the place looks like a pharmaceutical head office mirror glass on exterior, perfectly paved parking lot, reception area the size of a house with couches and fancy receptionist etc, and no we don't sell to the public, please leave now. Two completely different worlds.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
My local scrap yard still sells, and lets you wander and pick. Last of a dying breed. Last time I was there (spring 2023) it was $0.80/lb on the way out, but that might have changed since. I have a trailer full of shred that needs to go soon, so I'll check when I take it in. I need to do some wandering and scrounging for some big solid rounds if they have any for a tire hammer build. But with the projected snowfall this Friday, I don't think I'll be able to until the spring now. Time to put build projects on hold and go skiing.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I remember when they introduced hst in Manitoba....
We have GST and PST

(Interestingly (not really…) I found out that there is also RST, which gets applied on some engineering services but not others- wonderfully confusing. I bet there are other “ST’s)

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
We have GST and PST

(Interestingly (not really…) I found out that there is also RST, which gets applied on some engineering services but not others- wonderfully confusing. I bet there are other “ST’s)

my memory may be fuzzy, its been a long while since i lived there, may have been they talked about it and it never came in, but what i do remember clearly was the gst going down and there still being 14% sales tax, province added the extra 2%, although i think its down to what, 13% total now

Just posting for those curious about steel prices. Also a recommendation for anybody in the Peterborough and surrounding area, Kawartha metals walk in section is a pretty good spot to buy material for the small time home gamer. Much cheaper than the hardware store, or Princess Auto. Hours are a bit tough for the working man, at 10-4 m-f only though.
View attachment 42544
View attachment 42543

I got what I came for (flatbar, sq tube and angle), and a 116lbs of drops and stuff that I didn't know I needed lol. Always the way..... I should be set for a few more projects at least.....

Stay tuned to see this steel get used in upcoming projects over the next decade or so :D.
Kawartha has always treated me well, they deliver right to my door 2x a week if I need them to. I’m about 2 hours east of you down hwy 7. And remember the more you buy the cheaper it gets!

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Best place around here (Beach Road Steel)
I bought from Metal Supermarket because they were handy. A couple of years ago i started using B&D Steel in Burlington- close by, good selection, and better prices than M Supermarket. A few months ago I tried Beach Rd - just a 10 minute further drive but way better prices. As Rauce said, they have cut-offs you can pick through and save even more. I was there on Friday and got a 10 ft piece of 1” x 3/8” bar. It had a little bend but cost less than $18 taxes in. That included cutting it so it would fit in the SUV. The picture is tubing cut-offs from my Friday visit.
C9831911-F971-4442-9083-DA7F51D19575.jpeg