• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Who is ultimately responsible for providing an accurate weight for the load?
Generally the shipper

So, the game goes like this. The shipper says “x” for weight. The driver straps it all down, drives to the nearest scale, weighs it, if it’s wrong then the driver has to either a) inform the company of said transgression or b) keep it under his hat. Now it’s up to the driver to accept the over weight ticket possibility OR drive back and have it fixed by the shipper

However, this means the shipper needs to be still open and willing to cut the load. Loading on a Friday afternoon and the shipper closing means the driver has to face sitting until Monday OR finding roads with no weigh scales :D

In this case, the shipper told the office they were loading 42,000 pounds on both trucks, when in reality they loaded 50-60,000 pounds. (both trucks are different loads) The nearest scale from north bay is either new Liskeard or Sudbury. Sudbury scale was broken due to cold and there aren’t many others on 17 (that a long load can access)

We DO have air gauges that provide rough weight estimates in the trucks or on the trailers but it’s within 5000 pounds, it’s not that accurate

It’s a game, that I don’t always enjoy playing

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The piece of pipe I ditch isn’t my problem any longer

I hope

Somebody probably still needs to get it the rest of the way

I had guessed that the brain dead guy in dispatch would send out another truck to pickup the two dropped pipes.

But..... @Chicken lights comment.

Makes me realize they could always send him back for them...... That would really winter a few very unhappy pigs.....

I'm praying for you @Chicken lights.......

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Susquatch : we go 24/7 so it helps. Running on 2 engines full steam we make 22 km/hour. We left Thunder Bay on Friday and arrived Sarnia Sunday and we had some delays at the locks in the Soo and had some ice breaking going through the North Channel - I will have to get a distance covered for you if you wish because I am not a navigator - I only fix things....LOL

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch : we go 24/7 so it helps. Running on 2 engines full steam we make 22 km/hour. We left Thunder Bay on Friday and arrived Sarnia Sunday and we had some delays at the locks in the Soo and had some ice breaking going through the North Channel - I will have to get a distance covered for you if you wish because I am not a navigator - I only fix things....LOL

I'd bet big bucks you can navigate almost as well as you fix. Maybe better..... ;)

No worries though. I know the distance well enough. I'm just sayin that it's way faster than a truck parked in the snow waiting for a brainless idiot to come up with a solution......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Btw, my oldest son is a trucker. His wife is a dispatcher.

I shared some of the dispatcher humour here with them when they were here for supper on Sunday.

Thought my bride was going to swallow her tongue and got a few kicks under the table. But my daughter in law thought they were hilarious and my son said that the humour was usually spot on - but didn't apply to his bride......

My bride might be talking to me again a month from now.....

Chicken lights

Are you progressing west now? What did the crane cost and who gets to eat that bill? You ditched one piece of pipe correct?
Yep, meandering west once more. Almost made Saskatoon.
They actually brought in another truck, so they craned one off each of our guys trucks, and set both on the third guys. Restrapped and rolled

No idea on the crane cost, that’ll be the shipping company’s problem.

Chicken lights

Btw, my oldest son is a trucker. His wife is a dispatcher.

I shared some of the dispatcher humour here with them when they were here for supper on Sunday.

Thought my bride was going to swallow her tongue and got a few kicks under the table. But my daughter in law thought they were hilarious and my son said that the humour was usually spot on - but didn't apply to his bride......

My bride might be talking to me again a month from now.....
Dispatch sent us a weather alert, from the place near Edmonton. You DO know that trucks have windows, right dispatch? We can see what the weathers doing just fine. Sheesh :D

Enjoy the silence, your bride sounds a little bossy :p
(kidding)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Dispatch sent us a weather alert, from the place near Edmonton. You DO know that trucks have windows, right dispatch? We can see what the weathers doing just fine. Sheesh :D

Enjoy the silence, your bride sounds a little bossy :p
(kidding)

Actually ya, she can be a little bossy. But I love her anyway. Besides, she is a fantastic cook.

I wonder if she could weld......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here ya go!

Just finished laughing out loud at @Tomc938 s comment about his package from @GerryinBelleRiver that I woke the bride up. Then I see this and laughed out loud again....

Had to think real fast...... Decided to share the Christmas gift story instead.

She smiled one of the wry twisted smiles she gets when she doesn't think it's funny at all. But I'm still on the green side of the grass.