Things that break

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey Don - do you have one of those electric power meters that you plug in and then plug the fridge or whatever into it. It then measures your power use? I had mine on the window AC this year to add up what it actually cost me. I would be interested to hear what that 72 year never quit fridge actually burns in electricity. My old almond fridge said 1700kwh/yr ( $340 at $0.2/kwh) vs my newer frigidaire claiming ~400kwh/yr ($80/year). I measured the fridge using the meter, it really was 400 kwh a year.
Yes you know I do. Several years ago I ran the fridge and freezer through the unit for days and calculated out consumption. I wrote down both values but for some reason the fridge consumption data went AWOL. The freezer which is about 60 years old and is HUGE consumes 1400 kwh/year, which I didn't think was terrible/terrible considering its size. I now keep a foam pad over the lid and I believe the added insulation makes a difference.

I don't remember the exact number for the fridge consumption but I remember it being not nearly as bad as I figured it would be and was quite pleasantly surprised. I think the fact that it is not a large fridge by today's standards helped, but the biggest energy conserving feature I think comes from the fact that this old fridge is not the frostless freezer design of today's. The frostless freezer requires extra energy to prevent the buildup of frost in the freezer compartment.

I dug out my energy meter again about a year ago and ran the fridge through it for a week but there is something haywire with the meter as it did not calculate the long term consumption. I need to get a new meter I guess cuz I think it's important to know these things.

Last edited:

Downwindtracker2

Australia is no longer like this but when went there 15 years ago, they still had a quality mind set. My son was building an Aussie style camping trailer for off road camping. We visited a RV show to pick up pamphlets for ideas. There was a tent trailer shown, much like we have here. Since we had a tent trailer at home, I only too well knew the construction details . The Aussie one was twice the price, but three times the quality. At the time, Aussie tradesmen made less than me, maybe 25% .

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a full 16 circuit emporia as well as two wall plug emporia units. They do a very good job. You pair them with your phone and then you get overall power including time of day premiums.

I think they are out of stock at Amazon cuz I can't find them there. But that's where I bought mine.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
We have a very old set of Henckles. We probably bought it 40 years ago. We were told never to let the knives soak - instead clean and dry right away. When we got the dishwasher 25 years ago, we were told never to put things with handles in it. That old set is still good as new.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that things with handles should not be soaked or put in a dishwasher.

Knives should only be hand washed without dunking...anyone that does otherwise probably also has the dullest crappiest knives ever and will come nowhere near mine.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Knives should only be hand washed without dunking...anyone that does otherwise probably also has the dullest crappiest knives ever and will come nowhere near mine.
A kitchen knife in my opinion should be made to handle a dishwasher cleaning. Stainless steel will not be hurt by machine washing, how you place them in there can dull them, but that is easily overcome by a little common sense. That leaves the handle material and fastner and there are alot of good choices for a kitchen knife that can handle water, detergent, bleach, etc, wood is not one of them.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
A kitchen knife in my opinion should be made to handle a dishwasher cleaning. Stainless steel will not be hurt by machine washing, how you place them in there can dull them, but that is easily overcome by a little common sense. That leaves the handle material and fastner and there are alot of good choices for a kitchen knife that can handle water, detergent, bleach, etc, wood is not one of them.

Dishwasher detergent is slightly abrasive and will wear the knife...I will throw the cheap steak knives through, but any of my actual kitchen knives won't go through.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

So, the problem is that the best knives typically have wood handles.....

I agree that one should be able to get knives that can handle a dishwasher, although blade dulling is prolly inevitable.

But there is a difference between your prized knives and your junk knives.

In a way its sort of like gold leaf on China. My mother put her good gold leaf China in the dishwasher. The gold leaf was gone. She was some pissed off!

Yes, melnac and correll can handle a dishwasher but it's not your fine China.

Fine China and fine knives shouldn't go in the dishwasher. Your everyday dishes and knives can.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
This knife was labeled dishwasher safe. I think the handle (plastic) fatigue cracked & failed from repeated stress and strain. I don't think the dishwasher helped. What do I make a new handle out of? wood....maybe, opinions differ, but what kind of wood? I suppose I could 3d print a handle too. Nylon or PC perhaps.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
This knife was labeled dishwasher safe. I think the handle (plastic) fatigue cracked & failed from repeated stress and strain. I don't think the dishwasher helped. What do I make a new handle out of? wood....maybe, opinions differ, but what kind of wood? I suppose I could 3d print a handle too. Nylon or PC perhaps.
I hear cheese is pretty tough:p

I'll see myself out.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Plastics, resin/micarta, laminates, woods, brass, bone, etc, etc. So many beautiful options but if dishwasher or long soaks are in the future for it, I'd only use completely water resistant material. Not as beautiful but with a kitchen knife function usually trumps beauty (at least in my world).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Unless you are really attached to it, I'd just use the steel in another project and buy a new one.

If you are determined to keep it, I love @whydontu's plastic cheese.

Or I'd go with a really hard heavy wood like ipe, teak, rosewood, or even a laminate thereof and also stop putting it in the diswasher.

If you really need diswasher safe, how about a chunk of car tire? Or epoxy resin, or or or.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist

Shouldn't 3d print, there isn't a food safe 3d printed material available for the average home printers.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Yeah no thanks, the filament itself might be food safe, but 3d printing inherently leaves voids (ie the infill) where you can't clean that will grow bacteria.
Exactly. The surface has imperfections too where mold can grow.

On the other hand the inside of the Henkel handle parts had some gunk in it too. One piece handles make more sense.